charlie Jatinder

Wednesday (2/27/2019) Numbers - HTTYD 3 $2.05mn.

An 85 domestic finish, and (hopefully) 500 WW would I think send hopefully the right message to studios: that there is enough interest in original big budget fare for them to invest, but the quality and mass appeal needs to be there for it to really hook general audiences. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

An 85 domestic finish, and (hopefully) 500 WW would I think send hopefully the right message to studios: that there is enough interest in original big budget fare for them to invest, but the quality and mass appeal needs to be there for it to really hook general audiences. 

87.5 + 140 Ch + 207.5 OS-Ch-Jp + 15 Jp = 450 ww around maximum

430-440 more realistic imo

doing half the prod budget dom and being china heavy will reduce the returns.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

I see the bar for US domestic "success" for Alita has now come down from some $140m to $85m.

I do not think that anybody will argue that $85m would be a success. Just a signal that there is enough interest to merit a sequel. And i can fully understand the general smuggness that is being on display here because of the crap that was spewed by some of the more fanatic Cameron believers, but it still hurts a little.

It would have been a nice change of pace if this could have worked out differently.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, a2k said:

Insane. Wonder Woman did $90 odd total in China. This one could beat that in OW.

Non avengers SH felt stuck around that $90-120M mark and all the sudden Venom/Aquaman and now it seem CM to have broke that ceiling.

• Like 2

I am afraid Detective Pikachu is going that route where everyone is predicting over billie clubs and get disappointed by a reasonable number. I am not saying it will, but wasn't Alita and Glass predicted to have major high numbers and even MPR was out of this world with some of the predictions. Some people need to calm down and throw reasonable and achievable numbers around.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, chuck0 said:

I do not think that anybody will argue that $85m would be a success. Just a signal that there is enough interest to merit a sequel. And i can fully understand the general smuggness that is being on display here because of the crap that was spewed by some of the more fanatic Cameron believers, but it still hurts a little.

It would have been a nice change of pace if this could have worked out differently.

How do you rationale think that? 

The signal is, US domestic at minimum, that no, there isn't merit for a sequel. It cost way too much and returned too little at the domestic box office which is where the maximum amount of returns come from. 

The returns on international receipts are far, far less and it may not perform there like the Billy club was expecting either. That would further signal defeat.

54 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

How do you rationale think that? 

The signal is, US domestic at minimum, that no, there isn't merit for a sequel. It cost way too much and returned too little at the domestic box office which is where the maximum amount of returns come from. 

The returns on international receipts are far, far less and it may not perform there like the Billy club was expecting either. That would further signal defeat.

In german there is a saying that translates to "hope dies last". I guess that applies to me in this case. The movie could have done quite a bit worse (see Mortal Engines) which would have truly destroyed any kind of hope. To me there is still a small glimmer left... which might actually be more cruel than a flat out flop because then i could at least have closure.

• Like 1

I'm disappointed that Alita isn't doing better because I enjoyed the film quite a bit and I would be onboard for a sequel. But yeah the amount the internet has tried to push this film so hard and seeing how it's not really affecting the box office shows that they're not as influential as they would think. 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, John Marston said:

These poor weekdays will give Dragon a solidly lower total than 2 despite a bigger opening weekend 

Theoretically the larger weekends will help balance some of it. But its not doing poorly, just normally.