sfran43

Weekend Thread | An Asgardian pops in on p.9 ~ HTTYD3 17m, A:BA 3.1m, IIR 2.2m

29 minutes ago, a2k said:

added studio est for comparison

Alita went up well.

12.4 weekend (-56.5%) from last FSS (28.5).

HTTYD3 about 55.1 FSS.

Well at least Alita got quite a bit farther away from that -60% mark.

11 minutes ago, Premium George said:

Do you seriously believe that Lucas film and pixar worked completely independently? 

Yeah. I think Kathleen Kennedy and John Lasseter (and now Pete Doctor I think?) pretty much have/had full control over the respective companies along with a few other executives. I mean there is a reason why the management of the Lucasfilms and their management of Star Wars is a clusterfuck atm while Marvel isn't. Both companies are being managed by completely different people. 

And I see you @IronJimbo . Why don't you actually try making a proper reply? Because in my eyes, you still don't seem to understand what I am talking about and only seem intent on making blanket statements (such as "Disney is evil").

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah. I think Kathleen Kennedy and John Lasseter (and now Pete Doctor I think?) pretty much have/had full control over the respective companies along with a few other executives. I mean there is a reason why the management of the Lucasfilms and their management of Star Wars is a clusterfuck atm while Marvel isn't. Both companies are being managed by completely different people. 

And I see you @IronJimbo . Why don't you actually try making a proper reply? Because in my eyes, you still don't seem to understand what I am talking about and only seem intent on making blanket statements (such as "Disney is evil").

I literally provided you the proof that it doesn't. You also didn't answer on pixar. You are making a narrative.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Disney is a highly startified company that is extremely image concsious (see your James Gunn example). Fox is/was IMO not the same in that respect.

10 minutes ago, Premium George said:

I literally provided you the proof that it doesn't. You also didn't answer on pixar. You are making a narrative.

I literally can't find anything on Iger pushing TFA TO 2015. All I can find is him saying he chose Solo to stay in May. That doesn't change what I said. Almost all the choices are being made by the heads (or CCOs) of the respective companies.

And what does WDAS have to do with this? Yes, the tech from Pixar is being used in WDAS movies but Lasseter had full control over both companies. He is the reason why WDAS is even called WDAS. I don't get this argument at all. How does WDAS using Pixar's tech influence the company when both companies were being managed by the same guy (Lasseter, not Iger)?

Edited by lorddemaxus

Here's a thing. I love Disney films. They have Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, WDAS. 

Even, when they were in India, they were doing well. 3 out of 4 biggest grossers of all time in India since 2010s were by Disney, until they left market in 2016.

As long as they keep making good films, films that I like, I don't have any problem with them. The corporate face of their is none of my business. Neither I am their/rival stakeholder, nor they do offer direct threat to me where I am. Peace.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

I literally can't find anything on Iger pushing TFA TO 2015. All I can find is him saying he chose Solo to stay in May. That doesn't change what I said. Almost all the choices are being made by the heads (or CCOs) of the respective companies.

And what does WDAS have to do with this? Yes, the tech from Pixar is being used in WDAS movies but Lasseter had full control over both companies. He is the reason why WDAS is even called WDAS. I don't get this argument at all. How does WDAS using Pixar's tech influence the company when both companies were being managed by the same guy (Lasseter, not Iger)?

Literally in that article, he says that he dated every movie. Good on him to take the blame for that. Lasseter was made the boss to make WDAS better which caused the moving of many pixar talent to WDAS. Do you think, so many sequels and drop in quality happend without reasons? Do you think that's working independent?

But go on, Disney is the most virtuous company in the world and doesn't interfer in amything.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Premium George said:

Literally in that article, he says that he dated every movie. Good on him to take the blame for that. Lasseter was made the boss to make WDAS better which caused the moving of many pixar talent to WDAS. Do you think, so many sequels and drop in quality happend without reasons? Do you think that's working independent?

But go on, Disney is the most virtuous company in the world and doesn't interfer in amything.

“I made the timing decision"

He made "the" timing decision as in just Solo. Doesn't say he made the timing decision for every movie. Doesn't seem like huge influence.

