AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

THG: MOCKINGJAY II might take the female auds away.

THE MARTIAN AND MIDNIGHT SPECIAL are both "deep" kind of films I guess and might also steal the adult auds who usually go to Pixar movies.

No?

It'll have long legs, because absolutly nothing in December outside of Star Wars.

Hotel Transylvania didnt go on a journey and I found that quite enjoyable. I wouldnt call Incredibles or Toy Story 3 or Monsters Inc going on journies, and theyre some of Pixars best. Shrek 2 wasnt, it was all about him meeting her parents, and neither was DM.

Shrek, Incredibles, and Monsters had me in awe as a child. You dont have to go on a jounrey to tap into fullfilment, and Movie Man its obviously way more noticable in this medium. Hangover 2 wasnt a journey in the same way Croods was.

But like I said, it's not necessarily a bad thing, most of these movies are good as hell, just a trope that I noticed that just seems a little cliche at this point, especially with Pixar because they do it the most. (Again just my opinion and I dont mean that to slight Pixar so dont jump on me).

I think there's only 12 or so different archetypes you can tell. With some things altered but there's really only 12 different stories or so.

I know John Lithgow and Frances McDormand (along with Lucas Neff) have remained on board, but I'm curious if NPH, Hader or Greer were taken out. I hope they haven't... Hader is already proving to be great in IO and NPH and Greer would be interesting to see in a Pixar movie.

Remember that s the rare Pixar movie that had a lot of problems behind the scene, they changed the release date and the director, not sure ...

But Inside Out has already the Oscar in the can so ...

• Like 1

It's not exactly rare anymore, unfortunately. In fact at this stage it's quite a feat that Inside Out didn't have any public drama. Still, I wouldn't rule out this film's potential. Some Pixarians are really hyping it up on Twitter

It's not exactly rare anymore, unfortunately. In fact at this stage it's quite a feat that Inside Out didn't have any public drama. Still, I wouldn't rule out this film's potential. Some Pixarians are really hyping it up on Twitter

Hugh, after this year, Pixar is all sequels shareholders hell.

Best-case scenario is they put Unkrich's Day of the Dead film in fall 2017 and Mark Andrews' sci-fi movie in summer 2018, with Cars or Incredibles in the fall of that year. 

and when are they starting with an Universium where all there main characters assemble together to fight a common enemy?

Best-case scenario is they put Unkrich's Day of the Dead film in fall 2017 and Mark Andrews' sci-fi movie in summer 2018, with Cars or Incredibles in the fall of that year.

The two film schedule seems pretty hectic, and I think the Sci-Fi film is likely to get the boot. It seems like Dean Wellins' Sci-Fi at WDAS is facing the same thing, getting pushed back for other projects.

Shame, though, as a major animated sci-fi from a studio like Disney or Pixar would be killer.

• Like 1

I thought Thomas Newman was doing the score? 

Anyways: http://variety.com/2015/film/news/cannes-john-lasseter-on-secrets-of-toy-story-4-the-good-dinosaur-and-disneypixar-slate-1201501427/

The Good Dinosaur (Pixar)

The early clips from this movie played like a cross between “Tarzan” and “Lilo & Stitch.” The story centers on Arlo (Lucas Neff), an Apatosaurus, who after losing his father in a tragic accident, falls into a river, gets knocked out by a rock and finds himself in a land far away. As he makes the trek back to home to the Clawed-Tooth Mountains, he befriends a human cave-boy named Spot. “This is a boy and a dog story, but the roles are reversed,” Lasseter said. “Arlo, the dinosaur, is the boy in the story and Spot is the dog”—meaning Arlo stands upright and speaks, while Spot travels on his hands and feet and grunts.

There will be a supporting cast of dinosaurs straight out of “Jurassic Park” (only friendlier). “We’re putting our own unique Pixar spin on the dinosaur world,” Lasseter said, as he showed images of a trio of T-Rexes, Pterodactyl and a shaggy Velociraptor. “The feathers on the Veliraptor look like the haircuts of famous football players,” Lasseter joked.

Lasseter talked up the visuals that serve as the backdrop of the story. In one clip he showed, Arlo and Spot chase fireflies in a forest, which looks more real than any scene from a Pixar production. “It’s unlike anything we’ve had before,” Lasseter said. “The level of believability we’re striving for in this film is going to be breathtaking.”

Release date: No. 25, 2015
Grade: A-

Talking up the visuals over the story is never a good sign.

• Like 1