Box Office Hit

Free Guy | 20th Century | August 13 2021

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Saw this. Dug it. Feel like the anti-corporate/pro-non IP sequel message is a little undercut by the Disney synergy bits but overall dug it.

Interesting to see how that continue that in the… sequel.

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Is Free Guy the only movie in the last two years to actually benefit from Covid? Idk what it'd have to opened to but the legs definitely would never have been this good.

almost any movie that didnt come on disney/hbo max benefited honestly

Edited by Cruel Summer

45 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

almost any movie that didnt come on disney/hbo max benefited honestly

No I mean, not succeeding despite covid, I mean doing better than it would have because of covid. I don't think Free Guy would be doing these insane holds in a pre covid environment

On 8/22/2021 at 7:23 PM, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I don't think it is worse than Space Jam 2 because Space Jam had absolutely no entertainment value but this is absolutely not a good movie. I understand it makes people feel well and it's occasionally admittedly fun with a charismatic performance from Jodie Comer but the means it goes through to reach those crowdpleasing moments is very shrill and lazy. Those 2 big fan service moments in the 3rd act were ridiculous but played well in the theater (of course)

Taika's performance in this is also undeniably atrocious. A cancerous onscreen void. I challenge anyone to defend whatever it is he's doing. It's so painfully unfunny I believe he's trolling. A deliberate science-experiment to see how far he can last on Hollywood goodwill

Taika delivered probably the worst performance in a film I have seen in the last couple years in this. Just pure cringe inducing and painfully unfunny. I was embarrassed every time he was on screen.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

Taika delivered probably the worst performance in a film I have seen in the last couple years in this. Just pure cringe inducing and painfully unfunny. I was embarrassed every time he was on screen.

It’s a very gross and smug performance. Unmatched and unprecedented levels of unfunniness. Shame on Levy for allowing that to happen on set. It makes no sense to me the passes this man is given. Adam Sandler is constantly mocked while Taika gets away with whatever the hell he was doing here. No better than anything Pauly Shore did

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

It’s a very gross and smug performance. Unmatched and unprecedented levels of unfunniness. Shame on Levy for allowing that to happen on set. It makes no sense to me the passes this man is given. Adam Sandler is constantly mocked while Taika gets away with whatever the hell he was doing here. No better than anything Pauly Shore did

Since you mentioned Sandler, it just reminded me Ive been thinking since I saw the movie how it probably would've been critically panned had had he starred in it. Like if this was a Pixels sequel, would anyone even dare give it a positive review?

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Is Free Guy the only movie in the last two years to actually benefit from Covid? Idk what it'd have to opened to but the legs definitely would never have been this good.

The legs are better than avg for August but even in normal years there's not much competition in the later half of August and into September which is why August legs are usually very good.  Shang-Chi will provide far more competition than normal.  I think only December has better legs.    Even Hitman's Bodyguard had 3.5x legs.  

• Like 1

I guess I'm the only one here who thought Taika was terrific.  The average audience member has no idea who he is so maybe they don't really care as much as you guys do.  

This is by far my favourite film of the last  two years.  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

I guess I'm the only one here who thought Taika was terrific.  The average audience member has no idea who he is so maybe they don't really care as much as you guys do.  

I liked his performance too, he was intentionally a massively irritating dick and I think a lot of people are missing that point. He wasn’t meant to be likeable. The fact that he seems to have annoyed so many people says to me that he played it perfectly.

The “what you talkin’ ‘bout, Willis?” line delivery tickled me.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, baumer said:

Agreed on both parts. He played the part how he was suppose to.  

• Like 2