DeeCee

Wednesday Numbers Thread | VERY EARLY:CM $8.5-9M

13 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Do people really think the studio gets all the theatre takings or that marketing costs nothing?

Its normal that a tentpole movie breaks even at 3 times its budget.

I would gather it has more to do with the fact that it's nowhere near 750 million to break even and the fact that it will recoup most of it's cost just from America alone. It's going to be a big profit maker and frankly I'm glad it was after Ant Man and the Wasp barely did enough.

13 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Do people really think the studio gets all the theatre takings or that marketing costs nothing?

A $750M breakeven doesn't make sense for a film whose budget is only $152M. That mentioned figure is the breakeven point of films with around $250M budget. Anyway, I don't think Deadline implied that $750M is breakeven. It just depends on how one reads the sentence that they used.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I'll bite.

As usual an assumption based on your bias against Mavel, or actually read in an article by a reputable news-outlet?

It's based on what I saw here in my country, there was a much bigger and expensive marketing effort for Captain Marvel than usual.

22 minutes ago, AndyK said:

No, I don't think they get all the takings but I recall that the rule is 2.5x budget and I can't imagine that CM cost 200M or more (looked like a TV Trek save really great de-age effect on SLJ which couldn't be that expensive). 

Either way, it's gonna blow past "break even" point and make profit so that's that.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

It's based on what I saw here in my country, there was a much bigger and expensive marketing effort for Captain Marvel than usual.

I bet Captain Marvel is net profit by Saturday

Edited by cdsacken

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

No word about that was to read in the Brazil thread

It can be correct, but out of my own experience I also am aware about if I am knowing about a project, like or dislike it,... I see a lot of advertisement. If not, I miss them

Brazil is one country, your wording is more generalizing, see overseas = that part at least makes it an assumption in my POV

1 minute ago, UserHN said:

Which country?

Brazil, its under his user's Avatar to see, like my country is there to read too = Germany

• Like 1

It's pretty obvious the $750M is NOT the breakeven point. Captain Marvel's budget was $152M and the most Disney has spent marketing an MCU film was Infinity War with $150M+. Unless you wanna insinuate Disney decided to spend more money marketing Captain Marvel than Infinity War there's no way the breakeven point is anywhere close to $750M. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

It's pretty obvious the $750M is NOT the breakeven point. Captain Marvel's budget was $152M and the most Disney has spent marketing an MCU film was Infinity War with $150M+. Unless you wanna insinuate Disney decided to spend more money marketing Captain Marvel than Infinity War there's no way the breakeven point is anywhere close to $750M. 

Which it absolutely did not. Here in England I saw little to nothing in Cambridge promoting Captain Marvel. Contrast that with Infinity War and there crap everywhere.

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

It's goddamn typo, ugh.

It will break even at end of week one, when gross will be $570mn not $750mn.

:sarah:

If that's accurate I believe that's a faster breakeven then Infinity War. Holy crap.

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

It's goddamn typo, ugh.

Over at Deadline, as they're seeing your post:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yeah that makes more sense lol. Like there's no way Captain Marvel will be at $750M by the end of the week. Of course our favourite Youtubers won't care.

Will be there couple days later though. 

24 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

It's goddamn typo, ugh.

That would put budget + marketing at approx $230m, so they are wrong.