Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

People talk about Maverick giving this a big boost, but is there any other examples of this happening, where a franchise film saw a big boost over its predecessor thanks to an actor appearing in another, unrelated film? The only somewhat example I can think of is Scream VI, who's increase can be in part credited to Jenna Ortega's success with Wednesday. The big difference is that she wasn't widely known before hand while everyone has known who Tom Cruise is for many years. I can't imagine Maverick made him that many new fans who will then follow him into this series. Fallout had only a slight increase over Rogue Nation and I have a hard time seeing the massive increase that some are predicting.

12 minutes ago, kestrel said:

Fallout had only a slight increase over Rogue Nation and I have a hard time seeing the massive increase that some are predicting.

Yep. And an even smaller increase over Ghost Protocol and adjusted for inflation GP>Fallout

If this one does 230-240M i'd be happy.

Edited by Maggie

4 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

These movies are starting to feel like stunt reels. At least 1-4 had some decent-ish plot.

All of them are excellent.

I even enjoyed MI:2

Edited by Halba
  • Like 1

I think the success of TGM definitely helps. Not a huge way, but it surely made folks who loved TGM and haven't seen the latest MI films to check out that films. From that point onward FALLOUT's great WoM will lure newbies into the cinema for DR. Having said that this franchise does have a ceiling, so 100m OW is probably asking for a bit too much. That's too big of a jump from FALLOUT. I think beating SKYFALL's OW is possible. I have it at 85-90m at the moment.

5 hours ago, Maggie said:

Yep. And an even smaller increase over Ghost Protocol and adjusted for inflation GP>Fallout

If this one does 230-240M i'd be happy.

Just based off inflation this should clear your range

11 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

These movies are starting to feel like stunt reels. At least 1-4 had some decent-ish plot.

1,3, 4 are the best of the franchise by far in my opinion. McQ nails the action but outside of Jack Reacher the plot and story when he's writing and directing always feels like one big exposition with stunts in between.

• Like 1

I secretly wish this franchise would flop, so Cruise could do something else. I'm tired of only action. I can't believe he signed up for two in a row. Anyone else feel the same? He's wasting his potential. But maybe he's not being offered anything else...who knows...

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

5 hours ago, Maggie said:

He's wasting his potential. But maybe he's not being offered anything else...who knows...

Or he wants to only be in projects that he has a considerable amount of input/control over. The last movie he was in that was poorly reviewed was The Mummy 2017 (yeah remember that?). A movie that killed a cinematic universe. I imagine after that experience he was like "never again" and went back to stuff that he could do some quality control over.

Edited by clockwork

7 hours ago, Maggie said:

I secretly wish this franchise would flop, so Cruise could do something else. I'm tired of only action. I can't believe he signed up for two in a row. Anyone else feel the same? He's wasting his potential. But maybe he's not being offered anything else...who knows...

Nope. I'm happy this franchise is growing so long the quality is there. It's nlot like the FAST franchise that should have stopped long time ago. FALLOUT was exceptional piece of action. Besides Cruise picks the projects he wants and finds challenging, doesn't need rely on offers at this point in his career. He wants to entertain, so long may it continue. I want to see the EDGE OF TOMORROW/LIVE DIE REPEAT sequel made with Emily Blunt.

9 hours ago, clockwork said:

Or he wants to only be in projects that he has a considerable amount of input/control over. The last movie he was in that was poorly reviewed was The Mummy 2017 (yeah remember that?). A movie that killed a cinematic universe. I imagine after that experience he was like "never again" and went back to stuff that he could do some quality control over.

It was reported that Cruise did have creative control over The Mummy and basically directed it himself: 'The Mummy': How Tom Cruise Took Control of Universal's Flailing Movie - Variety

9 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

It was reported that Cruise did have creative control over The Mummy and basically directed it himself: 'The Mummy': How Tom Cruise Took Control of Universal's Flailing Movie - Variety

No surprise. Actors/producers like Cruise, Diesel, HK star Donnie Yen & Andy Lau are the one who controlled their movie.

The only question is if they really know how to make a good one.

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

That narrative was only spun to keep Kurtzman's career from completely tanking. Cruise has had creative control of all his movies for the past 25 years putting out hit after hit but for some reason this time when it was a stinker he was the problem and not the rookie who had only directed one previous small budget indie.

• Like 1