Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

43 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I have no clue how Hereditary is going to do with no marketing on TV (it still hasn't aired any ads). Social media buzz can only get you so far on its own.

the trailer played big when i saw it in front of deadpool 2!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

TA4 next year is gonna be nice to put to rest these arguments once and for all that TLJ "had" to drop huge because TFA made 2b. IW will make 2B, and I'd bet money TA4 will get damn close if not pass it. Unless of course it's somehow very divisive and off putting to a large audience, ala TLJ. 

That makes no sense at all.

TA4 is the 2nd part of a 2 parter

TLJ was the middle film of a trilogy

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I have no clue how Hereditary is going to do with no marketing on TV (it still hasn't aired any ads). Social media buzz can only get you so far on its own.

It seems like a movie that plays good with critics, but general audience will hate it.

Edited by Alli

34 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I was saying less and less effort now (those example above are extreme laziness, like if BP would get only 50% dbo....)

Sony leak show the merchandise revenues for every movies, the spider man when they have the merchandise were above 100m for example.

Thank you :wub:

I planned to go back to the post but didn't find it maybe bcs I jump to the PC only in between rebuilding here something and gardening... and being tired = it was a me not good enough in English to understand a little detail to be SURE, not your text (strangely that I can ~ feel sometimes out of an English text).

To write in English is way more simple, as I use the words I know (or think I know)

Sometime before the  leak they seem to have been similar lazy, sadly that leads again and again to heated discussion bcs ppl think when they know ~ BO actuals the rest of their articles is also equal in the know

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

That makes no sense at all.

TA4 is the 2nd part of a 2 parter

TLJ was the middle film of a trilogy

The Two Towers was the middle of a film trilogy. That trilogy’s grosses may look a little tepid by 2018 standards, but they were worldwide monsters for their time. 35% drops don’t happen to well received films for no reason other than just organic ones. There’s nothing organic about that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

The Two Towers was the middle of a film trilogy. That trilogy’s grosses may look a little tepid by 2018 standards, but they were worldwide monsters for their time. 35% drops don’t happen to well received films for no reason other than just organic ones. There’s nothing organic about that. 

So youre ignoring the other 2 SW trilogies.. AGAIN. Keep it up, there is another 18 months to go until you are proven wrong.

46 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

TLJ did not flop. At all. Not even close. It disappointed some members because it didn't meet their predictions. But it didn't flop. It was still a success.

damn do you guys still argue semantics like this? ok fine it underperformed. it had drastically worse legs than every other movie that opened over 200m. the fact of the matter is that it failed to recapture a large amount of tfa's audience, not all of it obviously, but it could have done 750-850m if it had simply been a natural sequel to tfa rather than a slog of an essay from rian johnson on how much he hates every character except for kylo ren.

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Because PM had shitty reception.

AOTC had worse but ROTS went up. Empire had great reception, but Jedi went up. Quality means nothing in the SW universe.

Solo has not dropped so bad because of quality, its dropped because its pointless and internationally because its pointless and no one cares about Han Solo.

7 hours ago, katsdada said:

Just something I've been thinking...

Does Disney even care about box office? I mean like Netflix..it's all about content..so if you can break even in cinema..and video sales..you just got some content for your streaming service for free 

If a movie break even in Cinema it would be on is way to be a huge success (that would be according to the rumored numbers Solo doing 1 billion at the box office or so to break even in Cinema), if the question does studio care about the breaking even in cinema non-sense , obviously they do not. Except for the Get Out, IT, Black Panther, maybe Infinity War depending on people bonus, A quiet place maybe, it is really rare that it happen.

But Disney still does care a lot about how much is movies make at the box office in my opinion.

https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2017-Annual-Report.pdf

In 2017 Disney Studio entertainment division made 8.38b in revenues and 2.355b in operating income.

From those 8,379 millions made in the division here the revenues breakdown:

Theatrical distribution: 2.903b (35%)

Home ent: 1.798b (21.5%)

TV/SVOD other: 3.678b (44%)

------------------------------------------

So first has you see it is mostly about content not all about it (65% of it right there and it would be much more if you take the values created among the Parks divisions and consumer product / video games divisions theatrical has), but it is still a giant amount, bigger than the division operating income.

And everything else is push by the theatrical windows, how popular in theater tend to determine a lot how popular you will be on the bigger for studios homeEnt/TV-SVOD windows, how popular the park attraction of those movies will be, how popular the consumer product about them and the video games will be also. The correlation is quite strong.

Everything fall down from it and even if the revenues does not come directly from theatrical, the values was mostly created there (and a bit why it is unfair to consider the theatrical cost expense pure as a theatrical expense, it is publicity for everything else for the future at the same time).

There is obvious exception a la Fight Club, Pitch Perfect 1 and so on, but for made for the theater blockbuster receiving an over 150m sales pitch to convince people to see it in theater... it is a really bad sign for it's content value if it is rejected now, see Star Wars: Battlefront licensing revenues dropping with the Star Wars box office drop. Licensing for disney in 2017 were 600m lower than 2016 in good part because of Frozen/Star Wars doing down (while helped by Cars come back) and 130m lower in retail.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

So youre ignoring the other 2 SW trilogies.. AGAIN. Keep it up, there is another 18 months to go until you are proven wrong.

The hard part will be getting increases in Asia and LA. I could see how Europe, Australia, Dom could increase over TLJ. But the SW brand is prety much dead in LA and Asia.

1 minute ago, GirafficPark said:

What on earth are you on about? I already rebutted your comparison of TLJ to the other two SW trilogies. To short hand it again for you: ESB didn’t drop much comparing first runs and AOTC dropped hard because TPM backlash had set in and AOTC wasn’t liked. So tell me again how TLJ dropping like AOTC wasn’t because of the reception? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

TTT is irrelvant. For a start FOTR was awesome as was TTT, that helps big time, they also had huge international appeal that SW doesnt have.

Just now, GirafficPark said:

TTT is irrelvant. For a start FOTR was awesome as was TTT, that helps big time, they also had huge international appeal that SW doesnt have.

I guess I’m confused about what you’re trying to argue here at this point? Yes I know FOTR and TTT both had incredible reception, hence the increase. I’m saying TLJ dropped hard because of the reception. What exactly are you saying?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

What on earth are you on about? I already rebutted your comparison of TLJ to the other two SW trilogies. To short hand it again for you: ESB didn’t drop much comparing first runs and AOTC dropped hard because TPM backlash had set in and AOTC wasn’t liked. So tell me again how TLJ dropping like AOTC wasn’t because of the reception? 

You didnt rebutt it, you made a claim, I rejected it. A rebuttal implies you had authority of accuracy, which you don't have, you only have an opinion.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

For the record, I think it's pointless for people not directly involved in a film's finances to speculate about its profitability. You don't know, you won't know, and you can't know.

Versus the non pointless talk that could ever occur on a box office message board, I fully get what you say, when even studio get it wrong, imagine people that does not even have the real budget numbers and the retention rate contract, talent contract, etc... info like us, Deadline people can get it wrong by more than 100%, imagine us.

But it is not like we could engage in a non pointless speculation about something else regarding movies....

• Haha 1