YM!

Weekend Thread | Hotel 3 $44.1 Skyscraper 25.4, Ant Man’s size does matter with $28.8M

2 minutes ago, L Silverman said:

What was specifically disappointing about Skyscraper?

I can't really get into it in the weekends number thread. I will write a review for it tonight when I get home from work in the review section. But overall the script is weak the characters are cookie-cutter and the action is not even directed that well. It had so much potential and all the pieces were there for it to be a really fun summer movie and it failed in my opinion on pretty much every level.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I completely disagree, I think it's perfect summer fun that's enjoyable if you forgive the fact that it's predictable as hell.  Any scene where he's climbing on the building or the crane is breathtaking.  I did go in with pretty low expectations though after Rampage disappointed me.

I agree with this. I had a ton of fun with it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

He's going to burn through his demand faster if he keeps overbooking poor and mediocre projects that then financially under perform.  This has a $129m budget and while China will probably bring in big enough numbers like Rampage to make the WW B.O. look good one would believe Universal and WB both hoped for better U.S. returns (with those far nicer ancillaries) on their 2018 Rockbusters.

the way is recent project (this and Red Notice) are financed it could be hard to be sure.

On Skyscraper apparently 50% come from Legendary and there is one other Beijing financier getting involved, are they pure co-financier, do they market split (i.e. China and some other market  goes to them and Universal has a 62m movie in the rest of the world to them).

On this I am not sure Universal is quite exposed if they are not a pure distributor taking an off the top fee type:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5758778/companycredits

Production Companies

No credited role in production side at least on imdb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

I can't really get into it in the weekends number thread. I will write a review for it tonight when I get home from work in the review section. But overall the script is weak the characters are cookie-cutter and the action is not even directed that well. It had so much potential and all the pieces were there for it to be a really fun summer movie and it failed in my opinion on pretty much every level.

Thanks, baumer.  Yeah, I thought the action scenes in Central Intelligence were especially bad so didn't have much hope for this movie with Thurber directing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Dwayne is gonna have a legendary meltdown on social media after those numbers.

Eh, he survived Baywatch flopping, he'll survive this. This movie will also be swiftly forgotten about anyway.

And yes, those numbers are terrible. Just goes to show that when the film isn't appealing, people won't show up.

3 hours ago, Alli said:

I still don't understand why Mamma Mia will increase so much over the first one

It will not necessarily increase so much, first one made, first one made around 170m in 2018 dollar, it could open at 55m and still actually decrease. It will be more frontloaded.

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

I thought he gave a legit great performance in Pain & Gain. The Rock's earnestness and enthusiasm + a character who's a psychopath = amazing. I remember watching Central Intelligence and wishing it had been a dark comedy too by taking his character in that direction, even if the result wouldn't have made any money. 

He was good in pain&Gain and there will be something there to work with at some point for sure.

Yeah many predict a good director will make a good movie with a good performance when he start to crack (using the movie star personae fully).

I saw David Poland proposal on twitter of a Jean Claude Van Damn JVCD type movie, were the Rock wrestler persona is the real human and Dwayne Johnson is a character he invented to make money from the movie business.

I can see someone like Paul Thomas Anderson coming with something  a la Punch Drunk Love that fully use him and even if he does the exact same usual (Sandler was pretty much doing the exact same performance than he always do) it will be great in that context.