Box Office Hit

Free Guy | 20th Century | August 13 2021

13 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Man that CGI mocap for the ad with Korg didn't come free. It was better than the CGI in the actual movie. They pushed this very, very, very hard.

I don't think it was mobcap. I think they just animated it straight.

36 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Yes, and I'd bet Free Guys cost more.

How?

This have just a trailer when this got delayed for the first time. Then it got a new trailer and a new delay.

But this movie never was close enough to be released before the delays so it doesn't get an entire marketing campaign until now. It lost the timing and have to many trailers but that's it. 

TSS being a DC movie have costs with products, other brands etc that this didn't have. I agreed Disney push hard the marketing for this in the past 3 weeks, but there's nothing groundbreaking about the campaign for this movie to anyone think that not only cost 100M to market but actually cost more than a DC movie lol.

And answering your original question, this is being considered a success because:

A) It cost WAY less;

B ) It was tracking under 20M and will open way higher than that probably closer to 30M;

C) It is a theatrical exclusive release with excellent audience reception so with lack of competition this have a pretty good shot to be only the 6th movie crossing 100M domestic since pandemic;

D) It's an original IP.

I loved TSS and i understand it can look unfair similar numbers being received so different, but context matter and a DC comic book movie with a predecessor that opened with 133M opening under tracking and droping +70% on second weekend will always face more pressure and hard judging, it is what it is. Of course context matter for TSS too, we know HBO Max is hurting bad, Rated R hurt it, but still the results are too bad to be justified simply as that.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This have just a trailer when this got delayed for the first time. Then it got a new trailer and a new delay.

Yes, meaning they've been working on this campaign for a very long time, and had a huge push in the last few months. That lends credence to my theory it cost a shit ton.

Again: they brought Marvel Studios in for this. When has Disney ever done that for a non-Marvel movie?

Edited by SpiderByte

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

Well Waititi was definitely there: this bts photo shows a two mic setup for the both of them. And if he was there it was likely mocap.

Those aren't actual mics...

Those are props.

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Yes, meaning they've been working on this campaign for a very long time, and had a huge push in the last few months. That lends credence to my theory it cost a shit ton.

Again: they brought Marvel Studios in for this. When has Disney ever done that for a non-Marvel movie?

Yes i know about this video, but it's only a video. FG is Disney, so as Deadpool, Marvel and everyone involved in this, is not a big deal or something complicated to do.

Like i said, marketing was very long with the trailers, but the actual expensive campaign started only 2 months ago. This is not like NTTD which actually is coming to it's third full marketing campaign.

The results are so good considering the acceptable budget that Disney wants a sequel based only on OD, but anyway, i think i alreadyw made my point.

3 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:
5 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Yes i know about this video, but it's only a video. FG is Disney, so as Deadpool, Marvel and everyone involved in this, is not a big deal or something complicated to do.

I don't mean theres legal issues, I mean that they have literally never done this for say, Pirates or Jungle Cruise. Plus, again, it's not free.

10 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't mean theres legal issues, I mean that they have literally never done this for say, Pirates or Jungle Cruise. Plus, again, it's not free.

It was most likely a Reynolds idea and they went with it considering for the first Deadpool movie they released a shit ton of videos like that and it worked. 

It’s not free but it’s not overly expensive either.  If I remember correctly, Ryan at one point with the first Deadpool talked about how inexpensive making and releasing those kinds of videos are cause really they just had costs for filming and nothing else cause the video would go online and go viral. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nova said:

It was most likely a Reynolds idea and they went with it considering for the first Deadpool movie they released a shit ton of videos like that and it worked. 

It’s not free but it’s not overly expensive either.  If I remember correctly, Ryan at one point with the first Deadpool talked about how inexpensive making and releasing those kinds of videos are cause really they just had costs for filming and nothing else cause the video would go online and go viral. 

Yes, but those did not involve a giant CGI rock monster.

49 minutes ago, Nova said:

More importantly, the strategy fit in well to the tik-tok world since they made marketing more interactive.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Yes, but those did not involve a giant CGI rock monster.

Dude the video's like 3 minutes long. The CGI rock monster just sits around doing nothing for a whole minute. I sincerely doubt it was this ultra expensive promo you're making it out to be.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Free Eric said:

Dude the video's like 3 minutes long. The CGI rock monster just sits around doing nothing for a whole minute. I sincerely doubt it was this ultra expensive promo you're making it out to be.

I just said it wasn't free. I don't know why people are so in denial about how hard this movie got pushed.

Edited by SpiderByte

41 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I just said it wasn't free. I don't know why people are so in denial about how hard this movie got pushed.

Everyone knows they push hard the past month, we just disagreed that the marketing cost most than TSS which was your point that have no evidence.

• Like 2