Eric the IF

Weekend Thread (3/15-3/17): Captain Marvel 68, Wonder Park 15.8, Five Feet Apart 13.2, Dragon 9.3, Madea 7.8

3 minutes ago, john2000 said:

agreed the only thing that had affect was the spring breaks imo some schools had the past week

I wonder how much the box office is being depressed by Lent :hahaha:

3 hours ago, AndyK said:

LOL what has St Paddys day got to do with anything ?

Because more people go to bars, drink and have other things to do than to go to the movies.  Bars were opening here at 9AM with live entertainment.  St. Paddy's Day on a Sunday definitely will affect the movie business.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Because more people go to bars, drink and have other things to do than to go to the movies.  Bars were opening here at 9AM with live entertainment.  St. Paddy's Day on a Sunday definitely will affect the movie business.

Saturday too with bar crawls across all major cities. Parades as well. People start drinking as early as 7AM.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, baumer said:

There aren't that many Irish in the US to have any effect.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 5

16 minutes ago, john2000 said:

can i ask why we talking like its a big deal the  drop went from 54.8% to 56%  

Not saying it is a big deal, just pointing out that St Patrick's Day is just another excuse to drink - no need to be Irish-American.

6 minutes ago, XO21 said:

It did exatcly like BP last year 

Well to be fair BP had a much stronger drop, since it opened higher.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, AndyK said:

As a New Yorker I can tell you - more people identify as Irish in the US than there are people in Ireland by quite a margin, St. Paddy's Day is HUGE in the US. 🍹

• Like 2

3 hours ago, john2000 said:

can i ask why we talking like its a big deal the  drop went from 54.8% to 56%  

How is anyone saying this is a big deal?  The film was over estimated on Sunday and some of us are offering reasons as to why.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, AndyK said:

not one of the friends of my son is of Irish descent, doesn't hinder them to visit some Irish bar or..

(our family is also not of Irish descent, just to avoid a possible misunderstanding)

Not saying it will have a big impact (lets assume under 3%) at he whole weekend, but maybe at which day during a weekend something slightly unusal can happen for reasons

34 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Not saying it is a big deal, just pointing out that St Patrick's Day is just another excuse to drink - no need to be Irish-American.

Well to be fair BP had a much stronger drop, since it opened higher.

I was comparing daily bumps. March 16-18 2018 was Black Panther's 5th weekend, so not really a direct comparison but still.

56 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Lol, St. Patricks Day excuses? That's like saying Wrestlmania has influence over the box-office. :hahaha:

LOL

If this weren't an MCU-centric weekend, there would not be all these excuses to justify the decreasing numbers. The narrative would be "Look, the WOM is not as amazing as we all believed."