sfran43

Weekend Thread | An Asgardian pops in on p.9 ~ HTTYD3 17m, A:BA 3.1m, IIR 2.2m

33 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Cool. Good thing is Disney can live with that so no, they don't bow to Jim.

You think Disney aren't froathing at the mouth at the thought of all that Avatar money? Remember with their insider knowledge they have a much better grasp at how many billies it's going to make.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

Please tell me if I missed something because I was optimistic enough to believe that Disney would simply become Fox's parent company, similar to what Sega is to Atlus... I thought that Fox would still have a say in their films... What did I miss? Why is everybody talking like Disney will eradicate the Fox label as a whole?

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You think Disney aren't froathing at the mouth at the thought of all that Avatar money? Remember with their insider knowledge they have a much better grasp at how many billies it's going to make.

Of course they are. It would be a blow if Jim took his ball and went home. I'm just saying that Disney doesn't NEED him and Avatar.

It's moot point because I don't think he's going anywhere. Jim and Disney's relationship will be just fine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Please tell me if I missed something because I was optimistic enough to believe that Disney would simply become Fox's parent company, similar to what Sega is to Atlus... I thought that Fox would still have a say in their films... What did I miss? Why is everybody talking like Disney will eradicate the Fox label as a whole?

Reportedly, Fox (excluding Fox 2000 or Searchlight) will have their film line-up diminished, but I believe Fox is still developing their own projects, they just have to report to Alan Horn now. But I'm sure @TalismanRing has the better explanation.

• Like 1

What is with the anti-Disney shit? It isn't like all the other companies that own the major studios aren't as evil. In fact, the original company that owned Fox, the company that owns Universal, and the company that owns Warner are more evil. If you think Disney is more evil than AT&T and 21st Century Fox (which is btw owned by one of the shadiest American businessmen alive) because you think Disney makes generic and bland films then you are either a 12 year old or don't live in the real world. Wouldn't be surprised if Jimbo is both of these things.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 5

21 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

What is with the anti-Disney shit? It isn't like all the other companies that own the major studios aren't as evil. In fact, the original company that owned Fox, the company that owns Universal, and the company that owns Warner are more evil. If you think Disney is more evil than AT&T and 21st Century Fox (which is btw owned by one of the shadiest American businessmen alive) because you think Disney makes generic and bland films then you are either a 12 year old or don't live in the real world. Wouldn't be surprised if Jimbo is both of these things.

Yes, because if anything needed to be defended it's (checks notes) multi-billion dollar mega-conglomerate Disney. Nice to see you sticking up for the little guy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Yes, because if anything needed to be defended it's (checks notes) multi-billion dollar mega-conglomerate Disney. Nice to see you sticking up for the little guy

I am not defending Disney. Just calling out the dummies who think it's just Disney that is evil, especially because they make movies they don't like. All the companies are evil and make many anti-consumer decisions that would be illegal if the US government wasn't a bucket of piss that favours these companies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

I'm taking a friendly jab at @IronJimbo. He coined the term 0.5 A (which means half the worldwide gross of Avatar) to illustrate that only a handful of films have achieved that.

He also made a Alita > AMatW worldwide club so I'm saying that Alita is going to do 75% of AMatW's worldwide gross AT BEST.

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

I'm taking a friendly jab at @IronJimbo. He coined the term 0.5 A (which means half the worldwide gross of Avatar) to illustrate that only a handful of films have achieved that.

He also made a Alita > AMatW worldwide club so I'm saying that Alita is going to do 75% of AMatW's worldwide gross AT BEST.

Ah got it

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

Reportedly, Fox (excluding Fox 2000 or Searchlight) will have their film line-up diminished, but I believe Fox is still developing their own projects, they just have to report to Alan Horn now. But I'm sure @TalismanRing has the better explanation. 

Last report was that Fox will develop 4-5 films a year under that banner.  I gather they'll use it for R  rated material.  Last year they distributed 11 non Searchlight films - 8 not counting the 1 Marvel and 2 Fox 2000.  So 8 films down to 4 or 5.  

Fox Marvel will go under Feige/Marvel.  Fox 2000 and Fox Searchlight will continue as they are, though Fox 2000's output has already slowed in recent years.  Just 4 movies over the last 3 years - 2 in 2016 (Hidden Figures, Jonses) and 2 last year - Love Simon & The Hate U Give.   (they had 6 in 2015 - one a co-production with Disney - Bridge of Spies)

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Last report was that Fox will develop 4-5 films a year under that banner.  I gather they'll use it for R  rated material.  Last year they distributed 12 non Searchlight films - 9 not counting the 1 Marvel and 2 Fox 2000.  So 9 films down to 4 or 5.  

