sfran43

Weekend Thread | An Asgardian pops in on p.9 ~ HTTYD3 17m, A:BA 3.1m, IIR 2.2m

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

It's really sad that the Mouse got hold of Avatar, they're going to try make as much money with shitty toys and stuff. Hopefully Jim has enough power to tell them to shove it.

Fuck Disney and fuck corps.

Jim is the last defense vs studio film making, anyone rooting against Alita should be ashamed.

Rent boys like JJ get made a fool of and walked all over.

1.  Jim sold them Disney the theme park right, so he willingly got in bed with The Mouse and took their money.

2.  Last defensive against Studio Film Making?  You mean the studio filmmaking that has existed for one hundred years?  Jack Warner says hello. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The next thing I will see will either be Dragon 3 or Captain Marvel. (Only thing I've seen this year in theaters is Aquaman)

(Yeah I know yesterday I said I didn't see anything this year, thinking I saw Aquaman at the very end of last year but then edited that)

(Now what I'll see next at home-I have no idea. I could just watch some random film now if I wanted to)

1 minute ago, Impact said:

The next thing I will see will either be Dragon 3 or Captain Marvel. (Only thing I've seen this year in theaters is Aquaman)

(Yeah I know yesterday I said I didn't see anything this year, thinking I saw Aquaman at the very end of last year but then edited that)

(Now what I'll see next at home-I have no idea. I could just watch some random film now if I wanted to)

Watch Tremors. Its so good.

It's really sad that the Mouse got hold of Avatar, they're going to try make as much money with shitty toys and stuff. Hopefully Jim has enough power to tell them to shove it.

Avatar had over 120 licensed products, an major video game and an Disney theme Park before Disney got hold of Avatar

• Like 6

I'm pointing out how stupid this comment is.

Disney will try their hardest to give Jim a hard time and he needs to be focused on making the perfect film, the fox takeover was seriously bad news for Avatar fans. Fox had respect massive respect for Jim and were letting him do his own thing for the sequels, now the Disney scum will try and put their grubby claws all over Avatar.

Oh yeah, that is so why Disney is evil. I get it now, Fox is not evil because they didn't interfere with Jim's work. Who cares about the evil shit Murdochs and Fox News have done? All that matters is that Jim's movies didn't get hurt.

Also, Disney btw, if you didn't know, Disney has no creative control over the Avatar movies. Cameron owns the IP and characters. 

But let me guess, Jimbo has no understanding of how these big companies work so only Disney is evil while all the other companies are innocent.

Edited by lorddemaxus

10 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Sunday

HTTYD 3 $15.25mn (-400k from studio estimate)

Alita $3.7mn (+350k)

LEGO $2.95mn (-250k)

FWMF $1.9mn

IIR $1.7mn

WMW $1.4mn

HDD2U $1.25mn

Wondering how long Upside can stay in top 10. Maybe above WMW and HDD2U next weekend to stay at 8, should still be in there on CM weekend, maaaaaaybe hang in on the 15th as well depending on how things hold.

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Oh yeah, that is so why Disney is evil. I get it now, Fox is not evil because they didn't interfere with Jim's work. Who cares about the evil shit Murdochs and Fox News have done? All that matters is that Jim's movies didn't get hurt.

Also, Disney btw, if you didn't know, Disney has no creative control over the Avatar movies. Cameron owns the IP and characters. 

But let me guess, Jimbo has no understanding of how these big companies work so only Disney is evil while all the other companies are innocent.

Why do you even have a problem with this?

Disney hate is overwhelmed by the apologist fanboys of Marvel and Star Wars defending it amongst other loonies. 

The difference between Disney and the parent companies of Universal, Fox and WB is that in the latter, as corrupt as they are, do not seem to get involved at all with what gets made or how it gets made. The executives inside the studios may or may not meddle, but as a whole, they are all more focused in making good movies. I mean, I suppose that point can be argued against, but if you talk about the Oscars or awards, all the other studios have an interest in making movies that can compete and have the history of doing so. 

Disney on the other hand, have no history and no desire to do so. Iger has built up a network of brands and their sole decision is to make tentpoles and everything is commercialized and must be squeaky clean. That's why they get painted as they do - and you can't say that it isn't warranted with the amount of sequels, making shot-for-shot live action remakes out of their animated catalogue etc. that they have prioritized. They once had Miramax amongst other small labels but all have since been retired. Their decision making on home video is another strategy that backs up their disdain or just utter apathy for anything outside of their now narrow filmmaking window. 

Then you have the press blackouts and other anti-ethical behaviour from their parks to censorship etc. that the other studios don't have. This is mainly due to Disney's massive and growing clout that they can get away with it unlike say Paramount or Fox. 

Only Disney and Marvel fans love and defend the takeover of Fox because they are in the former case, loonies and in the latter case, only concerned about superhero properties. It's a sad day when a major disappears, especially one as seemingly strong as Fox. (Paramount & Sony have been more and more irrelevant as time goes on.) Output is already growing more homogenous and opportunities are decreasing. It should never have been approved, but America is so beholden to corporations, it probably was expected to happen - as an aside THANK GOD that Disney have finally given up on increasing copyright law, that was unexpected, but yet another thing to blame them for holding hostage and obliterating decades of American culture for Mickey fucking Mouse. 

As much as I dislike Amazon, at least them and Netflix are providing new counters to Disney's otherwise monopoly of future entertainment. 

