Eric the IF

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse l June 2 2023 | Animators deserve better

I'm surprised there wasn't a plot leak of any kind for this over these past couple of years. Really unusual for a Marvel movie. Especially since this is an Infinity War-style part 1.

Anyway, with Little Mermaid being a dud overseas and with many summer tentpoles this year either having hard ceilings or being pummelled by a lack of space, I'm starting to think this movie will come out on top this summer. It has everything going for it: amazing early word of mouth, effective marketing and no real competition. This and Guardians 3 are neck and neck for me as of now.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, M37 said:

I'm hesitant flat project it because it may play more like a CBM, and the list of those that to got 3x OW is incredibly small. With that said, being more family friendly and expected good WOM, with some competition but (apparently) not a true gauntlet following it, is certainly quite possible

I'm still on board with it outgrossing GOTG3 (which would probably mean winning summer), but its not at all a sure thing

In good news, almost every recent Spidey did go 3x:)...but if this blows up this weekend (into like $175M, b/c why think small), then yeah, I'd be leery of 3x b/c I just see a total DOM box office and over $525M might be a bit much:)...so open number will affect legs multiplier b/c it has to...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm surprised there wasn't a plot leak of any kind for this over these past couple of years. Really unusual for a Marvel movie. Especially since this is an Infinity War-style part 1.

Anyway, with Little Mermaid being a dud overseas and with many summer tentpoles this year either having hard ceilings or being pummelled by a lack of space, I'm starting to think this movie will come out on top this summer. It has everything going for it: amazing early word of mouth, effective marketing and no real competition. This and Guardians 3 are neck and neck for me as of now.

Glad to have another joiner to the bandwagon - the wagon has plenty of room if folks want to join for the summer winner (as does the club:)!

13 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

It's easy to prevent leaks when an entire movie is being made on computers.

The only two movies I've seen in theaters this year have been Knock at the Cabin and Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. So I may carry a curse when it comes to the box office. Spider-Verse will be the next movie I see, so hopefully that curse is broken. Otherwise, you all know who to blame if it inexplicably does poorly. (Of course, this is luckily a much surer bet than the aforementioned two movies.)

• Haha 1

So I just rewatched Into the Spider-Verse and it’s yeah, effing brilliant. So good. But I really need to step up with my extras game, I just realized that there is a lot of extras I’ve never watched, I just found out that there is a Spider-Ham short at the beginning of the Alternate Universe mode that I had absolute no idea that even existed. I won’t be watching now so I don’t get everything mumble up for Across the Spider-Verse tomorrow, but I’m going to have to go with a through rewatch of this whenever I get time to do it again.

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

So I just rewatched Into the Spider-Verse and it’s yeah, effing brilliant. So good. But I really need to step up with my extras game, I just realized that there is a lot of extras I’ve never watched, I just found out that there is a Spider-Ham short at the beginning of the Alternate Universe mode that I had absolute no idea that even existed. I won’t be watching now so I don’t get everything mumble up for Across the Spider-Verse tomorrow, but I’m going to have to go with a through rewatch of this whenever I get time to do it again.

I always loved the Comic Book Code seal of approval you got at the very beginnning, showed they were not afrad to take chances, since that joke would go over the head of many in the audience not familiar with the history of Comic Books, or from 1955 throught the early 70's when it began to fall apart, there was a censorship group for mainstream comic books.

• Like 1