WrathOfHan

Gladiator 2 | November 22, 2024 | DENZEL IS REUNITING WITH RIDLEY?!

26 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

this doesnt scream best picture contender, where did the "oscar hype" even come from? 

It never was best picture winner contender, but nominatian is still a possibility.

Should I remind everyone that the first movie has 80%/7.4 on RT (75%/7.1 from top critics)? It wasn't  praised as masterpiece by critics.

Edited by cinema pal
  • Like 1

The worst I am reading is that is that is a solid watch but maybe a little underwhelming  and that is only a few reactions. Most of the reactions seem to be very positive and in a weak year for best picture contenders it probably will get a best pic nom and denzel might be the front runner for Best Supporting actor. This does not sound like another Napoleon.

• Like 1

The reactions have a slightly polarizing vibe

There’s quite a few really mixed, but the positive ones are extremelly excited 

If i would bet, probably 80’s on RT and high 60’s on MC. Which is obviously good enough for a breakout on box office and even award nominations if the industry have good will towards it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Elessar said:

What would we all do without @TomThomas keeping our expectations in check...

I want more reliable and coherent reactions, outside "decent, but unnecessary" one everything else is word salad that says nothing outside Denzel praise. Scott Mantz praises everything. I'll wait for reviews.

25 minutes ago, Mad Max007 said:

70-80% RT is a win.

Only if audience reception is much better. First Gladiator wasn't exactly critics darling, but it resonated very strongly with audiences. This thing needs 3.5-4+ multi on top of high end opening to make its money back and be in awards conversations outside Denzel and costumes. I think what makes or breaks this movie is whether it has heart like the first one. Maverick had terrific action, but it was also very emotional, action alone wouldn't propel it to 7 multi. Blockbusters with very strong legs usually have strong emotional core.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

High 60s or mid 70s doesn't matter, it should appeal to audiences first and foremost. I just scrolled through reactions and a lot complain about lack of heart or iconic imagery the original had. That's not good if the movie aspires to make its ridiculous budget back and above the line nominations, but we'll see.

MadMax007, take it easy, sweatheart, maybe it'll do well, I actually bet it'll do better than initial predictions, but not because reactions are super positive (only some of them are).

Edited by Firepower