Eric the IF

Weekend Thread (3/15-3/17): Captain Marvel 68, Wonder Park 15.8, Five Feet Apart 13.2, Dragon 9.3, Madea 7.8

12 minutes ago, Green245 said:

No. There are LOTS of other reasons. But strong characters of both genders and characters of different ethnic backgrounds are a factor in their worldwide success.

Some irritations cease to exist when you ignore them. They feed off your attention. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

18th biggest OW into 18th biggest 2nd wknd is quite a remarkable coincidence. Will be really tickled it CM can carry the streak into the 3rd wknd, but it's a pretty narrow window to hit (37.3-37.9).

Also the 7th biggest MCU opening and 7th biggest second weekend.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, nevermore said:

Ah, indeed, behind the same 6 of Avengers, BP, IM3, CW. To maintain 7th next weekend would be 33-34.5M, above CW but newly below GotG2. Think it will come in 5th or 6th depending on placement relative to IM3's 35.8M.

23 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Grace Randolph saying what we have all been saying about those Youtube incels that make fake conspiracies about CM's boxoffice. She has been very likable recently. 

Lol. She just had a meltdown about the Gunn rehire saying that Disney lied and they never really fired him. She also said Disney has lost its magical and clean, family-friendly image with this rehire 😑. She's overreacting. Lol

11 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Lol. She just had a meltdown about the Gunn rehire saying that Disney lied and they never really fired him. She also said Disney has lost its magical and clean, family-friendly image with this rehire 😑. She's overreacting. Lol

I am talking about the Captain Marvel bit, as I have mentioned YouTube incels. 

40 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

18th biggest OW into 18th biggest 2nd wknd is quite a remarkable coincidence. Will be really tickled it CM can carry the streak into the 3rd wknd, but it's a pretty narrow window to hit (37.3-37.9).

31 minutes ago, nevermore said:

26 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

might end on MCU #7 dom and MCU #7 ww as well

It could also end #18 WW (optimistic) and #18 DOM (very optimistic).        

Can't simultaneously satisfy all of these finishes though 😛 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

That's why they dominate the franchise division of the box office (3rd place to 100th)? No other reasons?

you know i figured i go look and the MCU's 7.15Bil dom total is equal to the combined gross of all Franchises to make less than 160mil

2 hours ago, UserHN said:

I just thought Disney never wanted to fire him in the first place,

and losing him to DC and not being able to find a good director replacement does hurt him.

At the end of this saga, congrats to James Gunn who not only got reinstated as the director of GOTG,

but also getting a new big franchise film in his pocket 

53 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Seems like $19.5mn Sunday. Will recheck in 2 hours.

-34% on Sun

If Fri, Sat don't go up then that's 68 weekend (-56%) and 265 cume.

265 + 68*2.0 = 401

265 + 68*2.5 = 435

EDIT: Rth had give new Fri and Sat of 18.9 and 29.1. That gives a 33% Sun drop and 67.5 weekend.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, a2k said:

-34% on Sun

If Fri, Sat don't go up then that's 68 weekend (-56%) and 265 cume.

265 + 68*2.0 = 401

265 + 68*2.5 = 435

If I'm remembering Rth's comments last night correctly, more likely that F,Sat go down than up.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, a2k said:

-34% on Sun

If Fri, Sat don't go up then that's 68 weekend (-56%) and 265 cume.

265 + 68*2.0 = 401

265 + 68*2.5 = 435

IMO better comp will be using Sunday.

BaTB did $185mn after $28mn Sunday, if followed that CM will do $145mn after Sunday i.e. $410mn.

While if follow GoTG2, $141.5mn after $20.8 Sunday, that would be $130mn i.e. $395mn.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

If I'm remembering Rth's comments last night correctly, more likely that F,Sat go down than up.

missed that one.

Edited by a2k