sfran43

Weekend Thread: | Estimates (per BOM) ~ M:I-F 35M, DCR 25.003M, TSWDM 12.35M, MM!HWGA 9.09M, TE2 8.83M, HT3:SV 8.2M, AMatW 6.188M, TDM 5.8M

24 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Wow, great hold for Tom.  WOM is starting to kick in.  Pretty good for Pooh, was hoping for closer to a "Peanuts" like performance from 3 years ago but that came out in Nov near the holidays so it's not really a fair comparison.  Look, Pooh is huge and Legendary, specially in merch but the movies haven't done the best domestically.  I know this was the first live action Pooh movie and the others were animated but I still look at the franchise historically. The Unadjusted crown is looking good for "Christopher Robin" but Looks like "Tigger" total might keep the Adjusted crown.  Silver lining? This tracking for the best opening of the Franchise though.  

Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Adjusted Gross Unadjusted Gross Release
1 The Tigger Movie BV $78,347,000 $45,554,533 2/11/00
2 Piglet's Big Movie BV $35,517,200 $23,103,423 3/21/03
3 Winnie the Pooh BV $31,164,100 $26,692,846 7/15/11
4 Pooh's Heffalump Movie BV $26,173,500 $18,098,433 2/11/05
TOTAL: $171,201,900 $113,449,235 -
AVERAGE: $42,800,500 $28,362,309

-

Pete's Dragon had a 3.53 multi with one week less of summer, Kubo the next week and lower audience scores - no reason to think CR would do less than a 3x.  It's more likely it does a 4x.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

Im addition to 2001 getting an IMAX rerelease, it seems IMAX is also rereleasing all MCU movies (in select theatres) for a week in US towards the end of August. Some theatres have already started selling tickets. 

Here is more info

Shame we dont get these kind of rereleases here 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

Avatar and The Force Awakens will continue to be the only movies that REALLY passed the 700 million dom mark

700m is completely arbitrary anyway.

Something like 0.5A is way more meaningful, shame BP couldn't reach it.

17 minutes ago, grim22 said:

UK should do well, maybe Japan but not as good anywhere else.

Could have done well in China but it's been banned ....

China’s film authorities have denied a release to Disney’s family drama-comedy “Christopher Robin” as the country appears to still be blocking images of the Winnie the Pooh character

In China, authorities have been blocking pictures of Winnie the Pooh because Chinese media had compared Chinese leader Xi Jinping to the bear character. In June, Chinese authorities blocked HBO after “Last Week Tonight” host John Oliver took a critical look at the country, including the Chinese government’s crackdown on dissent, the power of Xi Jinping and dissidents comparing Xi Jinping to Winnie the Pooh.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/christopher-robin-china-winnie-the-pooh-ban-1202895071/

MI6 needs 3.73x to beat JL. To come anywhere close to MI5's ~3.5x multi would be phenomenal and doing that much better seems extraordinary and unrealistic but it's having a much better hold despite heavier previews!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

The Darkest Minds is Fox's first release since Deadpool and only their 5th release this year. Their remaining releases this year are The Predator, Bad Times at the El Royale, The Hate U Give, Bohemian Rhapsody, Widows, and Alita. Guess they've been really prepping for that sale.

Don't forget that they delayed 2 tentpoles this year.

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I2 should hit 600, but I get the feeling we're in for another long, painful, maybe fudgy ride there. Wouldn't be shocked if it takes until WIR2's OW. 

It won't. It's bound to get a nice re-expansion over Labor Day weekend.

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It won't. It's bound to get a nice re-expansion over Labor Day weekend.

It will make around what Dory did in its 7th weekend this weekend. Dory added 17m from there. If I2 did the same, it would finish 600-601. That would take until November though.