sfran43

Weekend Thread | An Asgardian pops in on p.9 ~ HTTYD3 17m, A:BA 3.1m, IIR 2.2m

Alita's estimated drop is not good. Alita's actuals will not be good either. The film needed a 30-45% drop this weekend because it opened so low. It sucks because I like the film, it's a nice throwback to 80's and 90's special effects action adventure movies but it's just not garnering word of mouth outside of the circles that already bought into it. 

AQM 1139 ww

2 from dom (335), 5 from japan (15 total), 1 from os-japan = 1147 ww

was thinking 338-339 dom and 17-18 japan taking it to CW's 1153 but now looks out of reach.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Wasn't it also that the movie would open higher than 30 (or 40?) mil?

Hey, he put his money where his mouth was and I know he will honor it like a gentleman.  It always sucks when the movies we are so passionate about don't do what we think they should do.

We've all been there.

My hats off to @IronJimbo for not backing down and always believing in it!  You win some and you lose some.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think that there was anything wrong with wanting Alita to make a billion, I wanted it to succeed as well, I just didn't care for some of the intensity. To be fair it did over perform but it just doesn't have enough of a hook for North American audiences and I think that critics being, in my opinion, overly harsh didn't do it any favors. A film like Alita could have benefited from more positive reviews. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

A- cinemascore and good reception according to postTrack and yet Alita still drops almost 60%...

It's almost like those metrics don't mean as much as we think that they do...

To be fair, a 58% drop would be fine if Alita had opened with 60mil but it didn't so it isn't.