kayumanggi

CAPTAIN MARVEL | 701.4 M overseas ● 1128.3 M worldwide

39 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

And I still disagree with it.  There are about 30 movies give or take in history that have reached the mark. There are some huge movies that have come out the past five years and not reached that point. 800+,  900+ ...   all great numbers.  1 billion is still a pretty exclusive club. 

Yeah, it’s still a great accomplishment. 37, with probably 6+ more this year means that 1.05B doesn’t necessarily get me all hot and bothered anymore, especially for a franchise movie that was widely expected to pass it (not the case for AQM or CM though). Even as recently as end of 2012 there were only 14, so it’s going to have tripled in 7 years. 

There’s a lot of subjective interpretation here, and plenty of room to disagree with my stance. I just wish people would disagree with the actual one rather than making an exaggerated caricature version to disagree with :)      

Edit: Also, I want to apologize for the tone of my first reply. This is like the 4th or 5th time my comments in that thread were blatantly misrepresented, and your’s just so happened to be the one that broke the camel’s back and got an excessive response from the bottled up annoyance.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Aquaman still would have been a great success even without inflated OS values. People cling to the 1 billion value but it doesn't matter. Had it been released 5 years earlier and did 800+ million that still would have been amazing.

Making the top 20 like AQM will always be very impressive. Doesn’t get made any easier with ticket prices or market expansion, because it’s completely relative.      

But we’re going to have a movie in 2021 or 2022 that passes 1B but misses the WW top 50, and my reaction to that will be “hey, pretty solid.”

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Making the top 20 like AQM will always be very impressive. Doesn’t get made any easier with ticket prices or market expansion, because it’s completely relative.      

But we’re going to have a movie in 2021 or 2022 that passes 1B but misses the WW top 50, and my reaction to that will be “hey, pretty solid.”

I don't believe it was your comments that I was talking about.  I went back and checked some comments and yours were tame compared to other comments that suggested the run wasn't impressive at all.  

To me a billion is still a magic number.  I don't believe it will always be this way,  for instance I am always going to be way more impressed with Titanic's run over other movies even if it is surpassed by many in the future. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

I think you are lowballing the domestic run quite a bit. It should be able to handle around $415M.  I think $1.1B is locked. 

415mil seems a bit hard at that moment. 400-410 mil is the most likely outcome if you ask me. I'm going to go in between and say 405 mil.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

40 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Hell Avengers 1 Run was more impressive to me than Infinity War.

Infinity War lost 150M+ just in exchange rates compared TA1. Hell, Brazil would have been around $120M compared to finishing around $67M, lost 53M in just 1 market.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, druv10 said:

Infinity War lost 150M+ just in exchange rates compared TA1. Hell, Brazil would have been around $120M compared to finishing around $67M, lost 53M in just 1 market.

Yeah but ticket prices have went up a ton as well. You are correct though, I think both are incredible.

17 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I went back and checked some comments and yours were tame compared to other comments that suggested the run wasn't impressive at all.  

Y I K E S    

Guess I had the good luck to miss those, that is quite ridiculous.

14 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Yeah but ticket prices have went up a ton as well. You are correct though, I think both are incredible.

Definitely, both are mighty impressive. They're in my top 5 runs since I have been following BO.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, druv10 said:

Not only that but IW is the only $2B movie that did reach that milestone out of Christmas season.

To me both Avengers and IW runs are equally REALLY impressive, having reached respectively $1.5B and $2B milestone movies at a time where there were just a few of them and without benefitting from that massive Christmas holliday boost nor by being somewhat rereleased.

I think with the exception of the Avengers series, there won't be another movie reaching $2B during the spring/summer time in a very long time.

Edited by Ent
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ent said:

To me both Avengers and IW runs are equally REALLY impressive, having reached respectively $1.5B and $2B milestone movies at a time where there were just a few of them and without benefitting from that massive Christmas holliday boost nor by being somewhat rereleased.

Pretty much imo.

Inflation between 2012 and 2018, (9.4%)

Avengers outside China: adjusted for dollar inflation (1,518,812,988-86,300,000)*1.094 = 1.567b

Avengers End Game outside China: 1.6888b

Movie annual box office share:

Year Title WW box office Movie BO Share

2012 Avengers 34.7 1.5188 4.38%

2018 Infinity War 41.7 2.0484 4.91%

First Avengers get a bonus for being the first making it close, IW get also a bonus for being an older and older franchise going on (not always a plus after 5 year's), hard to say which is more impressive.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 has an international run very similar to CM.

In the end week ending May 7, 2017 GOG2 made $ 123.8m weekend  OS.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/comscore-announces-official-worldwide-box-office-results-for-weekend-of-may-7-2017-300452807.html

A week later ending on May 14th GOG2 made $52.2m weekend (estimates) and And $101.8m on full week, bigger than CM $95m this week  (I'm already including actuals CM numbers).

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/comscore-announces-official-worldwide-box-office-results-for-weekend-of-may-14-2017-300457247.html

And after that GOG2 ended up making $89.5m more OS until the end of its run (total $473.9m OS), if CM continue to behave the same as Guardians of the Galaxy 2, will end up around $680m.