Fox Marvel will go under Feige/Marvel.  Fox 2000 and Fox Searchlight will continue as they are, though Fox 2000's output has already slowed in recent years.  Just 4 movies over the last 3 years - 2 in 2016 (Hidden Figures, Jonses) and 2 last year - Love Simon & The Hate U Give.   (they had 6 in 2015 - one a co-production with Disney - Bridge of Spies)

Well, at least Fox won't have to waste one of those "4-5 film" slots on any X-Men films or Fantastic Four films anymore, if I am correct in that assumption.

Eliminating all the "Marvel films" from last year, Fox released Bohemian Rhapsody, Maze Runner: The Death Cure, The Predator, Red Sparrow, Widows, Bad Times at the El Royale, and The Darkest Minds sometime during 2018. I think the best case scenario, in my opinion, would be for them to commit to the adult-oriented features; basically, eliminating the YA output, per se. So I guess good things can come out of this. I'm sure that the 4-5 films will receive a more centralized focus, more of a handling with care, from the studio. So I guess it wouldn't be all bad.

44 minutes ago, TMP said:

I don't think he's defending Disney. He's just pointing out how stupid that comment was, regardless of what side you're on in the Disney debate.

9 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Well, at least Fox won't have to waste one of those "4-5 film" slots on any X-Men films or Fantastic Four films anymore, if I am correct in that assumption.

Eliminating all the "Marvel films" from last year, Fox released Bohemian Rhapsody, Maze Runner: The Death Cure, The Predator, Red Sparrow, Widows, Bad Times at the El Royale, and The Darkest Minds sometime during 2018. I think the best case scenario, in my opinion, would be for them to commit to the adult-oriented features; basically, eliminating the YA output, per se. So I guess good things can come out of this. I'm sure that the 4-5 films will receive a more centralized focus, more of a handling with care, from the studio. So I guess it wouldn't be all bad.

Their 2019 schedule is 12 films - 2 Marvel,  2 Animation and 2 that were delayed from last year (Alita and Ad Astra) - take those away and there are 6 - one of which was a Kid In King Arthur's Court.   So yeah 5 films a year sans Marvel & Animation isn't far off from where they are now.    Fox had 2020 with 7 planned films - 3 of which were Marvel and two animated.  I don't know what's happening with Blue Sky.    Everything beyond that is Avatar.  I gather the future schedule is thin in part due to the sale that's been going on since 2017.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

I don't think he's defending Disney. He's just pointing out how stupid that comment was, regardless of what side you're on in the Disney debate.

I'm pointing out how stupid this comment is.

Disney will try their hardest to give Jim a hard time and he needs to be focused on making the perfect film, the fox takeover was seriously bad news for Avatar fans. Fox had respect massive respect for Jim and were letting him do his own thing for the sequels, now the Disney scum will try and put their grubby claws all over Avatar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Their 2019 schedule is 12 films - 2 Marvel,  2 Animation and 2 that were delayed from last year (Alita and Ad Astra) - take those away and there are 6 - one of which was a Kid In King Arthur's Court.   So yeah 5 films a year sans Marvel & Animation isn't far off from where they are now.    Fox had 2020 with 7 planned films - 3 of which were Marvel and two animated.  I don't know what's happening with Blue Sky.    Everything beyond that is Avatar.  I gather the future schedule is thin in part due to the sale that's been going on since 2017.

Wel, I'd say that BreakthroughStuberThe Art of Racing in the RainThe Woman in the Window, and Ford V. Ferrari all seem like they could at least be entertaining films. I think The Call of the Wild might be a live-action/animation hybrid, but either way, that film sounds like it could be a really good one. So I think they're going to have a nice 2019. Not sure how Dark Phoenix and New Mutants will do, but Spies in Disguise looks like it could surprise in its own right. So I'll be optimistic. I'll enjoy Fox's last few moments of independence, and I'll try to see all the Fox films I'm interested in.

7 hours ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

traditional animation has been dead ever since Disney thought pitting Winnie the pooh against the last Harry Potter movie was somehow a good idea. "hint hint it wasn't" . and that sucks

I think it was more the underperformance of The Princess and the Frog that killed 2D Animation for Disney Animation considering how much better Tangled performed the year after.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I think it was more the underperformance of The Princess and the Frog that killed 2D Animation for Disney Animation considering how much better Tangled performed the year after.

Considering how long animated movies take in production, I think it is really the long accumulation of title not getting close to the Shrek/Monster Inc, etc... that did it, and not one in particular.

7 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

FOX is dead, "4-5 films" will become 0 in a few years.

Maybe Disney will keep the brand for a live-action Simpsons franchise.

The monopolization of our entertainment is good though, as long as the company that makes the movies I like is doing so!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1