BenedictL11

Crazy Rich Asians - OS Thread

45 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

Assume CRA does 150m in DBO. Then a (55/45) DBO & IBO split gives CRA 122m from the Int'l markets. A 60/40 split gives the movie 100m OS. If CRA follows MBFGW & Sex and the City, it'll end up with 81m from OS markets.

So, near what get out did, $79m os. 

In the continental Europe (Italy, Portugal, Netherlands) it did very bad. I think it's gonna do a lot better in the Uk but nothing huge. I don't know about asian countries, this movie can be something special or an event for them or it's just a movie like many others?. 

2 hours ago, maxalcamo said:

In the continental Europe (Italy, Portugal, Netherlands) it did very bad. I think it's gonna do a lot better in the Uk but nothing huge. I don't know about asian countries, this movie can be something special or an event for them or it's just a movie like many others?. 

Doing well here in Singapore, but it’s a really small market.

only reason is that it is filmed here and many of the casts are from here.

2 hours ago, maxalcamo said:

Should do good in the U.K. Would’ve done even better if they released it at the same time as the US. It’s gonna be a Get Out situation, most of the promo and hype would’ve been a month old by time it gets released.

From DHD:

Elsewhere, Warner Bros’ Crazy Rich Asians hit its first South East Asian markets. The domestic juggernaut grossed $6M in 18 markets including seeing records in Singapore and Malaysiawhere it had the biggest openings ever for a romantic comedy. The film is set in Singapore and was shot there. Some local backlash in recent weeks over representation appears not to have dented the debut.

8 hours ago, AJG said:

Should do good in the U.K. Would’ve done even better if they released it at the same time as the US. It’s gonna be a Get Out situation, most of the promo and hype would’ve been a month old by time it gets released.

Get Out was released on the same day as BATB over here whereas CRA only has to face The Predator and King of Thieves.

It just opened in Indonesia. At first, I thought people here weren't that interested in the movie. But the book is apparently quite popular and the success in the US really built the hype. So this time the late release actually helped.

And having seen the movie, I think the WOM will be excellent. Many people here are familiar with the Chinese culture, especially Chinese in Singapore and South East Asia in general (notably in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia) which was shown a lot in this movie. Some of the jokes were even funnier to us. With landmarks like Gardens by the Bay and Marina Bay Sands, the locations were also familiar, especially to Indonesians who often go to Singapore. But most importantly, it's a great rom-com. I can't even remember when was the last time I saw a classic rom-com this good. So I expect a good box office performance in Indonesia.

• Like 1