YM!

Weekend Thread | Hotel 3 $44.1 Skyscraper 25.4, Ant Man’s size does matter with $28.8M

3 hours ago, baumer said:

Kevin Hart by himself doesn't really sell a movie and it looks like Johnson by himself can't really sell a movie beyond a certain opening weekend

Kevin Hart is a bit hyper and need a serious strait men to bounce off be fully efficient (Ferell, Cube, Johnson), but he can sell an impressive amount of theater tickets without even having any movie:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=kevinhart2013.htm

1 hour ago, Biggestgeekever said:

15315037538694163935094099709444.jpg

This is gonna blow the fuck up in October.

1ywkg1.jpg

I did not need to see that sooooo many times . :bagoverhead:

Edited by Keanu
words missing
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

San Andreas opened to $50m+. 

That a genre that can open quite high even with a cast of total unknown too

2 9 The Day After Tomorrow Fox $186,740,799 3,444 $68,743,584 3,425 5/28/04

4 12 2012 Sony $166,112,167 3,444 $65,237,614 3,404 11/13/09

Gravity and San Andreas doing 55m were probably helped by their star, but that the kind of movie that do it with no one, making it a bit harder to pin point.

Deepwater Horizon did only 20.2m with a nice assemble, Days after tomorrow made over 100m adjusted OW with Denis Quaid....

3 hours ago, baumer said:

I've said this so many times and I'll say it again.  I'm 46 now and have studied the box office for about 30 years.  And no matter how much I think I know (and I really don't think I know much anymore), the box office humbles me so much more than it doesn't.  

One of my big one was my: Who is going to watch deadpool but didn't went to see John Wick.

And to add to this, you had those thought/prediction once marketing trailer, knowing exactly what the competition look like and what the movie before in the year did, the social climate, etc... imagine when reading a script of a movie to be released in 3 or 4 year's and having to decide.

• Like 1

Jesus fuck that's horrible for Skyscraper

https://deadline.com/2018/07/dwayne-johnson-skyscraper-ant-man-and-the-wasp-hotel-transylvania-3-weekend-box-office-1202426089/

2nd Update, Friday: Sony Animation’s Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation as expected will lead the box office this weekend with an opening now estimated between $40M-$42M off a $14M-$16M Friday. Meanwhile, Dwayne Johnson vehicle Skyscraper might be a movie that’s about a high rise that’s up in flames, but its opening weekend is looking pretty chilly right now with a $7.5M Friday and a 3-day between $19M-$21M in third.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 3
  • Sad 1

Just saw Skyscraper. Didn't like it at all. It's honestly too bad because there were three movies I was really excited for this summer. Deadpool part 2, Meg, and skyscraper. Skyscraper might be the most disappointing film I've seen definitely this year but maybe over the last couple of years.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 4
  • Disbelief 2

Just now, baumer said:

Just saw Skyscraper. Didn't like it at all. It's honestly too bad because there were three movies I was really excited for this summer. Deadpool part 2, Meg, and skyscraper. Skyscraper might be the most disappointing film I've seen definitely this year but maybe over the last couple of years.

What was specifically disappointing about Skyscraper?

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I completely disagree, I think it's perfect summer fun that's enjoyable if you forgive the fact that it's predictable as hell.  Any scene where he's climbing on the building or the crane is breathtaking.  I did go in with pretty low expectations though after Rampage disappointed me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Dwayne is gonna have a legendary meltdown on social media after those numbers.

Vin Diesel may have a field day with it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1