Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 2 (Title pending) | May 23, 2025 | Christopher McQuarrie to direct

On 6/14/2024 at 7:07 PM, Human said:

It would be quite the story if this is a huge hit hit with at least 1.2 billion.  Granted I think 0.8 billion is the ceiling.  0.65B is likely.

Which means with a 300 Million price tag it will make only a small profit or maybe not even quite break even.

I have seen no convincing argument as to why this should do better then the first part of the film.

And, btw, personal anecdotes are a terrible argument.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

This is still filming? What is going on?

Supposedly something about them filing in a submarine full of technical difficulties.  

It sounds to me like they are trying to be way too ambitious, and they are not good enough to pull it off.

The mistake was making Dead Reckoning into 2 movies. People have gotten sick and tired of this tread with a few exceptions 

Fast and Furious series is going to get hit hard with the whocares stick for Fast X-2 whatever.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

This is still filming? What is going on? Yeah, I know, strikes and all, but they ended back in November, and they were filming before that. 

It is reaching 1963 Cleopatra levels of an out of control budget.

The new  Paramount management is in the same situation Darrly F Zanuck was when he returned to Fox in 1962; one of his biggest jobs was to get the out of control Cleo under control before it wrecked the studio.

In the end, they might have to do what Zanuck did; Simply cut off the money. Tell them you have X dollars left to finish the film, period. If that means scraping some big scenes you have pLanned, so be it the red ink flood has got to stop. It was  drastic but it saved the studio.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

Doesn't strike me as great that this very week, they have been re-filming parts of the arial dogfight/stunt plane sequence first filmed over two years ago and teased at Cinemacon in May 2022 when they showed the first trailer for Dead Reckoning Part 1.

Edited by OncomingStorm93

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Sheesh. Lotta shade in here. Loved 7. Reshoots don't worry me pretty much at all. Got faith in the creatives as they've delivered since pairing up on 5. They'll stitch something impressive together. Can't wait.

I think the doubts are largely about the financial element, not the creative ones. I'd be shocked if the film is less than stellar. I'd be double shocked if it's profitable in theatrical release.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Sheesh. Lotta shade in here. Loved 7. Reshoots don't worry me pretty much at all. Got faith in the creatives as they've delivered since pairing up on 5. They'll stitch something impressive together. Can't wait.

Right there with you. These movies have always had messy turbulent fly by the seat of the pants productions and they always turn out dam good for the most part. Having said that this one does seem like maybe they might be to over their head and lost the plot. Fingers crossed they can pull it off again.

• Like 2

I don't think quality is the issue. The director has been doing a good job with his franchise. The problem is do audience is still care about mission impossible franchise. Looking how the last film performed there's no way this one is going to be profitable.

I imagine this movie being released is going to be required by Tom Cruise before he agrees to Top Gun 3.

Paramount/Skydance will do everything they can to make Cruise happy and to get another film with Maverick. Even if they have to take a dive with this film.

22 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It might not worry you, bu tthe way this picture has gone way,way overbudget has the people at Paramount worried.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

I imagine this movie being released is going to be required by Tom Cruise before he agrees to Top Gun 3.

Paramount/Skydance will do everything they can to make Cruise happy and to get another film with Maverick. Even if they have to take a dive with this film.

Well, they have no choice; the money has been spent.

And, franky, one actor, no matter how big, should dictate how much a studio should spend ona movie. That is just bad business.

• Like 1