Litio

4-day Weekend Official| Alita $33.50M, Lego $27.75m, Isn't Romantic $16.64M, WMW $12.21m, HDD2U $11m

Just now, Mulder said:

This is a decent bit higher but that’s not adjusted for inflation so. 🤔

Having only the Preview numbers can be very misleading. Friday estimates are much more telling. Though Alitas first day is a Thursday so its a full on guessing game anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

do you really think inflation has changed so drastically in the span of less than 2 years?

The margin for Alita and GiTS' previews is so small ((It's basically just 500k)) that yes that small bit of inflation matters.

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

The margin for Alita and GiTS' previews is so small ((It's basically just 500k)) that yes that small bit of inflation matters.

Like to further this for example, according to BoxOfficeMojo with inflation, Skull Island (A movie that came out only a few week before GiTS)'s gross goes from 168 million to 171 million, which is a way bigger amount leap then what'd be required for GiTS' previews with inflation to be over Alita's so.....

200px-Fgog_11m.png

Edited by Mulder

Just now, Mulder said:

Here's a movie that made 1.8M total in 2017:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=thewall2016.htm

adjusting its final gross sees the drastic rise from $1,803,064 to $1,819,200.

• Haha 6

Just now, That One Guy said:

Here's a movie that made 1.8M total in 2017:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=thewall2016.htm

adjusting its final gross sees the drastic rise from $1,803,064 to $1,819,200.

Yeah except for other movies BoxOfficeMojo has it much bigger-

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=legendary2016.htm&adjust_yr=2019&p=.htm

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wolverine2017.htm&adjust_yr=2019&p=.htm

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=powerrangers16.htm&adjust_yr=2019&p=.htm

Yeah I went to check and GiTS' previews with inflation are 2.3 million which is still lower then Alita but only by 100k, so yeah inflation does put GiTS very close to Alita, albeit admittedly Alita's previews did slightly more-

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&adjust_mo=&adjust_yr=2019&id=ghostintheshell2017.htm

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

The only thing knowing what the fan events did is to see if the movie has any bit of frontloadedness to it. The people who saw it Tuesday will have seen it Wednesday imo BUT if that Tuesday number makes up a larger (or smaller) percentage of the Wednesday preview gross, it could give us an idea of whether a movie is going to be front loaded or not. Nothing is set in stone of course but it just gives us an idea. Similar to how we break down the previews to OD ratio to get an idea on a film’s potential frontloadedness throughout a weekend. 

Definitely frontloaded if overseas numbers are any indication.

• ...wtf 1

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Are you actually seriously doing this right now

I mean if someone's trying to act like I'm an idiot just for wondering something and then used an example that isn't like the others then yeah. I don't know why everyone on here gets so aggressive over everything.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, Mulder said:

Using the inflation argument is useless anyway; why would the preview to OW multiplier change so drastically from Ghost in the Shell in the first place?  GITS was also received far more harshly than Alita was.

Again, it's hard to see how it'll play out over the weekend without many solid comparisons, but the fact that it nearly doubled *both* new openers yesterday despite only playing for 7 PM onwards is an achievement in it of itself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The smaller the number, the smaller the amount it’ll increase by. The larger the number, obviously the larger the inflation increase will be. That’s just basic math. And if you wanna do that math, $1.8M in 2016 is equal to like $1.89M today. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Using the inflation argument is useless anyway; why would the preview to OW multiplier change so drastically from Ghost in the Shell in the first place?  GITS was also received far more harshly than Alita was.

Again, it's hard to see how it'll play out over the weekend without many solid comparisons, but the fact that it nearly doubled *both* new openers yesterday despite only playing for 7 PM onwards is an achievement in it of itself.

I wasn't ever really talking about the multiplier just the actual number comparison between two similar films. Yeah Alita's getting way better reception then GiTS did, I never said otherwise. 2.4 million's a decent number like I myself said, but it's competition isn't super fierce either.

1 minute ago, Nova said:

The smaller the number, the smaller the amount it’ll increase by. The larger the number, obviously the larger the inflation increase will be. That’s just basic math. And if you wanna do that math, $1.8M in 2016 is equal to like $1.89M today. 

BOM shows it as higher with their inflation adjustment but it might be wrong on that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

BOM shows it as higher with their inflation adjustment but it might be wrong on that.

I think it is. No way does a movie that made $168M increase by $3M to $171M. Then a movie that made $1.8M increases by $500k to $2.3M. This doesn’t make sense 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Thank you. And I didn't mean to be aggressive @Mulder was just genuinely bewildered.

• Like 2