MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

So James Wan should deal with mockering because Nia did? 

One thing wrong doesn’t make the other thing right, this is such a bizarre and bad faith comparison. 

Nome of them should be disrespected over movies that clearly have production problems beyond them.

Technically he isn’t getting the same treatment. DaCosta got articles right before her movie came out claiming that she “abandoned” her movie, articles about not attending a screening on her birthday or something, and Iger claiming the most controlling studio in Hollywood let her run loose with an expensive film in a giant franchise due to Covid. Wan isn’t really getting the same treatment (so far). People aren’t even really talking about Wan directly.

Neither should be treated poorly but it’s not the same. And the universe is getting rebooted anyway.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

So James Wan should deal with mockering because Nia did? 

One thing wrong doesn’t make the other thing right, this is such a bizarre and bad faith comparison. 

Nome of them should be disrespected over movies that clearly have production problems beyond them.

No one is mocking James Wan, though. I didn't even use the word "mock" in my comment, so I don't see how my comment was a bad faith comparison when you brought in your own baggage to what I wrote.

The disrespect I was referring to was folks dancing on the grave of The Marvels. And if people were allowed to do that, I don't see what's wrong with dancing on the grave of Aquaman 2. 

12 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Technically he isn’t getting the same treatment. DaCosta got articles right before her movie came out claiming that she “abandoned” her movie, articles about not attending a screening on her birthday or something, and Iger claiming the most controlling studio in Hollywood let her run loose with an expensive film in a giant franchise due to Covid. Wan isn’t really getting the same treatment (so far). People aren’t even really talking about Wan directly.

Neither should be treated poorly but it’s not the same. And the universe is getting rebooted anyway.

Definitely, while i have to say i think Disney was the first ones to throw Nia under the bus. 

IIRC executives was the ones leaking how she abandon the set and other things after she rightfully said it was a Feige movie. After that, media was milking this.

Disney is despicable, it’s not the first time they throw minorities to be eaten alive by public, same thing happened with Star Wars especially Kelly Marie Train. 

WB disrespect behavior at least isn’t attacking the talents directly (except when they tax off them), just treat them like shit during production and pretending they don’t exist in promotion / premiere.

But yes obviously as a woman and new comer Nia will always be a bigger target. Just found really bizarre how the member was openly questioning why people want Wan to be respected which is such a ridiculous thing to ask, and mixing Nia into it. 

But anyway, i think this discussion is useless at this point and i think i already made my point anyway so i’ll end it here, but thanks for respectful conversation.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Definitely, while i have to say i think Disney was the first ones to throw Nia under the bus. 

IIRC executives was the ones leaking how she abandon the set and other things after she rightfully said it was a Feige movie. After that, media was milking this.

Disney is despicable, it’s not the first time they throw minorities to be eaten alive by public, same thing happened with Star Wars especially Kelly Marie Train. 

WB disrespect behavior at least isn’t attacking the talents directly (except when they tax off them), just treat them like shit during production and pretending they don’t exist in promotion / premiere.

But yes obviously as a woman and new comer Nia will always be a bigger target. Just found really bizarre how the member was openly questioning why people want Wan to be respect which is such a ridiculous thing to ask, and mixing Nia into it. 

But anyway, i think this discussion is useless at this point and i think i already made my point anyway so i’ll end it here, but thanks for respectful conversation.

Wait, how is Disney to blame for a Variety article, one attempting to eviscerate Marvel as a whole.

And how is Warner Brothers treating Wan with respect when they barely promoted his film in the weeks leading up to release, didn't even hold a red carpet, and aren't allowing reviews to come out until... the day of release, I think...? 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Wait, why does James Wan deserve the respect Nia DaCosta wasn't getting? He's got his thriving horror career to fall back on.

Well to be fair a lot of people also called out the celebratory vibe that was going on in The Marvels thread.  As well as casting tremendous side eyes at all of the grave-dancing going on.

Don't get to the page count that thread got without a decent amount of pushback (and not just from Marvel Die Hards)

EDIT:::

I think I misread which of @ThomasNicole's posts/complaints you were responding to so disregard this as a reply.

Could edit out this post but I think I'll leave it as I do in fact find the gravedancing that was going on in The Marvels thread and over here to be... Well, several words come to mind but I'll leave them unsaid. 🙂 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Wait, how is Disney to blame for a Variety article, one attempting to eviscerate Marvel as a whole.

And how is Warner Brothers treating Wan with respect when they barely promoted his film in the weeks leading up to release, didn't even hold a red carpet, and aren't allowing reviews to come out until... the day of release, I think...? 

The variety piece was written based on sources very closed to the production, so it came from someone at Disney / Marvel. Certainly not the big bosses, but still it was internal information. 

And WB is being super disrespectful, that’s what i said. I just said they disrespect towards talent is less worse than Disney, which imo is the worst company these days when it comes to treatment of minority talents. 

Not only with Nia, but the constant attacks to SW female and POC talents that wasn’t supported by Disney early on, the internal pressure of Disney to keep Pixar from telling LGBT+ stories etc. 

Anyway, back to Aquaman 2, this video is very sad. Super weird to see Momoa which is usually so energetic and excited being so somber in what’s supposed to be the premiere of his movie. 

• Sad 5

31 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah just ask Ray Fisher. WB using Batgirl, a movie staring and directed by POC, and calling it un-releasable is more disrespectful than anything Disney has done to any talent.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Veclozy said:

Yeah just ask Ray Fisher. WB using Batgirl, a movie staring and directed by POC, and calling it un-releasable is more disrespectful than anything Disney has done to any talent.

I mean it isn’t directly a competition to decide who is worse objectively, but you’re right, Bargirl was worse imo, i forgot about it.

Just now, Veclozy said:

The ethnicity of actors / directors or anyone involved for that matter has nothing to do with the quality of the movie they star in or the quality of their performances. 

for all we know the movie was mediocre at worst but WB thought there was no market for it so they ate their loses and decided to bury the movie.

Disney has also buried multiple shows and movies, and many of them were pretty "white" so,......

Edited by Belakor
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

No one is mocking James Wan, though. I didn't even use the word "mock" in my comment, so I don't see how my comment was a bad faith comparison when you brought in your own baggage to what I wrote.

The disrespect I was referring to was folks dancing on the grave of The Marvels. And if people were allowed to do that, I don't see what's wrong with dancing on the grave of Aquaman 2. 

To be fair, there has always been people "dancing on the grave" of a movie (or franchise) and there are people complaining about that behavior.

4 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I know people say this but I can't figure out what Disney is accused of actually doing there beyond not giving her an expanded role (which seems tied into obvious ways JJ was running away from Last Jedi). I can't think of anything involving Disney throwing the actress under the bus.

2 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Is WB pushing Jason Mamoa for any Late Night shows..

Am not seeing much marketing / exposure for this film.

I mean for Wonka, Timothee Chalamet hosted SNL..

It certainly has a big outdoor marketing campaign here. But no Graham Norton interview etc.