DeeCee

Wednesday Numbers Thread | VERY EARLY:CM $8.5-9M

3 minutes ago, stripe said:

This is BOT. Daily meltdowns and overreactions are part of its DNA

yeah also it had a bigger bump than expected so the drop will also be bigger ,the bump was 33.3 % and beauty and the beast was at 32% ,also beauty and the beast dropped 35% the next day so why we should be suprised if captain marvel has a drop of 40 % ?

49 minutes ago, baumer said:

Without having read the article, I find it funny that Deadline sites 750 as the break even.  Marvel isn't making movies just for profit and they never really have since IM.  They do it for the money no doubt but they also do it to set up future earnings.  CM is really just a trailer for the next phase of the Marvel universe.  Even if it needed a billion to break even, it wouldn't really matter because their future earnings is all part of the plan.  And I'm not sure how DL came up with 750, that seems kind of absurd.  So they are basically saying Marvel spent 375 million on the film?  I doubt it that's high and even if it is, this notion that you need to earn double your total expenditures is nonsense.

As for what it will potentially make this weekend, I think the drop will be 55-60%, just like most Marvel second weekends.  This is not going to drop less than 50% did like BP.  Also, it's March Break here in Canada this week so the Friday jumps will be slightly lower than normal.  

Spring break in the States start on Friday right?

1 hour ago, baumer said:

....And I'm not sure how DL came up with 750, that seems kind of absurd.  So they are basically saying Marvel spent 375 million on the film?  I doubt it that's high and even if it is,....

In the other article it was said ~ $150 budget (for the newer members: that is not the production budget, that calculates the tax rebates,... in), and the same for international marketing and distribution costs = $300m. Hence why they said $650m+.

Not sure where the numbers at Deadline come from.

1 hour ago, baumer said:

And I'm not sure how DL came up with 750, that seems kind of absurd. 

3 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Not sure where the numbers at Deadline come from.

Re:

37 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

It will breakeven at the end of Week One, but total at Week One would be $570mn, not $750mn.

The film would be costing $400mn Approx to Marvel. $200mn in from Week One worldwide theatricals and $200mn from ancillaries.

Every penny made from here on point i.e. $225mn Approx ($530mn+ Gross) will be Profit. Yeah there will be taxation and stuff but let's talk raw profit.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

The film would be costing $400mn Approx to Marvel

source by the same where you get yyour numbers?

Not doubting, trying to understand which details are based on what

Cause that differs to all what I've read up to today, to what is listed still.

Budget = fo me the official agreed on budget, not the higher real costs, see tax rebates and other forms of income /... calculated in/out whatever... plus distribution

People use terms sometimes in different ways

1 hour ago, poweranimals said:

Why is Deadline reporting that Captain Marvel needs to make $750 million to break even? That doesn't sound right. 

https://deadline.com/2019/03/captain-marvel-tuesday-box-office-record-1202574950/

To be fair, this is the same standard that the industry has had on DC (it was getting ridiculous right after BvS). So I'm lowkey glad they're doing this for Marvel too.

I figure that break even point is the absolute one, like every penny it makes from there is profit. I would think that usually break even is calculated by the studio projecting ancillary (and even merchandise) so that's why we're used to such a low figure in comparison. 

With everything in mind, Disney should be making money off this with just its OW which is 3x its budget. 

• Like 1

Just now, terrestrial said:

source by the same where you get yyour numbers?

Not doubting, trying to understand which details are based on what

Cause that differs to all what I've read up to today, to what is listed still.

Budget = fo me the official agreed on budget, not the higher real costs, see tax rebates and other forms of income /... calculated in/out whatever... plus distribution

People use terms sometimes in different ways

COP $150mn + Release Cost $150mn Approx + $100-125mn participation, video cost, interest and other overheads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

COP $150mn + Release Cost $150mn Approx + $100-125mn participation, video cost, interest and other overheads.

Ahh, pos 3 usually does not get included into those kind of articles (in the past), on the other side: other forms of income neither. Video usually was with Release costs.

Will be interesting to see if they'll change those articles in general in the future

edit: if yes, they should add the income already known too.

Like e.g. money earned for product placement, tax rebates to expect, or it would be a bit too one sided

Edited by terrestrial

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Why is Deadline reporting that Captain Marvel needs to make $750 million to break even? That doesn't sound right. 

https://deadline.com/2019/03/captain-marvel-tuesday-box-office-record-1202574950/

It didn't say that the breakeven is $750M. It said that by the end of 2nd weekend, the gross will be $750M, which is past its breakeven point.

"Captain Marvel will pass break even in the theatrical window by the end of the week with $750M worldwide."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Trolls are now claiming that it's so high because Disney is buying out all the tickets to inflate the box office. I swear I can't with these people. 

They are making the Monday drop some huge disaster. Like the normal drop is between-10% to -20%. Lol. Aah what fake trolls these YouTubers are. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Captain Marvel had a much bigger marketing effort than usual, at least overseas.

I'll bite.

As usual an assumption based on your bias against Mavel, or actually read in an article by a reputable news-outlet?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Wednesday Numbers

1. Captain Marvel: $8.7mn
  2. HTTYD 3: $1.58mn (+7% last week)
  3. Madea Funeral: $1mn
  4. LEGO 2: $0.51mn (+50% last week)
  5. Alita: $0.36mn

How about them having a higher next weekend than the weekend gone by.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, tawasal said:

They are making the Monday drop some huge disaster. Like the normal drop is between-10% to -20%. Lol. Aah what fake trolls these YouTubers are. 

Flerthers are offended this suggestion of a global conspiracy. There can only be one.

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

if CM needs 750M to break even (Lol, Deadline ever change) what did Solo need, 2 billie? :rofl:

Do people really think the studio gets all the theatre takings or that marketing costs nothing?

Its normal that a tentpole movie breaks even at 3 times its budget.

8 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Do people really think the studio gets all the theatre takings or that marketing costs nothing?

Its normal that a tentpole movie breaks even at 3 times its budget.

150x3 = 450

In the other article they (I think it was not Deadline???) said even-breaking-point is $650m

In the actual article (Deadline) they said ~ will reach $750m at date.... and ~ will be even by then also = can be still $650m break point with that wording.

More like, going into weekend it was not even, going out of the weekend it is alreaday.

Maybe confusion supporting wording?

• Like 2