kayumanggi

CAPTAIN MARVEL | 701.4 M overseas ● 1128.3 M worldwide

49 minutes ago, john2000 said:

sorry then bc i wasnt member of the forum back then :( captain marvel run is nothing less than fantastic  , i just wanted an explanation as its my frist blockbuster that i follow with everything i am sorry if it came with the wrong way :( thank you for explaining to me i knew that the legs  wouldnt be as good ,it was just really weird to me why it had that big of ow ,and why the legs will be a little shorter than expected .... thanks for explain to me :) hope you didnt mind

No need to apologize. Everyone starts new and we always appreciate new and active members. And I am always happy to explain. Generally I tend to be more on the pessimistic (or rather somewhat realistic side) as opposed to some who are very optimistic. I just prefer to not be let down by huge expectations preferring to be pleasantly surprised if something over performs. 

With CM expectations were generally realistic at the beginning but the huge OW threw most people off. CM legs have been on the shorter side than average but I put it down to the huge OW and the rush on its opening weekend satiating demand. CM had huge OD and OW in many countries, especially in Asian and Latin countries where it had one of the best opening for a SH movie, sometime overtaking even the huge team up movies. We can speculate why that was and I gave some reasons for why I think that was in my previous post. With such huge opening I thought it was inevitable that legs wont be that great. 

Movies have generally become more and more front loaded with few exceptions. This is true for the Dom market, China and now most international markets as well. Thats just how it is. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

No need to apologize. Everyone starts new and we always appreciate new and active members. And I am always happy to explain. Generally I tend to be more on the pessimistic (or rather somewhat realistic side) as opposed to some who are very optimistic. I just prefer to not be let down by huge expectations preferring to be pleasantly surprised if something over performs. 

With CM expectations were generally realistic at the beginning but the huge OW threw most people off. CM legs have been on the shorter side than average but I put it down to the huge OW and the rush on its opening weekend satiating demand. CM had huge OD and OW in many countries, especially in Asian and Latin countries where it had one of the best opening for a SH movie, sometime overtaking even the huge team up movies. We can speculate why that was and I gave some reasons for why I think that was in my previous post. With such huge opening I thought it was inevitable that legs wont be that great. 

Movies have generally become more and more front loaded with few exceptions. This is true for the Dom market, China and now most international markets as well. Thats just how it is. 

agreed 1-1.1 billion is fantastic , now the storm is coming i am very excited to see how endgame does  i believe that it will be huge ;) i am not dissapointed with cm os performance i am just curious and maybe the fact that english is not my native launguage make it difficult for me express 

Edited by john2000
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

China is the one market, where movies generally have bad legs, because in part for their huge openings and it doesn't matter how well received the movie is here or there, it will still do it's 80%-90% gross in the first 2-3 weeks. It's such a weird market to follow. But it is still exciting nonetheless. 

• Like 1

dom went up (little bit) and OS went up too

Just now, terrestrial said:

Captain Marvel OS

estimate                           $636,800,000

actual  $638,627,636

Captain Marvel dom

estimate $353,805,815   

actual $353,970,079

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I feel as though CM outperforms estimates internationally pretty consistently. This is a $1.83m jump from estimates to actuals. Add the $.16 domestic increase and the 990.6 global total becomes 992.6 after actuals. Just needs $7.4m to hit 1b, so probably Tuesday/Wednesday.

• Like 1

For now only 10 countries / regions are tracked, but WE drop and number is a nice first step (for me at least)

Country
(click to view chart)
Rank Days in
Wknd
Weekend
Gross
%
Change
Screens/
Theaters
Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week #
FOREIGN TOTAL 2 3 $27,008,260 -48.5% 35 -19 $771,665 $638,627,636 4
Australia 3 4 $1,618,775 -41.1% 419 -226 $3,863 $24,733,289 4
New Zealand 3 4 $273,365 -37.4% 88 -2 $3,106 $3,617,133 4
South Africa 1 3 $251,958 -26.7% 115 -7 $2,191 $2,684,433 4
Turkey 1 3 $197,487 -27.4% 366 -27 $540 $3,196,891 4
Norway 2 3 $165,743 -44.0% 84 -10 $1,973 $2,809,751 4
Portugal 2 4 $120,256 -33.7% 77 -14 $1,562 $1,493,345 4
Vietnam 8 3 $45,325 -75.3% - - - $3,983,533 4
Iceland 3 3 $17,796 -48.3% 7 -6 $2,542 $340,133 4
Slovenia 3 3 $10,324 -37.6% 17 -3 $607 $161,719 4
Lithuania 9 3 $6,878 -53.0% 36 -29 $191 $209,814 4
Edited by terrestrial

Guess actuals up 1.3, was 1.8, solid. Hoping we can see a nice OS drop next weekend now that a lot of fast dropping markets like China, SK, SE Asia are mostly out of the mix. Will also be first weekend with SH competition though.

11 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Guess actuals up 1.3, was 1.8, solid. Hoping we can see a nice OS drop next weekend now that a lot of fast dropping markets like China, SK, SE Asia are mostly out of the mix. Will also be first weekend with SH competition though.

Does CM's China run end before next weekend or after it?

On 3/29/2019 at 1:15 PM, Nero said:

It earned around 28M Overseas this weekend. 

28*2=56

638+56=694M 

So, I think it will end around 695M+/- but of it holds better against Shazam ( which seems less likely) it could way past 700M OS. 

700M OS is very big thing considering it didn't get  much help from China like Aquaman. 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

5 minutes ago, Matthew said:

28*2=56

638+56=694M 

So, I think it will end around 695M+/- but of it holds better against Shazam ( which seems less likely) it could way past 700M OS. 

700M OS is very big thing considering it didn't get  much help from China like Aquaman. 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

we will see , i still think 680-700 and nope without china i dont see shazam making 100 ow more like dumbo 70-80

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

we will see , i still think 680-700 and nope without china i dont see shazam making 100 ow more like dumbo 70-80

hmmm maybe some families will split within the cinema, the girrls into CN their brothers into Shazam? (obviously mostly not counting for China, even with probably too recent change to have an impact)

This week doesn't make or break it for 700. It's possible that CM could run off several weekly holds of 35% drops before End Game

Say it gets to only 660 by end of week

That's 699.4 but I seriously the drop will be that bad, in fact it should be good till Friday. Much more likely to be closer to 665 than 660. At that point it doesn't even need great drops to make it.

Edited by cdsacken

16 minutes ago, Matthew said:

28*2=56

638+56=694M 

Well I think this is an understatement. It got the most help of any non team up marvel movies so China was pretty big for it (very big in that regard). (Aqm did get a lot more but it opened as big and only did that much because it connected with the chinese audience). 

I agree that $700m would be very impressive but to me it's hard to say with less help from china, because you will get help from china if they love your movie. So that on the movie not China.  

12 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Well I think this is an understatement. It got the most help of any non team up marvel movies so China was pretty big for it (very big in that regard). (Aqm did get a lot more but it opened as big and only did that much because it connected with the chinese audience). 

I agree that $700m would be very impressive but to me it's hard to say with less help from china, because you will get help from china if they love your movie. So that on the movie not China.  

Meh they absolutely loved Venom so it's unclear what they specifically love. On second Run I realized it didn't suck but isn't it like in the top 10 for Hollywood movies in china? It's nowhere near that good. Hardy was very good, vemom was good, and rest was bad. I guess if they added a mediocre love story CM could have done better.