Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

Watched the first one recently. It’s obviously miles away from what the series would become but it still holds up as an old-school, caustic spy thriller. The remarkable  thing about it is how normally it treats Cruise The Movie Star: his introduction is done with a flat medium-long shot showing him sitting at a table with the others getting a briefing. No fanfare at all and makes no indication he’s the lead. 

Edited by Hatebox

It's kinda funny how this franchise has sold itself on "all practical" and "no CGI" so well that now any hint of VFX work is a much bigger deal than it would be for other movie series. 

Especially since (and this is fairly well known within the industry) these movies use a TON of CGI. 

49 minutes ago, TerwillikerInst said:

It's kinda funny how this franchise has sold itself on "all practical" and "no CGI" so well that now any hint of VFX work is a much bigger deal than it would be for other movie series. 

Especially since (and this is fairly well known within the industry) these movies use a TON of CGI. 

the train scene is bad cgi  , which is sad cause they destroyed a real train

• Thanks 1

This looks pretty good.. Too bad Covid threw a monkey wrench on getting this out sooner cause it's been what?? Around 5 years since the last one?? Either way, so long as Tom Cruise is in good enough shape to keep doing this, I'm sold on it.. The WORST Mission IMPOSSIBLE?? The 2nd movie.. That was so Godawful, even Tom Cruise sensed my hatred for it and turned things around for the better.. John Woo was simply the wrong filmmaker for that movie..

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Paramount should move this to July 7. The number one movie on that weekend will be below 30M.

This 100%.. I turn 57 that day and it would be a great birthday outing

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Paramount should move this to July 7. The number one movie on that weekend will be below 30M.

I ask again. If they move it to July 7 can it get the IMAX screens or has Indy got them per the contract?

38 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I ask again. If they move it to July 7 can it get the IMAX screens or has Indy got them per the contract?

This will not be shown on anything less than IMAX

MI2 is considered the worst one and it is definitely the most flawed one, but still offers a helluva ride. It also has by far the best MI soundtrack.

My personal order is:

1 FALLOUT (nearly best in everything)

2 GHOST PROTOCOL (best opening)

3 MI (best suspense)

4 ROGUE NATION (best ensemble)

5 MI2 (best soundtrack)

6 MI3 (best villain though)

Edited by The Dark Alfred

Ilse getting killed off in Part 1 would make sense although I think it'd be more personal for Ethan if it was Benji or Luther. 

I'm still thinking that the villains of DR Part 1 are pawns for a bigger villain that will be revealed at the end.

37 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Ilse getting killed off in Part 1 would make sense although I think it'd be more personal for Ethan if it was Benji or Luther. 

I'm still thinking that the villains of DR Part 1 are pawns for a bigger villain that will be revealed at the end.

Ving, Simon and Rebecca are listed in Part 2 according to Wikipedia.

3 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

MI2 is considered the worst one and it is definitely the most flawed one, but still offers a helluva ride. It also has by far the best MI soundtrack.

My personal order is:

1 FALLOUT (nearly best in everything)

2 GHOST PROTOCOL (best opening)

3 MI (best suspense)

4 ROGUE NATION (best ensemble)

5 MI2 (best soundtrack)

6 MI3 (best villain though)

MI3 underrated as hell.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I don't think there are bad films in this franchise. As I said MI2 was flawed but still fun. It's no fluke it was the biggest film of the summer in 2000.  MI3 has the best villain imho. Maybe the best Cruise run as well. 

PSH was incredible in MI3. I just felt more personal stakes at play in that one which rose the tension higher than most of the MI movies do. It doesn't have nearly the crazy stunts like the franchise normally has, but man, that opening and climax were something else.

I do think MI2 is a bad movie that has good parts throughout. The fight sequences were ironically hilarious, the final fight overstayed its welcome, and the script was a mess with all the Scooby Doo reveals. The slo-mo was also overdone. I can see why people can enjoy it, it's just not my cup of tea and feels jarring in comparison to the rest of the MI films.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1