YM!

Weekend Thread | Hotel 3 $44.1 Skyscraper 25.4, Ant Man’s size does matter with $28.8M

1 hour ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

It'll probably be in the top 10 for the year, it's already #9. It should get to #7 pretty easily. From there it's a matter of nothing else making more than that, MPR and FB are the only 2 movies I'd say are guaranteed to make more.

Wrecks the Internet also has a very good shot I would say, which leaves it in the very precarious position of needing 0 movies to surprise. I'd be pretty surprised if it ended in the top 10.

11 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

So what you’re saying is that Venom won’t come anywhere close to meeting the irrationally high predictions being floated here at BOT.

The animated Spidey Movie won't make anywhere near some of the predictions here either.

I think the big news has to be Sksycraper underperforming.  The Rock has got to be bit more selective about his projects.

In the end, I think it did look a bit too much like a "Die Hard" wannabe, and people just were not interested.

15 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

"the" lead character is careful wording but c'mon

I thought about Theron in Fury Road but that was a may release and would have it missed the summer blockbuster cut-off for some definition ?

Mojo count it as summer but they start extremely early for release that do not get summer days for a long time:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/seasonal/?view=releasedate&yr=2015&season=Summer

"Fury Road not a event", Dwayne Johnson.

Edited by Barnack

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

I thought about Theron in Fury Road but that was a may release and would have it missed the summer blockbuster cut-off for some definition ?

Mojo count it as summer but they start extremely early for release that do not get summer days for a long time:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/seasonal/?view=releasedate&yr=2015&season=Summer

Fury Road, "not a event", Dwayne Johnson.

The summer *movie* season has started in May for a couple of decades now.

1 hour ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

It'll probably be in the top 10 for the year, it's already #9. It should get to #7 pretty easily. From there it's a matter of nothing else making more than that, MPR and FB are the only 2 movies I'd say are guaranteed to make more.

If it’s still in the top 10 While being under 200m it’ll be a really frontloaded year.  

I reckon Mamma Mia 2, Fallout, Christopher Robin, Venom, First Man, Bohemian Rhapsody, Grinch, FB, Ralph 2, Spider Verse, MPR, Aquaman and Bumblebee all have a fair shot to go over Ant-Man 2 at this point (obviously not all of them will)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

If it’s still in the top 10 While being under 200m it’ll be a really frontloaded year.  

I reckon Mamma Mia 2, Fallout, Christopher Robin, Venom, First Man, Bohemian Rhapsody, Grinch, FB, Ralph 2, Spider Verse, MPR, Aquaman and Bumblebee all have a fair shot to go over Ant-Man 2 at this point (obviously not all of them will)

All of these to me have a fair shot minus Spider Verse. For some reason, I see that having zero chance whatsoever at $200M+ DOM.

I think Ralph 2 and Mary Poppins feel like locks to do $200M+ DOM.

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

FK probably gonna eek out the 400. Not by much though. 

Are folks expecting this to drop sharply when M:I opens? I'm trying to figure out why its holds will all of the sudden become worse rather than improve week to week. Don't holds week to week generally improve later in a films run, especially in July? It's coming off of $30M+ (333.4 to 363.9) this past Monday through Sunday. Gotta figure it'll have grossed $380M+ after this coming Sunday. I just don't see how it will have any issue crossing $400M+ DOM. I honestly think it has a pretty real chance at $410M+ DOM. Wouldn't shock me in the least if it passed Wonder Woman's DOM total.

Adrift for me has been the biggest casualty of the summer. Really great movie that sadly flopped. Hopefully more and more people catch it at some point because it really is good.

The Rock is such a phoney 😂. Off camera, he's cursing Sandler and Marvel, but he puts on this congratulatory act 😂. He did the same act after A Quiet Place got off the deck, after a narrow second weekend defeat, to crush Rampage from then on 😂. You can see the blow to his ego in his EYES 😂

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

All of these to me have a fair shot minus Spider Verse. For some reason, I see that having zero chance whatsoever at $200M+ DOM.

I think Ralph 2 and Mary Poppins feel like locks to do $200M+ DOM.

I honestly find it weird people are so cautious with Into the Spiderverse but throw out outlandish predicts for Mary Poppins on a whim.

Not so much $200m but the $300m+ predicts I see in places.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

Just now, cookie said:

I honestly find it weird people are so cautious with Into the Spiderverse but throw out outlandish predicts for Marry Poppins on a whim.

Maybe Teen Titans is set for a 50m opening weekend too.

8 minutes ago, cookie said:

I honestly find it weird people are so cautious with Into the Spiderverse but throw out outlandish predicts for Marry Poppins on a whim.

Hope I'm wrong. I want to see pretty everything listed breakout. Great for movie houses across the states. I just don't see a wide audience embracing Spider-Verse. I think casual viewers will be confused. And, it's animated. Unfortunately, I think when a superhero property is animated rather than live action, the GA sees it as second rate and doesn't run out to see it. Now, this does not apply The Incredibles as it was only and always animated. I'm thinking more so Batman and Stars Wars animated films that were given a wide release theatrically.

I think moviegoers associate Spider-man with live action. Not to mention, he just appeared in Infinity War and will appear next July in his own feature. And, yeah, I know this is a different Spider-man, not Peter Parker.

All that said, I do think it'll definitely do $100M+ DOM.

Mary Poppins is a widely adored cinematic property with a huge nostalgia hook and Wreck It Ralph adjusts to $215M+ DOM. I imagine that's why folks have each pegged at $200M+ DOM.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer