Litio

4-day Weekend Official| Alita $33.50M, Lego $27.75m, Isn't Romantic $16.64M, WMW $12.21m, HDD2U $11m

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Happy Death day 1 openned to 26m OW, how low this one could go for this to be worst than Alice 2 in percentage term ?

Would it not go at least above 10m for the 3 days ?

I think the first one trailer / music in the trailer was a giant part of is success.

Maybe Russian Doll on Netflix creating some fatigue for the high concept also.

I edited my post because the numbers may go up later, but Deadline is currently saying $5.2 million for the 3-Day. 

1 minute ago, KP1025 said:

I edited my post because the numbers may go up later, but Deadline is currently saying $5.2 million for the 3-Day. 

Oh my yeah if that happen it does challenge Alice you are right, that would be a rare "public" stumble for Blum, usually their failure are not sequel (nor big budget) so goes quite in the low profile, if not never released.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

One "small" difference is that RPO and The Meg cost almost twice less than JL.

True enough, even RPO rumored 175-180m budget is still far from JL 300m, but I took movie that were considered nice big success also.

If Justice League was an total original affair like a Jupiter Ascending, no one would have called it a bomb I think, it still more than doubled is big budget.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

In defense of Happy Death Day 2 for a sec, I saw the first one on opening night where it was sold out and everyone in the audience was in middle or high school.  It's definitely gonna target a younger crowd that probably won't go out to see it during the week

Agreed. I’m not expecting some miraculous recovery, but this is the type of film that will play best on a Friday and Saturday night so I’m expecting it to go higher than Deadline is currently predicting. Personally I’m seeing it Saturday night. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Seriously, what the fuck is going on with the box office this year. It can't just be lack of interest because this feels abnormal. I've read some reports on YouTube of people who said they couldn't go to theaters because they were snowed in...... do you guys think the bad weather is really a factor here too?

It's fucking Jan and Feb, dude. Completely normal. 

Just now, tonytr87 said:

It's fucking Jan and Feb, dude. Completely normal. 

I'm very positive that the last couple Jans and Febs have been way more exciting (especially last year). And a bunch of underperformers in a row isn't quite normal (even if some are technically hits, but still expectation-driven underperformers).

But Alita seems like it'll breathe some life into the BO, so there's that.

Hey guys have we all forgotten Mary Poppins first estimates? And the things that followed?

Im not saying Alita will take the same route, maybe it will even rise, who knows. But i woudnt start celebreting when Thursday isnt even over yet.

• Like 1

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Wait, are we trying to pretend that Mary Poppins over performed now?

If you mean me, of course not. It crashlanded on its face after the first estimate. Im saying its not impossible that the same could happen for Alita. Deadlines early estimates arent trustworthy to me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

If you mean me, of course not. It crashlanded on its face after the first estimate. Im saying its not impossible that the same could happen for Alita. Deadlines early estimates arent trustworthy to me.

I misunderstood.

• Like 1

The James Cameron-produced Alita: Battle Angel is beating expectations so far in its box office debut, and is easily dominating Valentine's Day, according to early returns.

Alita is on course to earn $8 million to $9 million on Thursday, including $2.4 million in previews. That puts the movie on pace to earn $36 million to $38 million in its five-day debut if traffic holds, good enough for a first-place finish ahead of Isn't It Romantic and Happy Death Day 2U.