And the decline in quality for Pixar started when? 2011? 6 years after they were bough? And stuff like the Cars movies was, in fact, Lasseter's idea, not Iger's.

And I never said Disney is virtuous or doesn't interfere with anything. I literally said Disney is a shitty company. Just the lesser of the 5 evils.

Also, Roger Ailes (until his death), Murdoch, and a few other influential members of News Corp were part of the board of members and Chairmen for subsidiaries in Fox Entertainment Group.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

He made "the" timing decision as in just Solo. Doesn't say he made the timing decision for every movie. 

And the decline in quality for Pixar started when? 2011? 6 years after they were bough? And stuff like the Cars movies was, in fact, Lasseter's idea, not Iger's.

And I never said Disney is virtuous or doesn't interfere with anything. I literally said Disney is a shitty company. Just the lesser of the 5 evils.

Full quote,

I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made — I take the blame — was a little too much, too fast,” he confessed. “You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn't mean we're not gonna make films.

As I was saying, you are making a narrative. And yes it started in 2011, which supports my point. Lasseter was more focused on reviving Wdas. Also, please explain how it is lesser of 5 evils?

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

That makes no sense at all. If we are talking about Disney as a whole company, then why can't we talk about Fox as a whole company? Yes, the companies are separate but so are the Walt Disney companies. You don't see Bob Iger or Alan Horn interfering with Lucasfilms or Pixar or Marvel or the theme parks side or whatever. If any interference is happening, it is always from the executive heads of the separate companies, not the parent company (some exceptions like that James Gunn situation).

And I find it funny IronJimbo is just liking whatever is being said against my points. I don't think he actually understands the argument.

Did I make any comment about how Disney runs things? No, though I do have my own thoughts, sure. But in your own words:

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't think he actually understands the argument.

Edit: Just to make it clear to you, my point here is that other people's wrongs don't make you doing the same right. And it's your repeated use of those narratives that rub me the wrong way.

Edited by WhiteWings

16 minutes ago, WhiteWings said:

Did I make any comment about how Disney runs things?

No, but you were talking about how the entertainment group was separate from News Corp. And my argument is that Disney's subsidiaries are pretty separated too.

18 minutes ago, Premium George said:

Full quote,

I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made — I take the blame — was a little too much, too fast,” he confessed. “You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn't mean we're not gonna make films.

As I was saying, you are making a narrative. And yes it started in 2011, which supports my point. Lasseter was more focused on reviving Wdas. Also, please explain how it is lesser of 5 evils?

My point still stands. "A little too much, too fast". Solo was too close to TLJ. But either way, setting the release date of a movie is the job of a distributor, not the production company. Lucasfilm didn't distribute any of the Star Wars films, the parent company did. And Lasseter was more focused on reviving WDAS, sure but that was his choice. The only big choice that was Iger's was the acquisition of Pixar.

And by the big 5 (until the Fox deal ends), I mean Disney, Comcast, AT&T (who very openly have shown their influence on Warner Media and the content produced by their subsidiaries since the merger), Fox, and Viacom. Comcast actually has a shitty service and has basically caused America's network infrastructure to go back by a few decades. They also try to influence politicians on laws on destroying net neutrality and censorship of free speech (both of which are way worse than Disney using their political influence to fuck up copyright laws), AT&T is basically the same but more to do with the mobile phone industry, Fox is owned by one of the most evil businessmen alive, and honestly I know nothing about Viacom (might actually have the least shit on them). Disney has made many anti-consumer and unethical actions but I don't think any of them are as bad as the crap Comcast, AT&T, and Fox have done.

To get back to the original point. It isn't just Disney that is "evil". Stop ignoring the other evil companies and the shitty government that supports their unethical actions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

This will win VFX next year probably. I don't see any Oscar contending high concept sci-fi movies out this year (I have no confidence in Ad Astra tbh).

2 hours ago, MaxAggressor said:

mhmXuQaA_o.jpg

lion3.jpg

D0OCvUbVAAEShib.jpg

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1