YM!

Weekend Thread | Hotel 3 $44.1 Skyscraper 25.4, Ant Man’s size does matter with $28.8M

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder why Mamma Mia! clicks better with US audiences whereas something like Bridget Jones' Baby was a dud domestically. 

The first Bridget was a nice sized hit.  Then the second one just killed all momentum - just awful but then so was the second book.  The 3rd just came too late.

1 minute ago, Alli said:

I still don't understand why Mamma Mia will increase so much over the first one

The legs will be worse (the original made 5x its opening) but I imagine the total won't see much of a drop-off. The decade-long gap between movies feels like it's going to help it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The legs will be worse (the original made 5x its opening) but I imagine the total won't see much of a drop-off. The decade-long gap between movies feels like it's going to help it.

OS will be interesting, I think it'll decline but still over $300m

Just now, That One Guy said:

Universal is already making shitloads of money from Jurassic World and First Purge and will make more money with Unfriended 2 and Mamma Mia next week. Skyscraper underperforming shouldn’t have too much of an effect on them.

Unfriended 2 is being released by BH Tilt, not Universal.

42 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

The Rock also isn't going to become some Academy Award winning character actor in later years so he's right to take advantage of his situation right now.

I thought he gave a legit great performance in Pain & Gain. The Rock's earnestness and enthusiasm + a character who's a psychopath = amazing. I remember watching Central Intelligence and wishing it had been a dark comedy too by taking his character in that direction, even if the result wouldn't have made any money. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Universal is already making shitloads of money from Jurassic World and First Purge and will make more money with Unfriended 2 and Mamma Mia next week. Skyscraper underperforming shouldn’t have too much of an effect on them.

It's still going to make good money overseas.

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The first Bridget was a nice sized hit.  Then the second one just killed all momentum - just awful but then so was the second book.  The 3rd just came too late.

It's a shame because it was a much better film, I really hope romcoms can make a comeback but the only one on the horizon is Isn't it Romantic and the Danny Boyle/Richard Curtis film

58 minutes ago, baumer said:

You're right.  That's a good one.  But maybe, just maybe, even though Dadario isn't a huge star, seeing her running around in danger was a good selling point.  I'm not sure at this point.  And to be honest, San Andreas was the film I thought Skyscraper would follow.

We are really grasping at straws here :P. I really like Daddario and especially love "THE DADDARIOS" *cough True Detective cough*. But she's not a star who can sell a movie. If she did , her movie with Kate Upton wouldn't have tanked. Moreover she was with Rock in Baywatch as well and we all know how that turned out.

I really enjoyed Skyscraper, but you have to avoid the 3D version ( it adds nothing )

The Equalizer 2 will be direct competition to Skyscraper and if the movie is good like the trailer and the clips, holy shit...First one was insanely good and Denzel has a solid fanbase. 

Then we'll get Mission Impossible.

Solid for HT3, that should hold up in matinees and Saturday numbers.

For Skyscraper, that’s ok but not great. Probably treading waters more than being a big hit. Thankfully international markets and dailies could help out some.

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I said something like 135k give or take, no clue what the PTA will be

Does anybody even know what A24's expansion plan is for it? I've checked all of the arthouse theaters in the area and it's on none of their schedules.