Bordlove

Biggest Box Office Disappointments of the Decade

32 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

does anyone remember how it was when TPM came out? was it the same like after TLJ or worse/better?

It’s almost impossible to really know, 2 decades ago fandom was so different in terms of internet and social media enabled communication.

Edited by Thanos Legion

biggest disappointments of the decade ranked ranked in terms of expectations of how much they would do

1. Solo 

2. Justice League

3. Star Trek Into Darkness

4. Transformers: The Last Knight

5. Mary Poppins Returns

6. Independence Day Resurgence

7. Scream 4

also, the following movies still made loads of money though loads expected them to make more, even the studio themselves. 

How to Train Your Dragon 2

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Iron Man 2

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Thor: The Dark World

Spectre

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice

X-Men: Apocaylpse

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2

probably some more that could fit on both lists but those are the ones that come into mind immediately 

Edited by John Marston

Independence Day: Resurgence

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Transformers: The Last Knight

Scream 4

Justice League

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part

Alice Through the Looking Glass

The Good Dinosaur

Alita: Battle Angel (Mostly Domestically but a little overseas too - I was predicting 175 million dom/500 million worldwide.)

Just now, Yandereprime101189 said:

Independence Day: Resurgence

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Transformers: The Last Knight

Scream 4

Justice League

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part

Alice Through the Looking Glass

The Good Dinosaur

Alita: Battle Angel (Mostly Domestically but a little overseas too - I was predicting 175 million dom/500 million worldwide.)

forgot about those two, Yeah those go on my top list

• Like 1

I hate to say this but I gotta say Guardians of the Galaxy Vol2, at least on the international market. I thought it would be one of the biggest ww. Unfortunately, overseas countries weren't that enthusiastic!

Edited by Bordlove

2 minutes ago, Bordlove said:

I hate to say this but I gotta say Guardians of the Galaxy Vol2, at least on the international market. I thought it would be one of the biggest ww. Unfortunately, overseas countries weren't that enthusiastic!

Under 150 million away ww from a billion is not a disappointment in any sense of the word, come on now. ((It increased nearly a 100 million in only 3 years))

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Under 150 million away ww from a billion is not a disappointment in any sense of the word, come on now. ((It increased nearly a 100 million in only 3 years))

But we're talking about a massive breakout here and a strong MCU brand.. and BABY GROOT! Many had predicted baby groot alone could do so much damage.

Just now, Bordlove said:

But we're talking about a massive breakout here and a strong MCU brand.. and BABY GROOT! Many had predicted baby groot alone could do so much damage.

It's a sequel that, increased from the prior movie, that's incredibly rare. 

12 minutes ago, Mulder said:

To be fair, we got someone on here calling for TFA to be on this list so I wouldn't say GOTG 2 is that crazy. I myself had it at 1.1 billion or something insane like that. 

19 minutes ago, Mulder said:

i agree and thought gotg2 performed exceedingly well, far far from being an under-performer, never-mind biggest ones of the decade. but to each his own depending on expectations, making this a subjective exercise.

just noting that out of the 100m ww increase from gotg1, 55m was from dom, 15m from china and 30m+ from os-china. think china and os-china both could have been better but overall a great result.

if a movie in gotg2's ww range can be a disappointment then has to be bvs.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mulder said:

It's a sequel that, increased from the prior movie, that's incredibly rare. 

Increased by a mere 10% or something. It should have done much more since the prior movie was well-received. 

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

To be fair, we got someone on here calling for TFA to be on this list so I wouldn't say GOTG 2 is that crazy. I myself had it at 1.1 billion or something insane like that. 

It's JCS he's concern trolling.

2 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I don't agree GOTG Vol 2's gross was disappointing but it was surprising that Thor: Ragnarok beat it pretty easily OS. 

Thor has European support that GoTG doesn't have.

2 hours ago, Mulder said:

Thor has European support that GoTG doesn't have.

Actually its the other way around. Guardians was stronger in Europe than Thor. In Asia and Latin America Thor did better. 

Both the guardians movies have underperformed in Asian countries (especially SK) compared to other MCU movies. I think the humour, with a lot of pop cultural references, did not translate well. Thor’s comedy is more of the slapstick kind which is easier to understand. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bordlove said:

That is your opinion, but to each his own. 

Sure and it's a opinion shared by the majority of audiences, rotten tomatoes, metacritic, imdb, cinemablend and countless others. Doesn't mean it's right, I've seen very few who thought GOTG2 was better. Cinemascore did give both an A.

To me GOTG is one of my favorite of all Marvel films. GOTG 2 is not inside the top 10.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1