CJohn

BOX OFFICE THEORY WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM WEEKEND THREAD | 150 OW OFFICIAL ESTIMATE | No Spoilers, Read Rules First Post! | First Post Updated with Sale Info

It really is interesting how long its been since a true animated admissions giant. Dory and TS3 are the closest we have in the last 14 years, yet both aren't even on par with Beauty and the Beast's admissions, which has certainly never been called some admissions monster. All we've had are 2-3 big animated hits, no real phenomenons at the box office. So I can see why people think 180 or 600 is something so absurd for animation. We haven't been able to see the natural progression with inflation like we have with live action. 

• Like 2

Down 55-56% is a good hold for I2 after that absurd ow. Even O8 fell 54% in 2nd weekend and now posted a 38-39% drop....despite JW2. Next weekend is light on competition and I2 could well have a low-40% drop. 46-47 3rd weekend imo.

Edited by a2k

DP2 gunning after IM1's 318.412 dom. 14.262 away after a 5.250 weekend. So needs to add 2.72x the 6th weekend to it's cume which is a very feasible goal imo.

Date
(click to view chart)
Rank Weekend
Gross
%
Change
Theaters Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week
#
May 18–20 1 $125,507,153 - 4,349 - $28,859 $125,507,153 1
May 25–27 2 $43,463,043 -65.4% 4,349 - $9,994 $208,170,395 2
May 25–28 2 $53,830,329 -57.1% 4,349 - $12,378 $218,537,681 2
Jun 1–3 2 $23,178,597 -46.7% 4,161 -188 $5,570 $254,506,035 3
Jun 8–10 3 $14,148,517 -39.0% 3,823 -338 $3,701 $279,164,058 4
Jun 15–17 5 $8,681,501 -38.6% 3,212 -611 $2,703 $294,562,309 5
Jun 22–24 5 $5,250,000
(Estimate)
-39.5% 2,420 -792 $2,169 $304,150,321
(Estimate)

Wow I just watched rampage. It’s of the best movies of the past 5 years. Truly a fun and epic journey into the world of epigenetics and big monsters. The movie had many hidden messages and so much substance.  I’m glad that it’s a box office smash!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GraceRandolph said:

Wow I just watched rampage. It’s of the best movies of the past 5 years. Truly a fun and epic journey into the world of epigenetics and big monsters. The movie had many hidden messages and so much substance.  I’m glad that it’s a box office smash!   

LoL this has to be a joke, right?

2 hours ago, excel1 said:

What do we make of Jurassic World 3's opening weekend prospects.

Part of me wonders if totally destroying the island was a massive mistake.

I think it's def gonna do more than FK.

They'll prob have a better release schedule, a better hook (I won't go to spoilers but they can create some really good ones) and given how much Sam Neil and Laura Dern have been talking about Jurassic lately, I'm pretty sure they're coming back for the next movie (Universal will prob promote JW3 as the last JP/JW movie).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Rampage is trash.

53 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

This is the biggest weekend in June ever, yes, but also we just had an unprecedented back-to-back opener combo. $182.7M and $150M openers back-to-back, with the holdover film still making another $81M in its second weekend. These kinds of concentrated mega box office numbers, heading into early July holidays too, may not happen again for many, many years.

Both Incredibles 2 and Fallen Kingdom could be accumulating some really nice dough heading into next weekend, the weekend after it, and the weekdays between the two. Canadians get the Monday after next weekend off for Canada Day (July 1st, Canada's birthday, falls on the Sunday). And Americans get July 4th off which falls on a Wednesday this year - which means Americans will likely have vacation days scattered throughout the week, with some either using holidays to extend next weekend into the Wednesday July 4th, and others taking holidays from the Wednesday into the weekend after. 

The last time July 4th fell on the Wednesday was in 2012, and before that in 2007.  In 2007, Transformers opened to big numbers on Tuesday, July 3rd (with $8.8M in Monday previews beforehand), and in 2012 The Amazing Spider-Man also opened to big numbers on Tuesday, July 3rd.

This year, no film is opening during the week before the July 4th holiday and taking advantage of those weekdays, like Transformers and The Amazing Spider-Man did. Ant-Man and the Wasp opens on the Friday (July 6th), and nothing of note opens next weekend. Incredibles 2 and Fallen Kingdom have a fairly clear path for the two of them to dominate the box office until Ant-Man joins them.

Peace,

Mike

Makes me real curious about what kind of movie Disney and Pixar are planning for June 2021.

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Rampage is trash.

I didnt have a chance to see it in theaters, does it atleast have some fun monster action and (hilariously) bad dialogue or is it just bland?

Edited by Brainbug

42 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Record breaking openings with great WOM only help multis, not hurt them. And no, I2's OW once again isn't so unprecedented in admissions. We just haven't had an animated admissions monster in a long time so people haven't been able to see the natural progression of what it looks like with inflation. 

Incredibles 2 has made $350,374,690 in its first 10 days.

If it does the same ratio of 10 Day to final total as Finding Dory, it will end with $594.9m. Do you really think it will leg it to $600m after it's dropped harder than Finding Dory did on its second weekend?

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Rampage is saved from being completely terrible by the final battle. Everything before that is dullllllllll

So it's an ugly Godzilla?