YM!

Weekend Thread | Hotel 3 $44.1 Skyscraper 25.4, Ant Man’s size does matter with $28.8M

41 minutes ago, el sid said:

Both numbers for the bigger new releases disappoint me a lot. But - let's say HT 3 gets to 16M on Friday - isn't the muliplier a bit too pessimistic for a so far quite well liked family film?

It would still only be a $12.1M true Friday (with $2.6M Thurs previews and $1.3M June 30 previews).

So, 12.1 + 15.7 (+30%) + 12 (-24%) + 3.9 = 43.7M

Still not gonna get much higher unless it goes higher than $16M today...

• Like 1

What exactly has Vin done outside of Fast and Furious recently??

Voiceover work (saying 3 words) doesn’t count and he wasn’t a draw, by any stretch of the imagination lol. 

Rock just has to reply easily to Vin: “Jumanji”

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Nova said:

Is Sorry To Bother You opening in more theaters? 

My theater had a display for it and yet it’s not playing there this weekend.

Biggest tease of my life since my prom night 

:sparta:

Something tells me it's about to fare really poorly this weekend (as in sub-$2M from 800 theaters) and quickly fade from here due to theaters dropping it fast. Annapurna strikes out again; hopefully they'll finally get it together in time for Backseat or Cheney or whatever they're calling it in December.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I thought Skyscraper was pretty good.  Most of it actually caught me by surprise.  Neve Campbell is in it.  Hotel Transylvania 3 was good, but I have not seen the first two.  Both movies threw stuff at the screen and it was pretty colorful and entertaining, but I think if you were reviewing them like Ratatouille, maybe the wrong crunch on a piece of something and the review is soiled rotten.

Skyscraper - (B-)82%

Hotel Transylvania 3 - (C+)77%

Look for all these movies to hold well, -25% in the coming weeks up against Mi6 and for Mi6 to tank with 40 OW and spread the wealth among other movies like Incredibles, Ant-Man, and Jurassic World

Edited by 5xmatrixdu

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Something tells me it's about to fare really poorly this weekend (as in sub-$2M from 800 theaters) and quickly fade from here due to theaters dropping it fast. Annapurna strikes out again; hopefully they'll finally get it together in time for Backseat or Cheney or whatever they're calling it in December.

That'd be an unprecedented PTA collapse. I imagine the reviews and WOM from the past week will drive it higher. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Vin Diesel looking at The Rock's newest film's numbers 

tenor.gif?itemid=8355469

Except he cant open anything outside of F2F.

• Like 6

Skyscraper didn't need a 125 million budget.  Should have slashed half of that. 60/65 million should have been reasonable.

I really liked it, probably because I had low expectations. 

The Rock is in everything. He's the male Jennifer Lawrence. He should rest his image a little bit.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Legendary is lucky they were part of JW and Mamma Mia! because their track record with Universal hasn't been great. 

If HT3 does do $40-42m then that's not great for Sony although it'll be profitable as the budget is only $65m

LOL how is that not great for Hotel Transylvania part 3? It's not like it's a Minions movie or a Pixar brand. It's going to do exactly what everyone pegged it to do. I think it's great number and I'm sure studio will be happy with it. That's for skyscraper I don't see what looked so bad about it. It had a fantastic trailer and a likeable star and I was very excited to see it. I just don't get why it opens so softly.

• Like 2

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

That'd be an unprecedented PTA collapse. I imagine the reviews and WOM from the past week will drive it higher. 

I don't know, I've been looking around for tonight and it's selling abysmally everywhere. I'm just hoping that it can reach $3M (for a PTA of nearly $4K) since it's probably too "out there" to become a mainstream success.

• Sad 1

Not more The Rock isn't really a star because he has a disappointment talk. Brad Pitt can't sell every film either and yet people don't like discussing that for some reason. The bias against The Rock here is overwhelming. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Skyscraper didn't need a 125 million budget.  Should have slashed half of that. 60/65 million should have been reasonable.

I really liked it, probably because I had low expectations. 

The Rock is in everything. He's the male Jennifer Lawrence. He should rest his image a little bit.

Where did the budget go? At least you can see with something like Rampage where they spent the budget? I'm guessing Legendary got a bit overexcited about a Dwayne Johnson film. 

I'd like to see a Dwayne Johnson-J-Law film, maybe an action comedy of some sort

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Not more The Rock isn't really a star because he has a disappointment talk. Brad Pitt can't sell every film either and yet people don't like discussing that for some reason. The bias against The Rock here is overwhelming. 

Skyscraper tanking really isn't his fault at all. The problem was that the movie looked like it literally rolled off an assembly line in a factory. No amount of starpower could've overcome that.