In the week ending May 21, 2017 GOG2 made $28m  weekend and $46.4m  full week.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/comscore-announces-official-worldwide-box-office-results-for-weekend-of-may-21-2017-300461144.html

If CM has similar numbers this week, it will end around $680m-$685m OS.

Edited by Lucasmessi12

2 minutes ago, Lucasmessi12 said:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/comscore-announces-official-worldwide-box-office-results-for-weekend-of-may-7-2017-300452807.html

A week later ending on May 14th GOG2 made $52.2m weekend (estimates) and And $101.8m on full week, bigger than CM $95m this week  (I'm already including actuals CM numbers).

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/comscore-announces-official-worldwide-box-office-results-for-weekend-of-may-14-2017-300457247.html

And after that GOG2 ended up making $89.5m more OS until the end of its run (total $473.9m OS), if CM continue to behave the same as Guardians of the Galaxy 2, will end up around $680m.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/comscore-announces-official-worldwide-box-office-results-for-weekend-of-may-21-2017-300461144.html

If CM has similar numbers this week, it will definitely end around $680m OS.

a very good analysis even though i dont see it  fingers crossed

Edited by john2000

25 minutes ago, Lucasmessi12 said:

If CM has similar numbers this week, it will definitely end around $680m OS.

I wouldn't expect CM to exactly mirror GOTG2's international run.  Yes, in its 3rd weekend of international release, GOTG2 made a similar amount as Captain Marvel, however GOTG2's release was staggered, many many of the markets in its 3rd weekend were actually on their second weekend (including China, Russia, and South Korea), and it also opened in Japan that week.  Basically, its not an apples to apples comparison.

Edited by IceFire9yt
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

I wouldn't expect CM to exactly mirror GOTG2's international run.  Yes, in its 3rd weekend of international release, GOTG2 made a similar amount as Captain Marvel, however GOTG2's release was staggered, many many of the markets in its 3rd weekend were actually on their second weekend (including China, Russia, and South Korea).  Basically, its not an apples to apples comparison.

agreed hoping captain marvel has good legs 

Edited by john2000

1 hour ago, Ent said:

Not only that but IW is the only $2B movie that did reach that milestone out of Christmas season.

I think with the exception of the Avengers series, there won't be another movie reaching $2B during the spring/summer time in a very long time.

If EG grosses less than $2B or even if crosses $2B but still less than IW, watch the haters blame Brie Larson and I'm pretty sure some will claim victory because they think they made their revenge against so-called SJW feminist propaganda. I've already encountered some comments like "I'm boycotting Endgame because of Brie" or statements resembling that one.

Also, this movie will have a TLJ-level effect to the MCU brand if the writers and directors designate CM as the one to kill Thanos. There will be huge repercussions to the brand. I hope it's not like that because the original Avengers, esp Tony and Cap deserve to be the ones to kill Thanos. Hardcore fans deserve to get angry if a newcomer suddenly steals the glory from the original Avengers. It's like you've wasted 10 years of good movie viewing experience.

Edited by UserHN
  • Knock It Off 2

27 minutes ago, UserHN said:

If EG grosses less than $2B or even if crosses $2B but still less than IW, watch the haters blame Brie Larson and I'm pretty sure some will claim victory because they think they made their revenge against so-called SJW feminist propaganda. I've already encountered some comments like "I'm boycotting Endgame because of Brie" or statements resembling that one.

Also, this movie will have a TLJ-level effect to the MCU brand if the writers and directors designate CM as the one to kill Thanos. There will be huge repercussions to the brand. I hope it's not like that because the original Avengers, esp Tony and Cap deserve to be the ones to kill Thanos. Hardcore fans deserve to get angry if a newcomer suddenly steals the glory from the original Avengers. It's like you've wasted 10 years of good movie viewing experience.

These so called hardcore fans didn't have a problem when Vision in his very first appearance lifted Thor's hammer (which no one else could), deleted Ultron from the internet, helped kill his main body and then landed the final blow to Ultron. No one complained he was too powerful and a Mary Sue. Guess those complaints are reserved only for female characters.

• Like 11

33 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

These so called hardcore fans didn't have a problem when Vision in his very first appearance lifted Thor's hammer (which no one else could), deleted Ultron from the internet, helped kill his main body and then landed the final blow to Ultron. No one complained he was too powerful and a Mary Sue. Guess those complaints are reserved only for female characters.

Well, this is the finale. In one site dedicated to movies about comic books, you can easily spot some diehard MCU fans based on their comments. These are the ones who also liked CM and defended Brie against trolls and haters in that site. And I've read many comments from these people who said that they will be very disappointed if the one to have the final blow on Thanos isn't one of the original Avengers. This is also a sentiment that I echo. I liked CM and I've defended Brie. But I don't want her to strike the final blow to Thanos. It should be Tony or Cap (or even Thor). It is widely known that this is their final MCU movie. It should be them. CM can have her moment in future Avengers movies.

Edited by UserHN
  • Like 1