So, Disney hate is warranted. Their movies may be entertaining but the corporation is disgusting, and unlike the other studios, as Disney answers only to itself, it has no excuse or boogeyman to shove blame onto - and as mentioned before, it's not like Fox or WB are engaged in the same practices that the Disney corporation has done over the years to deserve this hate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nice one lorddex as usual, whats that 4 assumptions presented as facts? New record perhaps.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Nice one lorddex as usual, whats that 4 assumptions presented as facts? New record perhaps.

No assumptions here. Unless you consider Rupert Murdoch being evil an assumption. Or Jim having complete rights to the Avatar movies (you even told me this on Reddit before). Because that would basically make my point.

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 hour ago, BK007 said:

So, Disney hate is warranted. Their movies may be entertaining but the corporation is disgusting, and unlike the other studios, as Disney answers only to itself, it has no excuse or boogeyman to shove blame onto - and as mentioned before, it's not like Fox or WB are engaged in the same practices that the Disney corporation has done over the years to deserve this hate. 

But to only say Disney is evil is just ignorant (which Jimbo has shown multiple times that he is). All these companies make unethical and anti-consumer decisions. But that literally isn't what IronJimbo is talking about. He seems to only care about the movies and that's it. All these companies are bigger than the quality of the movies. I have problem with both the apologists and the haters. The apologists are naive and the haters are aiming their hate at the wrong people.

I still refuse to think that Disney is more evil than Fox or even Amazon (which you mention) just because they are monopolising the film industry and interfering with the production of movies. These companies are a lot bigger than just movies. 

Let's be clear. Disney is a shitty company but so are the others and Disney would be in fact the lesser of the 5 evils. I also hate the Fox merger but the blame should also partially be on the government for not regulating the companies. 

Edited by lorddemaxus

"Disney is not evil"

“Walt Disney Co. studios declined to screen the movie for The Times’ critics, citing what it called unfair coverage of its business ties with the city of Anaheim,”“Walt Disney Co. studios declined to screen the movie for The Times’ critics, citing what it called unfair coverage of its business ties with the city of Anaheim,” the statement read. “The Times will continue to review and cover Disney movies and programs when they are available to the public.

It is unclear whether Disney’s “boycott” extends to advertising (there were no studio ads for Thor: Ragnarok in today’s print editions of the Los Angeles Times, New York Times or Wall Street Journal). Movie ads are a major source of revenue for publications like the Los Angeles Times. Cutting off such revenue would represent a blow to the struggling newspaper, which offered buyouts to senior staff this past summer.

https://deadline.com/2017/11/disney-los-angeles-times-battle-anaheim-coverage-boycott-1202201260/

That was officially reported. I don't want not even to imagine what they do behind the scenes.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Litio said:

"Disney is not evil"

Where did I say that? And honestly, that is nowhere near as bad as the shit Murdoch and Fox News have done in the open. As I said, what Disney does is shitty but the other companies have done the same and worse things. And my problem isn't with Jimbo calling Disney evil. It is his reasons which are basically first world problems. 

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Where did I say that? And honestly, that is nowhere near as bad as the shit Murdoch and Fox News have done in the open. As I said, what Disney does is shitty but the other companies have done the same and worse things. And my problem isn't with Jimbo calling Disney evil. It is his reasons which are basically first world problems. 

To keep bringing up FOX News and Murdoch's political agenda, which is so separate from the rest of FOX that it will keep existing as New FOX after the Disney FOX aquisition, is a little irritating.

From my outsider pov I at least found interesting how FOX entertainment made so much fun of it's own upper management and news networks. I'm gonna miss that edge.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Sunday

HTTYD 3 $15.25mn 15.68

Alita $3.7mn 3.34

LEGO $2.95mn 3.215

FWMF $1.9mn 2.154

IIR $1.7mn 1.985

WMW $1.4mn 1.335

HDD2U $1.25mn 1.254

added studio est for comparison

Alita went up well.

12.4 weekend (-56.5%) from last FSS (28.5).

HTTYD3 about 55.1 FSS.

1 hour ago, WhiteWings said:

To keep bringing up FOX News and Murdoch's political agenda, which is so separate from the rest of FOX that it will keep existing as New FOX after the Disney FOX aquisition, is a little irritating.

From my outsider pov I at least found interesting how FOX entertainment made so much fun of it's own upper management and news networks. I'm gonna miss that edge.

That makes no sense at all. If we are talking about Disney as a whole company, then why can't we talk about Fox as a whole company? Yes, the companies are separate but so are the Walt Disney companies. You don't see Bob Iger or Alan Horn interfering with Lucasfilms or Pixar or Marvel or the theme parks side or whatever. If any interference is happening, it is always from the executive heads of the separate companies, not the parent company (some exceptions like that James Gunn situation).

And I find it funny IronJimbo is just liking whatever is being said against my points. I don't think he actually understands the argument.

• Knock It Off 1

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

That makes no sense at all. If we are talking about Disney as a whole company, then why can't we talk about Fox as a whole company? Yes, the companies are separate but so are the Walt Disney companies. You don't see Bob Iger or Alan Horn interfering with Lucasfilms or Pixar or Marvel or the theme parks side or whatever. If any interference is happening, it is always from the executive heads of the separate companies, not the parent company (some exceptions like that James Gunn situation).

And I find it funny IronJimbo is just liking whatever is being said against my points. I don't think he actually understands the argument.

Do you seriously believe that Lucas film and pixar worked completely independently?