YM!

Weekend Thread | Hotel 3 $44.1 Skyscraper 25.4, Ant Man’s size does matter with $28.8M

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Deadline doing a Skyscraper breakdown (sorry if this was posted already)

https://deadline.com/2018/07/dwayne-johnson-skyscraper-ant-man-and-the-wasp-hotel-transylvania-3-weekend-box-office-1202426089/

Some points

Holy crap...Without The Rock, this movie would probably have made less than half of its opening weekend.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Yeah, but I'll bet it was the hilariously misleading trailer I got before Incredibles 2 that tried to pass it off as some cutesy movie about a boy and his pet wolf. 

it made it look so bad

1 hour ago, Pandamia! said:

At least I know I’ve already made more profit in my life than Solo

If you count up all the change that's fallen out of pockets, I bet my couch has made more profit than Solo already, an its not even done stealing my quarters yet.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wrath said:

If you count up all the change that's fallen out of pockets, I bet my couch has made more profit than Solo already, an its not even done stealing my quarters yet.

To be fair, even Trump’s bankrupt businesses have had more success

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Deadline doing a Skyscraper breakdown (sorry if this was posted already)

https://deadline.com/2018/07/dwayne-johnson-skyscraper-ant-man-and-the-wasp-hotel-transylvania-3-weekend-box-office-1202426089/

Some points

So if it is not a China co-production why did they heavily attach so many Asian actors to it and an Asian locale?  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

• Like 2

new Mamma Mia - 30.0 - 33.50

new Equalizer 2 - 28.1 - 30.50

-50% Hotel Transylvania - 22.5 - 89.0

-40% Ant-Man 2 - 17.5 - 166.0

-49% Skyscraper - 13.0 - 50.0

-35% Incredibles 2 - 10.5 - 556.9

-41% Jurassic World - 9.5 - 381.6

new Unfriended 2 - 6.7 - 7.5

-50% The Purge 4 - 4.5 - 59.3

-20% Sorry to Bother - 3.4 - 10.7

-58% Sicario 2 - 1.6 - 46.9

-20% Neighbor - 1.5 - 18.4

-60% Uncle Drew - 1.3 - 40.0

-55% Ocean's 8 - 1.3 - 135.3

-59% Tag - 0.55 - 52.70

-50% Deadpool 2 - 0.40 - 317.15

-39% Infinity War - 0.36 - 676.71

-38% Hereditary - 0.28 - 43.58

-34% Solo - 0.27 - 212.40

-36% Book Club - 0.18 - 67.13

-45% Superfly - 0.11 - 20.56

-47% Adrift - 0.09 - 31.34

On 7/14/2018 at 12:53 PM, Barnack said:

Because it already made over 200m with all of those (many major) to open, first ant man bo in those marker:

Belgium (1.24m) 18 July 2018  
France (13.3) 18 July 2018  
Netherlands (1.85m) 18 July 2018  
Germany (5.9m) 26 July 2018  
Hungary 26 July 2018  
UK (25.2) 3 August 2018  
Ireland 3 August 2018  
Poland (1.3) 3 August 2018  
Italy (5.29) 14 August 2018  
Portugal (0.8) 15 August 2018  
Japan (9.67) 31 August 2018

And China (105m) still floating, but that 170m of market for the previous entry yet to open with and other 120m in legs there. It could get close to 600m with a 162m budget, how making more than making 3.5 time a big budget not a big success, let alone starting to call word like flop.....

So can we call an MCU movie that grosses around $190m a DOM flop? Seems like every respondent has pushed it up to "hit" status by pointing to foreign gross being about double the DOM gross. 

5 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

So can we call an MCU movie that grosses around $190m a DOM flop? Seems like every respondent has pushed it up to "hit" status by pointing to foreign gross being about double the DOM gross. 

