Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

For SW to come back with the vengeance, they need to brutally cut what doesn't work (including characters, timelines, designs, etc), keep what works and develop completely new slate, but this time well thought-out cause laziness riding on nostalgia is not working anymore. I admire MCU for not being afraid to background characters that they don't need to tell the story at hand until they need them if they need them. That way we don't get Canto Bight and such filler that everyone complains about. 

I know personally speaking that RJ trying to do something new with TLJ was never even close to the issue for me. SW needs a future, it needs vision beyond nostalgia. I just didn't think the choices he made were effective at all and managed to make me not care anymore about the interesting new characters from TFA. The way he treated some of the existing lore and characters were just additional put offs.

My point being, I don't think SW should be all nostalgia driven and that's not what I want. If I did, it would have made sense for me to be the biggest supporter of Solo, and lol...

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

"Some commenters here are eager to declare Solo an all-out failure in the Justice League sense of the word, but it’s still too premature. The film could see a spike in younger audiences today and tomorrow."

@terrestrial Here’s another one:

While moviegoers are slow to arrive to Solo perhaps due to skepticism, hopefully those leaving the auditorium will preach the good word, and PostTrak shows a healthy 73% definite recommend.

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Made it

It was moved to the sub forum. Nobody checks that part of the forum. Move it back, guys. It was an interesting club and i bet the discussion would bbe interesting

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Not sure why everyone's freaking out when it's already Alden's highest grossing movie!

Imagine if Ansolo had ended up in this (since he was apparently one of the top contenders for the role until they decided to go with Alden). BOT would be in ashes right now.

I'd like to make a motion to move me and That One Guy's clubs back to the main forum. More interesting discussion than older Solo/Deadpool/IW clubs. Do I have a second?

(I spend too much time on the dais at work)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'd like to make a motion to move me and That One Guy's clubs back to the main forum. More interesting discussion than older Solo/Deadpool/IW clubs. Do I have a second?

Clubs involving films more than 6 months out don't go on the main forum. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

yes. move back the club. it's time to look to the future. tired of the solo clubs. it's done

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Pretty much exactly a DC situation, audiences are rejecting some of what they put out and they need to course correct

Kind of, but it's not nearly that dire. They need to just get past SOLO (audiences were questioning the necessity of this movie from the beginning + production drama) and avoid Rian Johnson like the plague (audiences for the most part hated his take, even if the movie was good and well made).

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I know personally speaking that RJ trying to do something new with TLJ was never even close to the issue for me. SW needs a future, it needs vision beyond nostalgia. I just didn't think the choices he made were effective at all and managed to make me not care anymore about the interesting new characters from TFA. The way he treated some of the existing lore and characters were just additional put offs.

My point being, I don't think SW should be all nostalgia driven and that's not what I want. If I did, it would have made sense for me to be the biggest supporter of Solo, and lol...

You are right, it shouldn't be nostalgia driven especially not this late into the game. First movie, fine, understandable. After that, lazy. I wished he tried something new but he didn't. He just flipped old shit on its head and that's not new. Like moving ROTJ Throne Room into the second movie, or Hoth battle from Act 1 to Act 3, or that Rey and Luke never got along and he barely trained her, etc. It's old shit with a twist but old nonetheless. It's still retreading the beaten path. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Fantastic Beasts is the main sticking point and that comes out in November!

To his credit @That One Guy's club already got four pages of discussion in two hours or so. That deserves to be in main forum. Clubs like that should be, when they mix very soon coming and far out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

Make Luke not dead in part 9

Make him fight Kylo and destroy him.

I could fucking fix Star Wars.  It's not that hard.  Look at what JJ did with TFA.  Record opening and north of a 3.5X.  

Figure it out Kathleen.

I don't think it's easy at all after everything TLJ did. You can't literally just ignore those choices, or the whole trilogy becomes kind of a joke. A trilogy needs to tell a cohesive interconnecting story to stick the landing. Not retcon everything the second movie did, leaving no real build up. I also don't think a Luke vs Kylo central plot of IX would even be that interesting, considering there has been no real build up for it. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

But it would ignite plenty of discussion and that's what we want. plus it involves movies with releases sooner than 6 months

On an aside, I love that there's a small contingent here now that smells blood and thinks Solo means doom and gloom for all of Disney now. Nope, Disney will be bigger than ever with virtually every single other release this year. It's just Star Wars. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

On an aside, I love that there's a small contingent here now that smells blood and thinks Solo means doom and gloom for all of Disney now. Nope, Disney will be bigger than ever with virtually every single other release this year. It's just Star Wars. 

And A Wrinkle in Time but yes, Disney is doing great overall.