Eric Furiosa

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse l June 2 2023 | Animators deserve better

23 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Where are you in previews/IM? Right now thinking about 17ish in previews with higher admits than Guardians/QM but lower ATP due to summer and more kids tickets. 

SV (IMO) exists in this weird nebulous place where it’s not really an animated movie, nor a true CBM, but also expecting it to hit well with the younger Black & Hispanic audiences (like Fast X/JWD/BA), which tends to help produce a better walk-up rate and weekend heavy (higher IM) opening 

That gets me to roughly $18M & 7x (ish), somewhere in the middle of a summer CBM (~6x) and true backloaded weekend film like JWD (8x)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M37 said:

I’m closer to the $110 than the $150 … but not my much, around $125M for OW presbroy

And legging out somewhere between JWD (2x Oweek) and Minions 2 (2.25x OWeek) topping GOTG3, in a battle probably with Mermaid for summer title (edge LM)

From sheer acceleration not at % I am expecting this to pull in a minions. Let us wait and see. Starting tomorrow I will track Friday daily to get pace. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M37 said:

expecting it to hit well with the younger Black & Hispanic audiences (like Fast X/JWD/BA),

If there's any indication after correlation with recent titles this is tracking to be second biggest opener of the year in Mexico

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

If there's any indication after correlation with recent titles this is tracking to be second biggest opener of the year in Mexico

It very much is 😉

Any film that draws in Hispanic viewers, particularly families (like Mario, Minions, Spidey - both NWH and now SV) is more likely to explode past projections, because they are collectively one of the most reliable (especially post-pandemic) yet significantly under-tracked audiences in the domestic market 

And SV is really the only title on the summer slate that IMO fully checks that box (which is why I’ve been optimistic about it’s potential for quite a while)

• Heart 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

The way people said SM2 was the peak of the franchise, then said it was ItSV, then NWH, and now AtSV.

I love Spidey so much 

jerry crying Blank Template - Imgflip

8 hours ago, JustLurking said:

NWH is closer to the bottom than the top

No Way Home is my favorite Spider-Man film of all time. It could change in less than one week though.

So with Across likely to be the Shrek 2 of the 2020s, I’m pretty sure after Beyond, we get the spin-offs. Totally betting that Spider-Gwen, Spider-Woman and Silk movie is going to be fast tracked for 2027.

7 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

wait who told you batman is most popular superhero?

At the height of good twenty years between the Batman ‘89 era and the TDK trilogy, he was. Today I’d argue that post belongs to Spider-Man and Iron Man. 

2 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

At the height of good twenty years between the Batman ‘89 era and the TDK trilogy, he was. Today I’d argue that post belongs to Spider-Man and Iron Man. 

I mean, the original Spider-Man trilogy happened in that time period

I think those 3 can all claim some period of top billing since 1989, and right now Spidey wears the belt

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

I wouldn't say Iron Man. It's RDJ's portrayal which made that character's MCU version huge, he doesn't have the enduring fanbase for the character across iterations.

• Like 2

Just now, Menor Reborn said:

I wouldn't say Iron Man. It's RDJ's portrayal which made that character's MCU version huge, he doesn't have the enduring fanbase for the character across iterations.

RDJ IS Tony Stark. RDJ IS Iron Man. They are now one and the same, just like one hell lot of the traits that Christopher Reeve and Donner used in Superman are part of the character to this day. RDJ changed who Iron Man is forever. Just like Reeve did back then. I thought like you ten years ago. Then Infinity War and Endgame happened. When it comes to brand recognition and importance worldwide, Iron Man and to a lesser extent Captain America have crossed the threshold. They now belong in the same pantheon as Spider-Man, Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. If we look at them with how we used to see them before the MCU I completely understand where you are coming from. Things have changed. 

I kind of feel like it’s still Iron Man, but in a very different way than it was ever Bat or Spidey. And my guess is that spidey will take it soon, after say SM4 and beyond or possible just after across. Perhaps Batman will take the top spot again around time of battinson3 or B&B2 or whatever. Or may be some as yet unexpected contender.