YM!

Weekend Thread | Hotel 3 $44.1 Skyscraper 25.4, Ant Man’s size does matter with $28.8M

Just now, Rebeccas said:

The Rock also isn't going to become some Academy Award winning character actor in later years so he's right to take advantage of his situation right now.

There was that brief moment after his first try at action star fizzled where he was doing some acting and surprising people in Be Cool and Southland Tales - then came his replacing an actor or being added to a sequel success and the rest is a Schwarzeneggerian career path in action films and comedies.

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

He's going to burn through his demand faster if he keeps overbooking poor and mediocre projects that then financially under perform.  This has a $129m budget and while China will probably bring in big enough numbers like Rampage to make the WW B.O. look good one would believe Universal and WB both hoped for better U.S. returns (with those far nicer ancillaries) on their 2018 Rockbusters.

Yeah but if they keep making $400m WW on $125m-ish budgets, studios will want to keep making these joints. That's going to be a solid profit, and even though I'm sure that they want higher DOM revenue, Universal and WB ain't gonna complain about making money.

Being judicious with your acting choices is nice, but the money he's getting now is not going to last forever. Maybe it will make his star burn out quicker, but you never know. Both of these movies seemed like they had higher ceilings, but the floors were also high because of Johnson's star-power.  In fact, I'm sure these kinds of movies still keep him and his fee attractive to studios, because they know that worst-case they are getting a solid money-maker WW.

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Skyscraper also has a lot of upcoming direct competition, Equalizer then MI, then a break for a weekend then the Meg. 

The Meg is gonna be an even bigger domestic dud than Skyscraper will be. I'll be surprised if it makes more than $60M total and that's in the best case scenario.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

There was that brief moment after his first try at action star fizzled where he was doing some acting and surprising people in Be Cool and Southland Tales - then came his replacing an actor or being added to a sequel success and the rest is a Schwarzeneggerian career path in action films and comedies.

I think he'll do television once his film career fizzles out. Ballers isn't great but I think it shows what kind of roles he could later on. 

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

The Meg is gonna be an even bigger domestic dud than Skyscraper will be. I'll be surprised if it makes more than $60M total and that's in the best case scenario.

I really hope you are wrong about this.  I'd love to see NA audiences embrace this film.  But sadly, I think you are right,

6 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I was confident on my 26M for survivor, then I started reading other predictions and decided to up it. Crap.

I went with 30.6... really hoping it’s leggy throughout the weekend

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

As much as I think it looks like poo I've seen a lot people react very positively to the trailer in theaters.

Edited by cookie

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I went with 30.6... really hoping it’s leggy throughout the weekend

Better than my 33M... I was counting on it being backloaded but I don't think it will be that backloaded. I gotta believe more in myself next time apparently!

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

So Mamma Mia! over Skyscraper? I've been listening to the soundtrack on Spotify and it's really good. 

It's pre-sales so far have been considerably bigger. I want to see Monday's Fandango numbers but over Oceans 8 wouldn't surprise me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Better than my 33M... I was counting on it being backloaded but I don't think it will be that backloaded. I gotta believe more in myself next time apparently!

I’m curious to how Stby does this weekend cause I can’t tell if I fucked up on that one or not 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, I've had Mamma Mia pegged for a $40-45M opening for a while. Universal's done a great job of building excitement for it among its target audience.

I wonder why Mamma Mia! clicks better with US audiences whereas something like Bridget Jones' Baby was a dud domestically. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder why Mamma Mia! clicks better with US audiences whereas something like Bridget Jones' Baby was a dud domestically. 

The Broadway version was huge and and if The Greatest Showman taught us anything musicals can have crazy longevity.

In the case of Bridget Jones the romantic comedy genre is almost Netflix-exclusive these days.

Edited by cookie