MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

2 minutes ago, Relevation said:

These numbers point to like a $20-30M OW tho with the depressed Christmas IMs

Regardless I’m not too surprised with this result given I was setting internal expectations that were off given the holiday config

So that means you were correct when you said like $375M WW or lower. I actually thought you were being ridiculous but you weren't. My reasoning was that you were correct about The Flash but then people told me 'well just because he was correct about X film doesn't mean he will be correct about Y film'

Edited by HummingLemon496

Forget about u/RelevationAnimations, we need to give one massive stand-up ceremony for u/blownaway4. He has called this movie completely dead on arrival ever since The Marvels presale tracking started. And he hasn't budged a single bit. It turns out he was COMPLETELY correct. Such uncanny accuracy needs to be celebrated.

Look at that pinpoint accuracy, the perfect headshot snipe. And this was a week before official tracking started today. He could see this movie's box office from the inside out. 

Black Adam won, the hierarchy changed. 

Black-Adam-1.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&dpr=1.5

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Ok look for all this talk about how Captain Marvel was carried by Endgame hype, do you actually think an argument can be made that Aquaman also benefitted from being placed between Infinity War and Endgame? Infinity War through Endgame was the absolute peak superhero hype unlike now when CBMs are dusted.

ehhh his argument is a bit flawed. Yes, we are no longer at the height of CBMs, but the CBMs that are bombing have no real draw. (GOTG vol 3 didn't drop-off by that much and spider-verse increased by a lot from its predecessor) (Quatumania had the biggest OW for its franchise)

Deadpool has a clear draw that will (i think) sell well with the GA. Can't really compare a massive Aquaman and Captain Marvel drop-off to Deadpool without using context. 

Edited by TheFlatLannister
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Ok look for all this talk about how Captain Marvel was carried by Endgame hype, do you actually think an argument can be made that Aquaman also benefitted from being placed between Infinity War and Endgame? Infinity War through Endgame was the absolute peak superhero hype unlike now when CBMs are dusted.

I never gave it much thought before, but I think that’s actually a sound argument. There was no better period for superhero movies than the late 2010s, and December was a prime month for a breakout. 

7 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I’m sure Aquaman will be a big flop, but there’s gotta be more to add to the discussion than regurgitating reddit for pages on end.

• Like 7

Not a single shot of Amber in the new trailer. The love between Aquaman and Mera was a big selling point and one of the more positive aspects of the film...the fact that there is no new love interest will be an issue.

But damn not one shot of Heard. I wonder if she is even invited to the movie premiere.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Noctis said:

Not a single shot of Amber in the new trailer. The love between Aquaman and Mera was a big selling point and one of the more positive aspects of the film...the fact that there is no new love interest will be an issue.

But damn not one shot of Heard. I wonder if she is even invited to the movie premiere.

I've noticed the exact same, there's literally only that one shot of her from the first trailer in all of the promotional material. They really left the romance aside and decided to focus only on the bromance.

I don't think it makes financial sense, so I wonder how toxic that workplace was for them to decide to just ditch the romance like this, which really was one of the selling points of the first movie, especially to the ladies.

• Like 1

I think this film has a lot of the same issues The Marvels had. It's a sequel to a movie people thought was fine but didn't really love. It's a character that people aren't really passionate about. It's connections to a larger franchise aren't doing it any favors at the moment. And worst of all, the behind the scenes drama has so far eclipsed the marketing campaign.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Noctis said:

I think you can see her at 35 seconds if you squint