Asyulus

INCREDIBLES 2 Weekend |🏆| ACTUALS: 182.7M OW | O8 19M, Tag 14.9M, Solo 10M, DP2 8.7M, IW 5.4M

The takeaway from this weekend should be that the correlation between how well liked and financially well performing an animated movie from over a dozen years ago was and how fincancially well performing its sequel/remake will be is pretty imperfect. Lion King unquestionably was absolutely massive and well liked. That gives it a lot of potential to do great numbers (anything 170+ is still great for a PG film, to be clear) but it hardly locks these way over 200 estimates that I see people throwing around.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Eh. Both TJB & BATB are the only Disney live action remakes in the Fresh-territory. I think TLK will follow suit with these two. Probably closer to TJB-quality.

Cinderella??

Just now, Yandereprime101189 said:

When the trailer for Lion King drops in the next few months, it will be EVERYWHERE and break trailer records. People's heads will spin.

It's going to do IW trailer #s

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Yea an animated movie could never open as huge as live action movies :sparta:

there is a major difference between the standard Pixar designs of The Incredibles and the photorealistic designs TLK will have. I remember there being backlash to TJB's designs until people saw Mowgli interact with them; this won't have that as a selling point

I still think Lion King will do well! I just think it'll do about 150M/500M right now. Footage could change my mind but for now, this is where I'm staying

• Like 1

Just now, Blankments said:

I still think Lion King will do well! I just think it'll do about 150M/500M right now. Footage could change my mind but for now, this is where I'm staying

Also, a couple weeks ago I was predicting 145M/450M, so y'all Loony Kings better calm tf down

2 minutes ago, Blankments said:

I understand exactly how all-encompassing it is, but I think everyone here is also conflating TJB and B+TB's success, films with major live-action elements, to a film that will have absolutely none of that even though it will be marketed as such. I think a major portion of possible audiences will be off-put by this

The difference though is that TLK swill end up looking like a VFX wonder.  That’s a major BO driving point, as groundbreaking effects often get butts in seats.

Theres a reason the #1 DOM (and WW at that) movie of all time has almost always been a technical vfx marvel for its time, with an extra it factor to go with it.

If TLK absolutely nails the visuals, taking what was done with TJB and perfecting it, it’d be gorgeous and absolutely standout from the animated version.

All of that is a big IF though.

TLK is a wildcard, not in the sense we don’t know if it’ll be big or not.  But that we know it’ll be huge, but the question is how huge.  There’s BATB big, then there’s TI2/BP/IW phenomenon big, then there’s pushing for #1 all time big.  I could reasonably see TLK land anywhere in that range.  

Id be shocked if it didn’t at minimum match BATB though, I’m sure Disney’s expectations are set for at least that level of huge given the prep going into this movie.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Man I can't wait to see the epic meltdowns next summer when TLK "only" opens to like 170-175. Most overpredicted film of all time, mark it down. 

Yeah I'd at least like to get some kind of promo. We have absolutely zero to go on right now other the name, yet yall are saying $800-900m total and shit. This forum boy. Can we at least see how realistic Rafiki's butt looks first before we call this the Thanos of all blockbusters, like you said.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

BATB looked way more attractive to the female crowd than TLK though.

Which favors TLK even more since it is geared to all audiences and not just a specific gender. 

• ...wtf 1

Just now, Yandereprime101189 said:

Three times the numbers. 

600 million trailer views boys, you heard it here first :hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:   

Alright, it is officially clear that nothing you say about this movie can be taken seriously.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm not convinced The Lion King is beating Avatar. I have it doing over 600M, but 700M is a bridge too far.

Yep, sorry, but no matter how well-liked and nostalgic people are for The Lion King, it's still no Star Wars.

Just now, Nova said:

Wasn’t there footage of TLK shown at Cinemacon and it was apparently amazing? 

EC has said the footage was incredible. I do wonder when Disney will drop it, It'd be very tempting to drop it with Christopher Robin but I think it's more likely to be attached to Mary Poppins

10 minutes ago, Nova said:

I’m actually a bit disappointed in Deadpool 2’s domestic hold. I was hoping it could do $9M+ this weekend. 

I’m still very surprised that Deadpool 2 is dropping from the original.

1 minute ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

All the trailer has to do is use Circle of Life throughout it and at the very end tease Hakuna Matata. People will go wild.

I know Beyoncé is in the film.

But they should get Jennifer Hudson to sing Circle of Life in this one. Search it on YouTube 😱😱