Eric Loves Rey

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse l June 2 2023 | Animators deserve better

I will not be surprised if this is just as good or even better than the first. Have a movie series ever gotten A+ CS back to back? I know two Avengers movies has it but it isn´t back to back. Not saying it will get that but wouldn´t surprise me.

Edited by thajdikt

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Another Quicksilver situation. We’re soon gonna find out how this character is split between Marvel and Sony. The lack of the “Spider-Woman” name in the promos is the first thing.

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

Been chatting with the managers at my old theatre. Yup, this is going to be BIG, and theaters are expecting it to be. Between this, Mermaid, and Flash opening back to back to back, this is basically May 2007 all over again. But this time, it seems like the movies themselves will deliver quality wise.

I don't think it's comparable. The level of hype for the May 2007 trio was on a completely different level.

10 hours ago, JWR said:

Doubtful. If the first got a PG, I don't see why this wouldn't. 

My gut feeling agrees, but at the same time, I feel like there's a non-zero chance it could be PG-13. The animation director has talked about how this movie is supposedly "not a kids' movie" (whatever that's supposed to mean), and the trailers seem less comedic than those for the first movie. 

10 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

and the trailers seem less comedic than those for the first movie. 

heh

the only trailer I really liked was the last one and that's because the jokes really landed

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

Just my view... Extremely excited for this one but it doesn't look anywhere near as fresh as the first. I don't expect it to be as well received. Not to mention, multiverse stuff was super fresh when the first dropped. Now, it's kinda played out. Flash will have freshness because Keaton is back and DC hasn't done it yet but I wonder if that style of storytelling will grow pretty tired here soon.

12 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Just my view... Extremely excited for this one but it doesn't look anywhere near as fresh as the first. I don't expect it to be as well received. Not to mention, multiverse stuff was super fresh when the first dropped. Now, it's kinda played out. Flash will have freshness because Keaton is back and DC hasn't done it yet but I wonder if that style of storytelling will grow pretty tired here soon.

This 100% going to be well received. Great writers and Directors working on this.  Plus like the first one this will show those amateurs how you make a real multiverse film. 

Edited by PrinceRico

52 minutes ago, PrinceRico said:

This 100% going to be well received. Great writers and Directors working on this.  Plus like the first one this will show those amateurs how you make a real multiverse film. 

Reread my post... I never said it wouldn't be well received. I said it wouldn't be as well received as the first... Maybe I didn't make that clear enough.

Into the Spider-Verse is one of the most critically acclaimed animated and/or superhero movies this century. Into also has insanely high scores on Letterboxd, IMDB, etc. I absolutely believe Across the Spider-Verse will be well received just not quite as well as the first. And, now that the multiverse concept has now appeared in half a dozen major motion pictures as well as the most recent Best Picture winner at the Academy Awards (Days of Future Past, Into the Spider-Verse, Endgame, No Way Home, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Multiverse of  Madness and, soon, Flash), I don't feel like the concept isn't quite as fresh. I have this movie doing over 300M+ DOM. I expect it to be a big hit and even has an outside shot of winning the summer.

• Like 2

Has to be because of spoilers...  Weird how late that is. But then again Endgame and NWH had late social/reviews so it´s not unheard of that a movie that gets great reviews keeps it so late if there are spoilers to hide. On the fun side I´m watching this on the 31th so I will be able to avoid spoilers easily.

On 5/15/2023 at 3:44 AM, JohnnyGossamer said:

The first has a style that n other animated film had before. Doing a repeat of tha

coming up with another really fresh new style....t is pretty much impossible Even Orson Wells never quite repeated the sucess of "Citizen Kane".. I am just looking for a good movie.

Edited by dudalb

35 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think it going to do well at the box office, but fall short of blockbuster territory. I see it doing maybe a little better then theoriginal, but not that much better. won't win the summer.

Lol the original did 193

total. This is already on course based on pre sales and tracking to open to 100+ it’s opening weekend alone. It will half have very very very awful legs for it to barely pass the first one.

Edited by PrinceRico

4 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

This is weirdly late, i guess maybe It’s because of spoilers since everyone said the movie is very good 

Dont social reactions usually drop before critic reviews?

48 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The first has a style that n other animated film had before. Doing a repeat of tha

coming up with another really fresh new style....t is pretty much impossible Even Orson Wells never quite repeated the sucess of "Citizen Kane".. I am just looking for a good movie.

The first Verse movie definitely made an impact. Just look at Puss 2, new TMNT animated, and Wish copying the animated style. This is great.

Toy Story came out 28 years ago, time for studios to try a new look.