YM!

Weekend Thread | Hotel 3 $44.1 Skyscraper 25.4, Ant Man’s size does matter with $28.8M

Weird that they’re calling that a 61% drop. It’s 61.63, which pretty clearly rounds up.         

This simple linear regression of 2nd weekend drops to final multi for summer SH movies would map that to a 2.71 for a 205 total, which looks about right to me.     

• Like 2

FWIW that same 2nd weekend regression predicts 667 for IW (off by less than .05x), 301 for DP2 (off by roughly .15x, DP2’s 2nd weekend was really hammered by Solo), and 579 for I2 (should be within .1x or so), so it’s been doing very well and even slightly underestimating on SH movies not in the training set.      

Also I’d consider that pretty conclusive that I2 played like a superhero movie.

Edited by Thanos Legion

21 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Still waiting for an answer to this... :sparta:

I think Resident Evil The Final Chapter might be the case.  40 million budget + whatever they spent with marketing / promotion.

Only made 26 million domestic and 285 million overseas ( but most of that comes from China alone, with 159 million ). It seems Sony didn't get anything from China's numbers. I'm pretty sure someone mentioned that, so don't quote me on that.

312 million worldwide on a 40 million budget ( if the number is real ). That would be almost 8 times its budget and the movie still disappointed or flopped. 

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Dammit, Purge and JW going up and Skyscraper going down with actuals does not help my Survivor

On the contrary, JW and AMATW going up is helping mine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

312 million worldwide on a 40 million budget ( if the number is real ). That would be almost 8 times its budget and the movie still disappointed or flopped

No it certainly didn't, what the hell. RE: Final Chapter has to be the most underrated box office run by some here.

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Dammit, Purge and JW going up and Skyscraper going down with actuals does not help my Survivor

I am glad I am not the only one looking specifically for that! Sfran43 is getting all the Sad Doctor reactions. 

• Like 1

Uni had estimated a 30% Sun drop so not surprised JW2 went up. But it went up even higher than anticipated because Sat bumped +43% vs +41% estimates, and Friday came in higher at 4.64 vs 4.43 estimates.

FSS

2018/07/13   $4,640,445   +62%   3,695    $1,256   $352,422,660    22
2018/07/14 - $6,642,960 +43% 3,695 $1,798   $359,065,620 23
2018/07/15 - $4,916,025 -26% 3,695 $1,330   $363,981,645 24

16.199,430 weekend

363,981,645 cume

Needs to add 3.0x the weekend or 48.6 to it's cume to beat Wonder Woman and become the biggest non-Disney film since JW1. JW1 had added 3.28x the 4th weekend to it's cume.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Still waiting for an answer to this... :sparta:

When the press didn't care about international BO you had some weird things like, Rambo 3 tripling it's budget but being considered a flop. When they didn't care about post theatrical (say like for Cleopatra) you also had strange things.

The biggest ever I could think of would be Warcraft, because of is ultra high China percentage being considered by many a flop with a 2.7x ratio.

3.7x would be really pushing it, obviously you can find BvS was a flop crowd (and now X-Men: Apocalypse being called one ?!, a movie that did 150% of is direct predecessor First class while costing about the same), even for the mainstream Internet.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1