Litio

4-day Weekend Official| Alita $33.50M, Lego $27.75m, Isn't Romantic $16.64M, WMW $12.21m, HDD2U $11m

Just now, Alli said:

Jim really helped with the marketing.

Hmpf! Wonder who predicted FROM THE CREATORS OF AVATAR AND TITANC would help its gross? Wonder if anyone made a thread or maybe club saying this exact thing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Nova said:

They’re probably taking into consideration that Isn’t It Romantic is going to play really well on Valentine’s Day and give it a bump that Alita isn’t getting. Plus IIR actually opened a day earlier than Alita and some of the demand for it may have been consumed on Wednesday. 

I agree with them...thus, I don't see a $3M difference...but I see all weekend as a Valentine play (at least Fri and Sat, in addition to today), so the gap just seems abnormally large, even for knowing about today's bump...

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Where is the flop gang now? I can't see em'

Well, until it can get close to its budget DOM or sky REALLY high overseas, it would still land in the flop category...right now, it's avoiding the "bomb" category with this opening, but not the flop one:)...

• Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, until it can get close to its budget DOM or sky REALLY high overseas, it would still land in the flop category...right now, it's avoiding the "bomb" category with this opening, but not the flop one:)...

I'm old enough to basically equate "flop" and "bomb" as the same. :ph34r: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I'm old enough to basically equate "flop" and "bomb" as the same. :ph34r: 

Nah...bombs are reserved for the truly disastrous financial performances...flops are still money losers...then you get the underperformers or the disappointers (that can be money losers or makers, depending on expectations)...and so on...

Gotta have a spectrum...b/c how else to compare Mars Needs Moms to Justice League?:)

PS - Or Mortal Engines, which has somehow made it to $81M WW BO on its $100M budget - that one, with its very poor DOM, gets to straddle the line between total bomb and flop, probably sitting in the lesser bomb category:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nah...bombs are reserved for the truly disastrous financial performances...flops are still money losers...then you get the underperformers or the disappointers (that can be money losers or makers, depending on expectations)...and so on...

Gotta have a spectrum...b/c how else to compare Mars Needs Moms to Justice League?:)

"Disappointments". "Underperformers". Exactly. :) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Firepower said:

HDD2U numbers are horrible. When was the last time when sequel had such a huge drop from the first one on its opening weekend?

Alice 2's OW (and domestic gross) was less than 1/4 of the first film. 

1 Alice in Wonderland (2010) BV $334,191,110 3,739 $116,101,023 3,728 3/5/10
2 Alice Through the Looking Glass BV $77,041,381 3,763 $26,858,726 3,763 5/27/16
Edited by KP1025
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Franchise made it muddier for sure, because in the past it would have been a Flop (Mars Needs Moms) and an light underperformer if one for JL. Justice League still did considerably above RPO money or The Meg, it made 95% of Peter Jackson King Kong adjusted for inflation.

5 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

Well, not of the whole world.

Here's a map of Latin America. It only shows countries where a James Cameron movie beats Minions in local currency. plain-white-background.jpg

1dudes avatar is from the oscars where Jim won 3 times and famously quoted Titanic saying "I'm king of the worlddd!!"

However, yeah.. im thinking he is King of the World. South America can isolate themselves and watch minions all day not my problem.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Not quite as bad in percentage terms, but Alice 2's OW (and domestic gross) was less than 1/4 of the first film. 

1 Alice in Wonderland (2010) BV $334,191,110 3,739 $116,101,023 3,728 3/5/10
2 Alice Through the Looking Glass BV $77,041,381 3,763 $26,858,726 3,763 5/27/16

Happy Death day 1 openned to 26m OW, how low this one could go for this to be worst than Alice 2 in percentage term ?

Would it not go at least above 10m for the 3 days ?

I think the first one trailer / music in the trailer was a giant part of is success.

Maybe Russian Doll on Netflix created some fatigue for the high concept also, it got quite popular.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Alli said:

Happy Death Day must be a warning to those clamoring for Edge of Tomorrow part 2. The schtick only works once (and not even then in the case of EOT since it flopped)

EoT is one of the best big budget films of the last decade. HDD was an ok film to see on a long plane ride.

• Like 2