AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

this'll be only the second pixar after cars 2 that I skip cinemas for. just can't muster the interest.

Only Pixar's I've seen in cinema are Incredibles, Cars, Toy Story 3 and Inside Out.

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

Well, it's even lower than Tangled. That's not good for a Pixar film.

Granted, perhaps Thanksgiving weeks are more complicated than that. Last time it landed on the 26th most of the movies had pretty good increases. But it definitely needs to get up into the double digits if it has any hope of staying in the $200 mil club.

It doesn't make a difference with Thanksgiving.

Tracking lied to yall. Did anyone honestly believe this was doing $90M+? I cant speak for everyone, but I saw virtually no marketing on TV, social media, online, or real life during October.

And then when I finally saw marketing, the story was never made clear. Its obviously about a kid and a dinosaur, but whats the catch? Too much emphasis was put in visuals and not story. That alone was a red flag for me. 

• Like 2

Frankly, I though the trailers were lackluster,and  it looked a lot like Pixar was playing "me,too" with the Ice Age franchise.

Pixar will not lose money on this, but it won't be a big hit either. Ain't gonna come close to "Inside Out".

Edited by dudalb

8 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

this'll be only the second pixar after cars 2 that I skip cinemas for. just can't muster the interest.

Same here. Frankly, it looks a little too much like Pixar trying to jump onto the "Ice Age" bandwagon.

Ah well, they can't complain overall this year, with the huge success of Inside OUt.

4 hours ago, jandrew said:

Tracking lied to yall. Did anyone honestly believe this was doing $90M+? I cant speak for everyone, but I saw virtually no marketing on TV, social media, online, or real life during October.

And then when I finally saw marketing, the story was never made clear. Its obviously about a kid and a dinosaur, but whats the catch? Too much emphasis was put in visuals and not story. That alone was a red flag for me. 

I've been looking forward to it for a while but I didn't expect it to get near Inside Out. Past couple weeks I've seen comparatively low awareness for it, and expected ~60M OW (not sure how that would translate to 5day, I forgot it was opening on a wednesday)

9 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

You should really reconsider. There has never been a Pixar film more worth seeing on the big screen (or more worth 3d). Not by a long shot. As I said, it would have been incredible if this could have been IMAX. 

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Same here. Frankly, it looks a little too much like Pixar trying to jump onto the "Ice Age" bandwagon.

Ah well, they can't complain overall this year, with the huge success of Inside OUt.

I definitely would not compare it to Ice Age, it's about as similar to Ice Age as Shark Tale is to Finding Nemo.

Also, I'd say this movie is getting a lot of undeserved backlash.  If it had been WDAS that made the film instead of Pixar it would have gotten the same or better critical praise than Big Hero 6, Wreck-It Ralph, and Frozen.  It's also a heck of a lot better than Cars 1 and 2, Brave, and Monsters University.  It's on about a Bug's Life or Monster's Inc. level of Pixar quality.

The narrative is rather simple, but everything is told through the visuals, and those are beautiful.  Visually, it is the best animated film I have probably seen.  It's absolutely gorgeous, and I didn't find the cartoonish characters to be that much of a clash to the photo-realistic environment.  There's a lot of simple heart in the movie, and there's one particular heart-wrenching scene that would have made me tear up if the theater wasn't filled with obnoxious screaming children.  It honestly reminds me more of a classic disney film than a Pixar film, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

If you go in expecting an animated film for adults that kids can enjoy as well (Inside Out) then you'll be very disappointed.  It's not Inside Out, Up, Wall-E, or Finding Nemo in those terms.  But it's a lot of fun, and tonally feels very down to earth.  There's some very funny parts, but the film is all simplicity, heart, visuals, and an adventure home.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

You should really reconsider. There has never been a Pixar film more worth seeing on the big screen (or more worth 3d). Not by a long shot. As I said, it would have been incredible if this could have been IMAX. 

eh. I doubt I'll regret it. end of the year there's always too many movies I wanna catch, gotta pick the right ones.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

eh. I doubt I'll regret it. end of the year there's always too many movies I wanna catch, gotta pick the right ones.

All I'm saying is there's probably no film out right now that is more deserving of the big screen. TGD is one of those best in the theater movies we don't always get these days. And if you like Pixar I really can't see how you wouldn't at least moderately enjoy it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

All I'm saying is there's probably no film out right now that is more deserving of the big screen. TGD is one of those best in the theater movies we don't always get these days. And if you like Pixar I really can't see how you wouldn't at least moderately enjoy it. 

The best film to see on the big screen atm is THE DRESSMAKER, its camera techniques make you feel like you're living in its little town. 

15 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'd definitely agree.  It's a beautiful film, I'd give it the Best VFX award over any of these big tentpoles competing for it.

• Like 1

The fact that it is below MU, Brave, and Cars on RT in average rating is legitimately frustrating me. There is simply no objective way it isn't better than those. Critics are absolutely being harsh for whatever reason.  It is interesting too, because critics were also unfairly harsh on Ice Age and The Croods, which I thought both deserved significantly better reviews. I am beginning to think they have some sort of weird vendetta against animated films with this kind of theme. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The fact that it is below MU, Brave, and Cars on RT in average rating is legitimately frustrating me. There is simply no objective way it isn't better than those. Critics are absolutely being harsh for whatever reason.  It is interesting too, because critics were also unfairly harsh on Ice Age and The Croods, which I thought both deserved significantly better reviews. I am beginning to think they have some sort of weird vendetta against animated films with this kind of theme. 

I'm not huge on the Croods or Ice Age, but The Good Dinosaur is miles better than those three Pixar movies.  

• Like 1