YM!

Weekend Thread | Hotel 3 $44.1 Skyscraper 25.4, Ant Man’s size does matter with $28.8M

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Skyscraper tanking really isn't his fault at all. The problem was that the movie looked like it literally rolled off an assembly line in a factory. No amount of starpower could've overcome that.

That's what I think. I think it's too old fashioned looking and didn't look special enough to audiences. 

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Not more The Rock isn't really a star because he has a disappointment talk. Brad Pitt can't sell every film either and yet people don't like discussing that for some reason. The bias against The Rock here is overwhelming. 

BOT every time The Rock shows he's a box office draw and they can't use the "he's not a star" narrative anymore

taylor-blank-space-mashable-gif.gif

11 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Not more The Rock isn't really a star because he has a disappointment talk. Brad Pitt can't sell every film either and yet people don't like discussing that for some reason. The bias against The Rock here is overwhelming. 

I like The Rock I just think he should pick better scripts - this looked unappealing & even though San Andreas made money I thought it was ridiculous.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Skyscraper tanking really isn't his fault at all. The problem was that the movie looked like it literally rolled off an assembly line in a factory. No amount of starpower could've overcome that.

I think Red Notice has promise but Skyscraper should be done on a mid sized budget, I imagine Legendary thought it was a ready made hit and just overspent. 

I think Skyscraper might have done a little better if they'd actually used a real building. I don't think it's a huge factor but the titular skyscraper is very silly looking (from what I've seen of the marketing, anyway).

Ghost Protocol does the skyscraper shenanigans right. Real building, real stunts, real good.

• Like 5

Skyscraper falling under $20 million would be comparable to the back-to-back The Island/Stealth misfires 13 years ago. All are big effects films whose liabilities look obvious in hindsight yet were expected to do well (or in Stealth's case, expected to do well until The Island's performance sounded alarm bells) just because they were big-budget summer movies (though Skyscraper had the bankable star those two movies lacked).

Edited by Webslinger

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Red Notice has promise but Skyscraper should be done on a mid sized budget, I imagine Legendary thought it was a ready made hit and just overspent. 

Isn't Legendary s subsidiary of a Chinese conglomerate now? Skyscraper is likely going to made good money in China.

6 hours ago, baumer said:

Well, Skyscraper will probably be my most over predicted film of the year.  I took a 60 mill OW and a 200 total in the summer game.  This looked like a slam dunk to me.  Die Hard meets Towering Inferno with the Rock.  This looked like it had slam dunk written all over it.  I really don't get the box office at times.  

The Die Hard rip off was played out years ago.

And this one was cheesy enough to bring out the cynicism in most of the Rock's fanbase and action flick fans.

Skyscraper will be saved by China. That's is basically why it was made. 

I think a draw is someone who can make a film profitable against the odds, a film that is not a commercial genre film that does not get the reviews. I like The Rock but with one exception he has been on autopilot the last few years. But he gets the biggest free pass in the business, maybe the biggest I have ever seen. It is like a conveyor belt. He can do 3-4 films a year, all the same type, all playing basically The Rock, even wearing the same cloths, and no one calls him out. Not even Arnold or Stallone or Cruise had it this easy. No one ever says he is overexposed. Or cruising. Or creatively lazy. If Taylor Swift does not speak about politics she gets called out. But not the Rock. If Jennifer Lawrence appears in 2 films a year we are told she is in everything, but not the Rock. If virtually any other actor plays the same character over and over and over sooner or later there is a backlash. But not the Rock.  

You know what. The more I think about it I freaking hate the guy's guts.      

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The Die Hard rip off was played out years ago.

And this one was cheesy enough to bring out the cynicism in most of the Rock's fanbase and action flick fans.

I was watching the movie thinking to myself that it would've done very well in a different time. Shame, but it is what it is.

33 minutes ago, Nova said:

BOT every time The Rock shows he's a box office draw and they can't use the "he's not a star" narrative anymore

taylor-blank-space-mashable-gif.gif

When did Jennifer Lawrence lose so much weight? Is she okay?

42 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I heard Tyrese hacked ten BOT accounts, fam.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Dwayne is gonna have a legendary meltdown on social media after those numbers.

Nah, the dude’s usually pretty optimistic and has owned up to shortcomings in a pretty mature way

• Community Manager
44 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You mean the bias against anything that isn't a CBM.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I think Skyscraper might have done a little better if they'd actually used a real building. I don't think it's a huge factor but the titular skyscraper is very silly looking (from what I've seen of the marketing, anyway).

Ghost Protocol does the skyscraper shenanigans right. Real building, real stunts, real good.

Real Cruise too, which is a decisive factor.

• Like 1

damn looks like Grace's recently formed friendship with the rock was all for nothing. If he can't help his own movie then he sure as hell can't give her a career push. 

Oh well - RIP Dwayne Johnson you had a good run.

Bildresultat för building collapsing gif

• Haha 2