aabattery

Weekend Thread | Asgard sneaks up on p.24 ~ H2018 28, ASIB 8.1, V 7.9 GB2 4.4,FM 3.7

2 minutes ago, gravestonedt said:

one hit wonders that leave a sour taste in ones mouth.  Hunter Killer opens next week, looks exciting, then the week after BR and Nutcracker (which could see a limited run) open and there could be a lot of audience fatigue.  Don't Breathe held a much much better audience reception than Halloween.  

You're saying that Hunter Killer will be a hit?

What are you predicting for it? I'd be surprised if it opened better than Geostorm.

Goslings problem isnt that he’s the Julia Roberts of this generation. I mean his movies typically gross the same amount except for La La Land and Blade Runner. And one could argue that neither one of those films had anything to do with him but other factors. That’s a discussion for a different day though. But even when he’s tried to play different characters like in Nice Guys, that bombed too. So to me it’s not about him being charismatic versus brooding. It’s more so his films typically open around the same and gross around the same. Whats ironic to me is how Ryan Reynolds gets labeled as box office poison when his Canadian counterpart isn’t any better. I would not be asking either of them to open up a $50M+ budget film unless it’s a Deadpool film (for Reynolds) 

Gosling is an actor who works when a film’s budget is $20M-$30M. Anything more than that and the film is most likely going to flop/bomb. His successful movies at the BO are usually budgeted around that. His bombs are the ones that are over that. And I know the rebuttal is going to be that Gosling is interested in being in good movies or whatever but hey that excuse never works for women or POC who don’t deliver at the box office. Just my two cents. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LegendaryBen said:

You're saying that Hunter Killer will be a hit?

What are you predicting for it? I'd be surprised if it opened better than Geostorm.

no, I'm saying Venom, Star/Born and Venom are to be one-hit wonders, and like Jurassic World, monster of the week X-files episodes whereas Halloween  8 will be on AMC for decades to come.

I think Hunter Killer was looking at 15, but has now dropped to 10.  action movies might have timed out by then?  Halloween should be WOM immune so I don't see where Hunter Killer becomes first choice material at the ticket window over the rest of the holdovers.  Who knows, I stay away from TV advertisements so I barely saw a glimpse of Halloween promotion.  Somehow I've dodged a lot of tv spots for 6 months.  

Is Hunter Killer promoting strong?  Any advertising tv commercial #s??

14 minutes ago, gravestonedt said:

no, I'm saying Venom, Star/Born and Venom are to be one-hit wonders, and like Jurassic World, monster of the week X-files episodes whereas Halloween  8 will be on AMC for decades to come.

I think Hunter Killer was looking at 15, but has now dropped to 10.  action movies might have timed out by then?  Halloween should be WOM immune so I don't see where Hunter Killer becomes first choice material at the ticket window over the rest of the holdovers.  Who knows, I stay away from TV advertisements so I barely saw a glimpse of Halloween promotion.  Somehow I've dodged a lot of tv spots for 6 months.  

Hunter Killer was never going to be #1. 

23 minutes ago, gravestonedt said:

I watch quite a bit of TV and I haven't seen a single promo for Hunter Killer.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, gravestonedt said:

initial trailers had Expendables-like action.  maybe it was an overall showcase, or just bad scheduling, but I think it could have broke 20 opening weekend.

Even if it didn’t have competition everything about it screams 10-15M OW. Heck Geostorm with a bigger cast, studio, budget, and promotion still only got over 13M.  TBH it looks very DTV anyway. 

Edited by Rman823

3 hours ago, gravestonedt said:

What exactly is a "one hit wonder" movie?  How are Venom & ASIB considered one hit wonders?  I thought only music had one hit wonders.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Catty said:

What exactly is a "one hit wonder" movie?  How are Venom & ASIB considered one hit wonders?  I thought only music had one hit wonders.

you can have a one hit wonder director like neill blomkamp i guess. maybe this is it for bradley cooper!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Catty said:

movies that break out big and become forgotten.  sometimes with movies that have partial feminist themes like Halloween, fans will just move away from it or move around it and continue on with different films to watch.  Jumanji was a good one to kill time with and made 400 million against Last Jedi's 620.  I expect there to be some one hit wonders this December to fill in time with

1 hour ago, Catty said:

I think what he’s trying to say is he's drunk :Venom:

Edited by VENOM
  • Haha 1

I think a casual Halloween fan should be capable of drifting into Halloween part 11 pretty wasted and be able to access what is going on from memory.  From personal experience, Star Wars films are always easy to just drop in on.  It is like the plot is hardwired into the brain.  

the new Halloween seemed to be more like the Zombie ones

Edited by gravestonedt

Halloween was adequate. Such a bizarre film to open to 80m. It felt really small and honestly like a movie mostly for horror nerds. Great callbacks, some really awesome Friday the 13th level crazy kills, and a nice tight 105 minutes. Maybe all the background information I know about the production colored my perspective, but it definitely did feel like a movie shot for under 20 min. The theater I was in was packed and seemed to enjoy it. Jokes didn't seem to land very well though.