That One Girl

Dec 21-23 Weekend Thread | Sat#'s (Asgard pg 60) - Aqua 21.8, MPR 8.8, BB 7.2, SMSV 6.9, Mule 3.8 | Discuss Pitbull's musical work here

Just now, RealLyre said:

600M worldwide on a 200M budget.. def profitable :thinking:

200M x 2.5 = 500M to break even. It did. It's now making profit but clearly not as much as WB hoped. still, profit is profit. perhaps they scale down the budget and try to be more like Bumblebee? 

Just now, Valonqar said:

200M x 2.5 = 500M to break even. It did. It's now making profit but clearly not as much as WB hoped. still, profit is profit. perhaps they scale down the budget and try to be more like Bumblebee? 

Bumblebee is basically a total reboot of the Transformers series. I’d be interested in finding out how the flopping of The Last Knight caused the filmmakers to do massive rewrites because it was reported to be a prequel to the Bay movies when it was first announced.

So, everyone keeps posting that they thought Solo and MP2 should switch places...but I think that was the wrong swap...

Looking back, it seems MP2 and Ralph should have swapped.  This Christmas, Ralph could have been the "it" animation for the holiday while MP2 might have benefited both by being the sole "Thanksgiving" big release, and all the dead weeks for seniors and adults to enjoy before the Christmas build up.

Instead, Ralph has lost half its screens while being perpetually overshadowed by Grinch...and MP2 has just been caught in the wash of a so far underperforming Christmas...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, everyone keeps posting that they thought Solo and MP2 should switch places...but I think that was the wrong swap...

Looking back, it seems MP2 and Ralph should have swapped.  This Christmas, Ralph could have been the "it" animation for the holiday while MP2 might have benefited both by being the sole "Thanksgiving" big release, and all the dead weeks for seniors and adults to enjoy before the Christmas build up.

Instead, Ralph has lost half its screens while being perpetually overshadowed by Grinch...and MP2 has just been caught in the wash of a so far underperforming Christmas...

They wanted Mary Poppins around Christmas because that’s become the place to open a musical after the successes of Les Miserables, Into the Woods, La La Land, and The Greatest Showman within the last couple of years.

Edited by filmlover

MP release date is good. It doesn't have much competition. It just isn't connecting with the public. It would have failed wherever it opened. it's just too posh for today's audience

Edited by Alli
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They wanted Mary Poppins around Christmas because that’s become the place to open a musical after the successes of Les Miserables, Into the Woods, La La Land, and The Greatest Showman within the last couple of years.

But MP2, while a musical, isn't really like those kinds of musicals...and TGS DOM box office was probably never the goal for this movie, not with a $130M budget...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

But MP2, while a musical, isn't really those kinds of musicals...and TGS DOM box office was probably never the goal for this movie, not with a $130M budget...

I’ve seen Mary Poppins Returns and it’s definitely a full-blown musical. I wish it was posting stronger returns so far because it’s a really charming movie of the kind that Disney sadly doesn’t make anymore.

Just now, filmlover said:

I’ve seen Mary Poppins Returns and it’s definitely a full-blown musical. I wish it was posting stronger returns so far because it’s a really charming movie of the kind that Disney sadly doesn’t make anymore.

Yes, but MP2 is a musical that can draw 2 to 102...Les Miserables, less so...that was my point (I should have been clearer)...it should be drawing their BO +...and it's gonna struggle to their box office...

1 minute ago, boyamama said:

u forgot the promotional budget....total X 3 = break even...so far is a bit loss for WB......

You forgot ancillaries.

Unless this  movie has a huge participation bonus back end like MIB3 then it will make money for WB.  Rather nice money - especially since the China portion ($57,781,863 ) isn't that large.

The concern is going forward and reversing any similar downward slide for the upcoming movies.

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yes, but MP2 is a musical that can draw 2 to 102...Les Miserables, less so...that was my point (I should have been clearer)...it should be drawing their BO +...and it's gonna struggle to their box office...

Way too early to be calling legs on a holiday movie release.

To put holiday legs in perspective - the reviled Assassin's Creed did 5.3x