...but it's not going to miss 200M. Spider-Man: Homecoming legs get it to close to 217M and it dropped on par in its 2nd weekend. It likely won't get that kind of staying power due to more competition but even First Avenger legs get it over 200M. Fuckin' War For The Planet Of The Apes legs get it a little under that mark, but this is a family movie while that was, well, not. Again, it's a disappointment. A big one. But I wouldn't call a film that will make over 200M DOM alone on a 162M budget a "DOM flop", especially if that represents at least an 11% bump over the original's DOM total. The only other sequel to even bump 1% over the original or its predecessor this year was Infinity War ffs.

I don't know if this is gonna get me called a Marvel loonie or not (I'd like to think that I'm a mere Marvel fan, and not an uncontrollable fanboy), but while there is zero argument that AMATW is a financial disappointment, it is by no means a fucking flop. Flop means failure, people, and do you unironically think this is doing flat out failure numbers? Cause you need a reality check if you do.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I don't know if this is gonna get me called a Marvel loonie or not (I'd like to think that I'm a mere Marvel fan, and not an uncontrollable fanboy), but while there is zero argument that AMATW is a financial disappointment, it is by no means a fucking flop. Flop means failure, people, and do you unironically think this is doing flat out failure numbers? Cause you need a reality check if you do.

So we're down to arguing semantics over "disappointment" vs "flop"? OK. I can live with disappointment if that makes you feel better.

Though to be clear, when i say AM2 is a 'flop' I'm using that term broadly to reflect not just money - it's clearly not going to be a financial flop in the sense that say Lone Ranger or John Carter were - but more culturally and contextually - this is a film that is coming off two MCU movies that did over $650m DOM in the past six months, and it hasn't hit $150m DOM yet after 10 days in release? Despite excellent reviews? And is already pretty much culturally gone?

IMO, it's fair to use the term 'flop' in this context, though if you want to reserve it for films that truly are financial disasters like a John Carter, I can respect that. But, just keep that in mind the next time a DCU film does $200m DOM/ $600m WW on a $200m budget as well. A lot of folks around here don't. 

Edited by SteveJaros

24 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

So we're down to arguing semantics over "disappointment" vs "flop"? OK. I can live with disappointment if that makes you feel better.

Though to be clear, when i say AM2 is a 'flop' I'm using that term broadly to reflect not just money - it's clearly not going to be a financial flop in the sense that say Lone Ranger or John Carter were - but more culturally and contextually - this is a film that is coming off two MCU movies that did over $650m DOM in the past six months, and it hasn't hit $150m DOM yet after 10 days in release? Despite excellent reviews? And is already pretty much culturally gone?

IMO, it's fair to use the term 'flop' in this context, though if you want to reserve it for films that truly are financial disasters like a John Carter, I can respect that. But, just keep that in mind the next time a DCU film does $200m DOM/ $600m WW on a $200m budget as well. A lot of folks around here don't. 

Again, you're describing a disappointment, not a flop. It's the MCU, but not every MCU movie has to gross 300M DOM. This is Goddamn Ant-Man 2, the character didn't even appear in Infinity War, it's his 1st sequel and the original opened to 57M and grossed 180 DOM. I imagine there were some lofty predictions for it, but those were usually wishful thinking more than anything. I'll give you that it is being more quickly forgotten by the masses than the other two MCU films this year, as it was apparently a disposable film (I haven't even seen it yet). And should it do better than it's doing? Yeah, it should at least be on par with Doctor Strange imo and it's gonna fall way short. But the term "flop" does not unironically apply to any movie that isn't a "flop". It just does not. Disappointment is not the same thing.

And clearly that last line proves you're still bitter about Justice League. May I remind you that JL made 200+ and 600+ on a 300M budget? 300. And it was reported to lose around 60M according to Deadline. A big movie like that should not be losing any money at all, and 60M isn't John Carter, but it's still substantial. AM2 will end with similar, probably inferior box office numbers but it has little more than half of its budget. Do you not see the damn difference?

Ugh, anyway.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2