That One Girl

Dec 21-23 Weekend Thread | Sat#'s (Asgard pg 60) - Aqua 21.8, MPR 8.8, BB 7.2, SMSV 6.9, Mule 3.8 | Discuss Pitbull's musical work here

18 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Honestly I think there's a few people in here trying to make the Aquaman numbers seem "bad"  or "underwhelming"  to offset the horrible Floppins numbers. That's the real story here...  

Tbh I think that the Chinese performance of the movie + the overall anticipation of how big a movie as huge and hugely GA-friendly like this can perform in Christmas, especially considering what the Star Wars movies and Jumanji have made, have definitely skewed expectations. Especially since Aquaman seems a bit on the frontloaded side as far as OW goes (though it will naturally outleg similar openers like Ant-Man 2, Venom, Doctor Strange or even Justice League). I don't think anyone should dismiss these numbers as bad or disappointing, but ultimately, it's hard to deny they could be better given the circumstances.

But then again, compared to Mary Poppins, WB is actually laughing all the way to the bank; especially with the crazy good OS run of the film that could lead this from high 800's to 900.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I think Marwen is flopping because the marketing didn't make it clear that this was an open invitation to Marwen.  They made it appear as if it was an invite-only event, when in reality everyone was allowed into Marwen.

I think they all chose to get Muled instead

I also don't think Ralph or Poppins would've benefited much from a swap. Ralph being a boy-centric film still would've had to deal with three other boy-skewing genre movies, and Poppins, at least theoretically, would've had the fantasy tentpole competition from Fantastic Beasts. Ultimately I think the Poppins is just more square looking to modern audiences compared to other Disney ventures, and expectations were always unrealistic for it, whether they were from Disney themselves or from box office observers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

I also don't think Ralph or Poppins would've benefited much from a swap. Ralph being a boy-centric film still would've had to deal with three other boy-skewing genre movies, and Poppins, at least theoretically, would've had the fantasy tentpole competition from Fantastic Beasts. Ultimately I think the Poppins is just more square looking to modern audiences compared to other Disney ventures, and expectations were always unrealistic for it, whether they were from Disney themselves or from box office observers.

isn't ralph also under perform too?..with that glowing RT score and disney name......i think what lack about mary is current music that can enter music chart,their music is so boring and outdate......

29 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Honestly I think there's a few people in here trying to make the Aquaman numbers seem "bad"  or "underwhelming"  to offset the horrible Floppins numbers. That's the real story here...  

for several months we were hearing about MPR becoming #1 with 400M to Aquaman's 250-300M if lucky, how MPR was going to blow up, sure fire hit, legs will take it way above Aquaman. Granted, legs taking a competing movie over AQM is a mantra applied to some other December movies but not nearly on the level of MPR hype pre-Black Wednesday (when all went crashing down).  

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, boyamama said:

isn't ralph also under perform too?..with that glowing RT score and disney name......i think what lack about mary is current music that can enter music chart,their music is so boring and outdate......

Its average rating was still relatively low compared to most recent WDA movies. I think Wreck-It Ralph is somewhat like a superhero franchise now. Its audience is limited to the people who loved the first movie and everyone else won't be interested no matter how good they say it is.

• Thanks 1

Expansion plans: https://deadline.com/2018/12/cold-war-on-the-basis-of-sex-stan-ollie-destroyer-specialty-preview-1202525006/

On the Basis of Sex: 1,200-1,500 theaters January 11

Cold War: Expanding in NY January 4, LA January 11, Top 6 markets January 18, WOM will expand from there

Stan and Ollie: "2019" (very helpful Sony)

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Giesi said:

Let’s face it, December sucks and is boring without a new Star Wars episode.

therein lies SW problem. Only episodes have must-see effect on the audience. spin-offs don't. RO had curiosity factor and was riding on SW revival started by TFA but it dropped considerably from TFA which should have alerted the studio that maybe the concept of spin-offs wasn't as lucrative as originally thought (and lets not forget that it cost as much as TFA to make but with half the boxoffice). Solo simply wasn't a movie worth catching in cinemas because it had no ties to the episodes and was basically inessential. It's like Ant Man franchise that can't shake off palate cleanser image which prevents it from blowing up, except that AM still stays in profitability range due to shared universe. Solo shared nothing. it was a side story completely separate from Episodes (most importantly current episodes) and therefore who the hell cares? 

Edited by Valonqar

Aquaman is not frontroads in OS markets.The presale is less than any other CBM this year.even behind Antman.The multi is Great.Aquaman is not famous like superman or Batman.I don't know how domestic work.It's the first superhero in December Since superman(1978)let's see.

Edited by SliverS

30 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

why did i change my aquaman predict from 70M to 76M :kitschjob: 

It could still get around 76 mil if you include the previews from before Thursday and that counts I guess.

On a side note, I heard walkups were really good for Aquaman. It could have really good legs here and reach 300 mil. The movie is having really good legs in most OS markets. The movie is looking to blow up in SK too after weak presales.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, boyamama said:

24 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Its average rating was still relatively low compared to most recent WDA movies. I think Wreck-It Ralph is somewhat like a superhero franchise now. Its audience is limited to the people who loved the first movie and everyone else won't be interested no matter how good they say it is.

I mean, the movie just isn't that good. For once I think the audience score on RT is genuine. It isn't very funny and the emotion is fairly average. More importantly, my little brother was very bored during most of it save for the Princess Part. I'm not surprised it isn't leggin that well. 

15 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It could still get around 76 mil if you include the previews from before Thursday and that counts I guess.

On a side note, I heard walkups were really good for Aquaman. It could have really good legs here and reach 300 mil. The movie is having really good legs in most OS markets. The movie is looking to blow up in SK too after weak presales.

WB didn't roll the early previews from Sat and Wed into Friday so they won't be part of o/w (and really shouldn't be) for the game