sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - JW: $60.91M - I2: 46.42M - Sicario: $19.00M - Uncle Drew: $15.24M

Lots of very soft drops on Sunday. The Canadian holiday definitely had an effect on Sunday business. Plus the heat wave in the northern part of the US and southeastern part of Canada probably helped out as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

They don't any huge blockbusters coming along.  They might have to Spectre or Passengers it.

Same "cheating," different method. BTW, I honestly don't mind studios doing that, it's not a big deal to me. It's more funny than anything.

2 hours ago, Wrath said:

Also, Laura Dern is hot right now as, arguably, the only widely-agreed upon good part of Last Jedi.

You have been nicely shielded from the purple lady complain.....

I think Last Jedi have a nice list of widely-agreed upon good part, score, cinematography, movie didn't get it vast critical acclaim out of no solid consensus base.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Still feeling 600 can happen for I2. Better third weekend hold than IO, and IO's third weekend multi gets 612. 

I don't think so, but I am happy that top 10 domestic unadjusted is pretty much locked. 

Also, my club was a success anyone. I'm now 2 for 3 this year so far, let's see if Christopher Robin can put me 3 for 4 :ph34r:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Lots of very soft drops on Sunday. The Canadian holiday definitely had an effect on Sunday business. Plus the heat wave in the northern part of the US and southeastern part of Canada probably helped out as well.

The cold AC room can became a big ticket sellers I would imagine yes, maybe less today than in the past but still one.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, baumer said:

You guys are the opposite of Europe. The heat absolutely murders movies here. JW2 and O8 dropped 10-15% here this weekend because last weekend there was a massive heatwave in the country while this weekend there was a mix of lower temperatures and a bit of rain here and there.

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

You have been nicely shielded from the purple lady complain.....

Huh, somehow I missed Dern being one of the many things people complained about.

Also, that reminds me, apropos of nothing, that we’re in a golden age of middle aged actresses who absolutely kill it. Christine Baranski, Laura Dern, Allison Janney to name a few.

30 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Hard to see how it doesn't happen. It's gonna easily reach 99 on its own from here. 

yeah, had a 0.6m weekend so should add that same amount over the next 7 days. that takes it to 99 by next Sunday. then rest of the run gives it at least 99.5 without any (further) help. can't see them leaving it there.

RBG is having an outstanding run for a documentary as it is now the 25th highest grossing documentary of all time. For comparison, Iron Man 3 and its $408M+ gross is the 25th biggest grosser on the all time unadjusted list for all films.

RBG might be able to climb another spot or two on the list as the Michael Moore films, the Disney nature films, docs for a few musical acts and a few rag tag others are the only films above RBG. 

Won’t You Be My Neighbor? should catch up to RBG in a week or two so it’s been a healthy year for documentaries so far.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Still feeling 600 can happen for I2. Better third weekend hold than IO, and IO's third weekend multi gets 612. 

io's overall multiplier was itself an epic 3.96x. so even off the 3rd weekend would not be a fair comp. it showed those legs throught the run more or less.

3 minutes ago, a2k said:

io's overall multiplier was itself an epic 3.96x. so even off the 3rd weekend would not be a fair comp. it showed those legs throught the run more or less.

It got that multi because of an insane second weekend drop. If it had dropped like I2 in weekend 2, its multi would have been more like 3.4x. But I2 had a better drop than IO's third weekend. Who's to say I2 won't play more like IO now that the second weekend is behind us? 

14 minutes ago, CJohn said:

You guys are the opposite of Europe. The heat absolutely murders movies here. JW2 and O8 dropped 10-15% here this weekend because last weekend there was a massive heatwave in the country while this weekend there was a mix of lower temperatures and a bit of rain here and there.

Buddy we have winter six months out of the Year here. Temperature goes up over 100 degrees Canadians literally start to melt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

Buddy we have winter six months out of the Year here. Temperature goes up over 100 degrees Canadians literally start to melt.

I was in Toronto at the end of last April (2017) and I was expecting it to be like 65 degrees F and yet when I got there it was a low of 30 degrees and a high of 41F 😭 

• Like 1

Interesting to note that only the MCU managed to have giant succeses with team up movies, basicaly the Three Avengers and Avengers 2,5 : Civil War.

All the other biggest superhero movies in history hve been solo adventures : Spiderman Trilogy OG, The Dark Knights, the first Superman, Black Panther, Iron Man 3, Batman'89.

Edited by The Futurist

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Interesting to note that only the MCU managed to have giant succeses with team up movies, basicaly the Three Avengers and Avengers 2,5 : Civil War.

Al the other biggest superhero movies in history hve been solo adventures : Spiderman Trilogy OG, The Dark Knights, the first Superman, Black Panther, Iron Man 3, Batman'89.

But I thought Civil War was a Captain America movie not a team up movie 🤔

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Interesting to note that only the MCU managed to have giant succeses with team up movies,

Well Lord of the rings would be a giant success, the 3 movie did over 6 billion from theater and home entertainment alone I think.

Big not giant type of success but still really big Ocean 11, Fast five, Great Escape, Dirty Dozen, Italian Job, Magnificant 7 to really big like the first 2 Ghostbuster (and I imagine long list I cannot think of), Armageddon, Inception teaming up is such a common movie trope.

• Like 1