baumer

Sicario: Day of the Soldado (2018)

Grade it  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Awesome movie until it ended if you liked the 1st you will be sure to like this one... however..

the ending is a non-ending, I was expecting a final act then it just abruptly ended on a cliff-hanger

I want to see Sicario 3 but damn that was a slap in the face.

• Like 2

doesn't have the same creeping dread of villeneuve's film but i like the matter of fact visceralness of it all. plot wise it's a little more standard sheridan's screenplay is honestly the weak link but i was really wowed by a lot of the direction here and the construction of all the major sequences from that standpoint.

and yeah WEIRD final scene. 

So the kid shoots Del Toro in the head, abandons the group realizing this wasn't the life for him, but then a year later is all tatted up and looks to be running things.  Didn't really like the kid so I'm hoping they recast him for #3. 

Btw, wasn't he just in middle school? 

Direction/production was nice to really nice by moment, but what was that ? Felt like something went wrong and the ending got lost in the process.

A bit like the actual start of a war part did cost too much and changed it for something else.

I imagine part of those movies is too expose a bit of the uselessness of trying to win that fight (that why nothing change, if you think change is a goal, etc....) so you do not want to show any progress about anything or much relevance (like all the premise taken down with most of the bomber being from the US anyway), but that make it really hard to have a satisfying ending for a sequel even less so in term of trying to setup a sequel in the sequel.

Missed opportunity imo, but I am not sure the director didn't do is job here, not sure Villeneuve/Deakins pull out a much better movie if they decide to do it like that.

• Like 1

Thought this was a great movie right up until Isabella runs off during road ambush. After that it just turned into a different movie.  And I guess I thought it was going to be more like the trailers.  I'm not saying it's a bad movie because it's not, most of it is good.  But it was so much better when they were telling the story of trying to get the cartels to fight each other.  

And I had a really hard time accepting Alejandro surviving a gunshot wound to the face in the middle of the Mexican desert, and that ending, wow, that really didn't end well at all.  

7/10

• Like 2

I'm kinda with Coolio on this one. It's definitely a big drop-off from the near-masterpiece that was the first Sicario, as it's a much more "standard" movie (and loses pretty much all of the thought-provoking material because of it), but this is still very well-made and a cut above what we usually get from this genre. Benecio del Toro and Josh Brolin continue to kill it. The sequel-baiting final scene made me roll my eyes though: I didn't care at all for Miguel, so the prospect of Sicario 3: How to Train Your Sicario isn't particularly exciting. B-

On 6/30/2018 at 10:18 AM, baumer said:

And I had a really hard time accepting Alejandro surviving a gunshot wound to the face in the middle of the Mexican desert

According to study being shot in the face (zone 1-2):

bad%20shot%20places.jpeg?itok=ChS5xg6u

Is indeed dangerous and does lead to that high of a lethal rate for an incident but not extreme either, with zone 2 being probably the best chance of surviving:

The mortality rates were significantly different by injuries to Zones I, II, and III, at 5.3%, 1.8%, and 26.2%,

https://www.popsci.com/article/science/science-confirms-obvious-being-shot-face-bad#page-2

The absence of recourse for a good time not helping obviously but still the movie sold it well. Alejandro was moving a lot, shot by a first time shooter (I though he would miss), in the face and only one bullet, the in/out place he got shot and being at the best survival rate possible for a shot in the face incident was well shown to the audience.

I thought the whole point of the sign language thing was gonna be because he had his tongue shot out!

Also this is a bad right-wing fantasy that says all brown people are scary. Not a quarter as well directed or constructed or acted as the first, either. Just bad. Might be my least favorite of 2018 so far idk.

Enjoyable, but not as sharp and tense as the first. 

I'm a little surprised this movie got made the way it did, there are elements of it that I wouldn't have thought hollywood would put out, especially in today's atmosphere.

2 minutes ago, MattW said:

I'm a little surprised this movie got made the way it did, there are elements of it that I wouldn't have thought hollywood would put out, especially in today's atmosphere.

It start on a shocking scene that I imagine would not have been made by a studio,

It was a 100% independent financed production with 0 control from studios (nor Liongates) from what I understand.

• Like 1

This movie deserves nothing but Fs. Fuck it. Fuck the writer. Fuck the director. Fuck Thanos/Cable. 

Good thing the magnificent Emily Blunt stayed away from this piece of trash otherwise I’d be saying Fuck Mary Poppins too. 

Overall Grade: an F 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2018 at 3:33 AM, Barnack said:

According to study being shot in the face (zone 1-2):

bad%20shot%20places.jpeg?itok=ChS5xg6u

Is indeed dangerous and does lead to that high of a lethal rate for an incident but not extreme either, with zone 2 being probably the best chance of surviving:

The mortality rates were significantly different by injuries to Zones I, II, and III, at 5.3%, 1.8%, and 26.2%,

https://www.popsci.com/article/science/science-confirms-obvious-being-shot-face-bad#page-2

The absence of recourse for a good time not helping obviously but still the movie sold it well. Alejandro was moving a lot, shot by a first time shooter (I though he would miss), in the face and only one bullet, the in/out place he got shot and being at the best survival rate possible for a shot in the face incident was well shown to the audience.

You have to remember that he was shot through the side through the cheek. In that example you gave that includes shots from the back or front which could sever the cervical spine.