Jayhawk the Hutt

Knives Out | Nov 27 2019 | 18th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Amazon Prime June 12

10 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

So, two nights of very widespread previews, many of which are selling out. 
You've got to figure it's making 5 million or so this weekend for previews, right?

If there were 1000 theaters participating (normal previews have 2-3k) $2-3m would probably be the very upper end since even with two nights 95% of theaters are only having one show a night. 

Though seat saturation was quite high in the NY area - 78.23% by 6pm last night -  only 22 theaters in the NYC area are doing them (about 1/3rd)

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

If there were 1000 theaters participating (normal previews have 2-3k) $2-3m would probably be the very upper end since even with two nights 95% of theaters are only having one show a night. 

Though seat saturation was quite high in the NY area - 78.23% by 6pm last night -  only 22 theaters in the NYC area are doing them (about 1/3rd)

As a counter point, Jumanji sneaks grossed 2 million from approx 1200 theatres back in 2017. 
https://deadline.com/2017/12/jumanji-welcome-to-the-jungle-amazon-prime-sneak-box-office-1202227292/

That was only one night instead of two, and that would have included a mix a child/adult ATP, whereas Knives Out has two nights of showings, and ATP should include adult only tickets. 2 million is certainly not the upper end. I think 4-5 million is certainly possible, considering the widespread sellouts on both preview nights.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

@TalismanRing DA did 2.3 with only one day of Sneaks, so I feel like 1.75 to 2 is what I want to see. 

From what I saw in NYC and the Arclight theaters it looked bigger than DA but I just don't now how many theaters nationwide played it compared to DA or Jumanji.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Very interesting how internationally all focus is on Evans and Craig, whereas domestically it's very much being sold as an ensemble piece. 

It makes sense. Evans and Craig are both in internatnational-heavy franchises, and the others aren't.

• Like 2

NYC area - 22 theaters, 29 showings (2 added) for Friday.  As of 6pm-6:15pm (takes time to count)

Alamo just put up a 4th showing for midnight (in the biggest screen yet). Only 3 other theaters have 2 screens despite multiple sellouts and near sellout.  The 4th Alamo is the only show not close to selling out at 12/170 as of 6pm,. (It's at 32/170 as of 6:50pm)

Otherwise %s would higher.  This includes all wheelchair & companion seats

Saturday:  3,038/3,568 = 85.15%

Friday  as of 6pm totals = 2,612/3,334 =78.23%

F + S = 5,579/6,938 = 80.41%

• Thanks 3

This was really, really a great time at the movies, though I was surprised how...basic it was. It wasn't really anything more than a well-done mystery romp, but it was REALLY well-done. I was both slightly overhyped but incredibly satisfied? If that makes any sense. Still, a blast!

• Like 1