Asyulus

INCREDIBLES 2 Weekend |🏆| ACTUALS: 182.7M OW | O8 19M, Tag 14.9M, Solo 10M, DP2 8.7M, IW 5.4M

I'm the first person to call racism on here (until water came back, I guess) but I'm gonna be honest, the great diversity of cast and crew for AWIT HELPED that movie. I know fellow progressives that were like "it looks bad...and reviews are bad...but I should see it to support." Certainly the only reason I considered seeing it, given how bad the trailers were. I would say that it got more of a boost from people who wanted to support its good intentions than any money it lost from people who would have seen it otherwise. The all-white AWIT with the same reviews/trailers probably only gets to 80.

Now obviously there was an online backlash and hateful rage from the troll squad against AWIT for the obvious reasons. But I don't think it hurt box office.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 14

4 minutes ago, water said:

young kids don't often go to movies by themselves. adults in their lives take them, or don't take them. i give up on this discussion though. if you guys think that no one skipped the movie because they were racist i can't change your minds apparently. we're just on different wavelengths because what you guys are claiming is inconceivable to me, sorry. anyway, my original point was just that yes disney had to fudge it from 95m to 100m, but that small amount could also have been made up for in other ways besides the movie being better quality. bye

The movie would have grossed 130m easily if more black people had shown up for it!!  Guess they didn’t want to watch it cause of the half white lead actress!!!! 

8 minutes ago, water said:

except for the MILLIONTH time i am not using it to explain the poor performance. that's down to the quality of the movie. i'm saying it would have made a BIT more. jesus

You said 120-130M, thats not a 'bit' more. $5M..maybe, so the fudge may not have been needed, but its still a flop and $5M wouldnt have changed that.

Apart from anything else its not racism if a movie is miscast.

Edited by GirafficPark

One thing to keep in mind and it was mentioned with last week JW:FK numbers is that the exchange rates are not as favorable today as they were in 2015. Coupled with the natural sequel to a huge film effect and the World Cup, the down play isn't exactly a surprise. I personally think 700m OS is more likely for a total between 1.05-1.1b depending on if Domestic can manage 400m or not.

Either way, it will have a drop similar in size as TLJ did from TFA.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm the first person to call racism on here (until water came back, I guess) but I'm gonna be honest, the great diversity of cast and crew for AWIT HELPED that movie. I know fellow progressives that were like "it looks bad...and reviews are bad...but I should see it to support." Certainly the only reason I considered seeing it, given how bad the trailers were. I would say that it got more of a boost from people who wanted to support its good intentions than any money it lost from people who would have seen it otherwise. The all-white AWIT with the same reviews/trailers probably only gets to 80.

Now obviously there was an online backlash and hateful rage from the troll squad against AWIT for the obvious reasons. But I don't think it hurt box office.

Yeah, the movie definitely didn’t bomb because of a diverse cast lol.  That’s nonsense, and if anything it helped it do slightly better than Tomorrowland.

The movie simply didn’t look good imo, Ava was the only reason I was interested in potentially giving it a shot.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, water said:

you guys realize awit would have done a respectable 120-130m if racism didn't exist right? it was sabotaged before it even came out, you can see that from the disproportionate dislikes on all its youtube videos

No, your original statement was that it would have had a respectable BO if it wasn't for racism and in fact there was an active sabotage campaign against the movie that would have prevented it from being a hit even if it was the greatest movie in the world.

Edited by L Silverman

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

One thing to keep in mind and it was mentioned with last week JW:FK numbers is that the exchange rates are not as favorable today as they were in 2015. Coupled with the natural sequel to a huge film effect and the World Cup, the down play isn't exactly a surprise. I personally think 700m OS is more likely for a total between 1.05-1.1b depending on if Domestic can manage 400m or not.

Either way, it will have a drop similar in size as TLJ did from TFA.

As I've been saying! All mega-breakouts see their sequels drop around that amount. Wonder if people will find a way to blame Rian Johnson for this one, too.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

As I've been saying. All mega-breakouts see their sequels drop. Wonder if people will find a way to blame Rian Johnson for this one, too.

Yes, but as you no doubt see over and over - very few people listen because they expect all big films to play like Catching Fire did to the Hunger Games (domestically speaking of course.)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Lol at this excuse. “Racism”  does not prevent a movie from being a huge smash (case in point - Black Panther that has the 3rd highest DOM gross of all time.) AWIT BOMBED because it was a terrible movie directed by someone with no talent. It literally looks like a TV movie - why would anyone pay to see that? 

@water truly is the most insufferable poster here when I find myself liking GraceRandolph, the 3rd most insufferable poster's posts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

@water truly is the most insufferable poster here when I find myself liking GraceRandolph, the 3rd most insufferable poster's posts.

Grace is a top 3 greatest poster of all time and a mega youtube QT

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Futurist said:

The Feast or famine nature of modern box office is getting out of hand.

Crazy.

Already had a bit OW matter so much installed, but now I would be curious to know the percentage of studio wide release that are basically already success just by presales without anyone having seen the movie (and vice versa).

In 2017 the top 10 movies made 3.8b of the 11,071.9b of the box office, while the movies ranked 90-100 made 258m.

It did got more top heavy.

Top 10: around 35% of the year box office.

Movie 11-20: 17% of the year box office.

Top 20: 52%

Movie 90-100: 2.25%

Top 10: 28.5% of the year box office (2.13b)

Movie 11-20: 16% (1.19b)

Top 20: 44%

90-100: 2.4% (178m)

An other way to see it, the #128 biggest movie at the domestic box office in 1999 was Brokedown Palace with 10.115m in 2017 it was Thank you for your service with 9.53m. Movie make half of what they were doing 20 year's ago in that range (to take into consideration for people that think there is a bigger output of movie now creating more competition than before, the number of relevant has competition movies probably went down, not up)

The box office grew by nearly 50% between 1999 and 2017 (by 1% adjusted for inflation), but 100% of it was in the top, the rest is even smaller unadjusted.

• Like 4

In other weekend news, Adrift sputtered out.  Probably get a little above $30m for its domestic run.  Hotel Artemis dropped off the map and Hereditary, wow, Hereditary held up amazingly well.  A 48% drop for a horror movie, especially one with a D+ CinemaScore, is pretty darn awesome.

• Like 1